New Magnetar Blu Ray player has analog outs. $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Besides being able to send pure DSD/SACD, using analog outs allows one to bypass the lousy audio of most AVRs. Just connect the analog out of the unit to your preamp or integrated amp and you have great analog audio.
What preamp do you have that does more than 2 channels?

I don't mind correcting some issues, but never into anything digital because it truncates the bit depth, no way around that. I want purity in the digital domain.
Not all of my playback is 192 or 96 to begin with. Isn't it presumptuous to assume we are always starting up with such high bit rates.
What does that have to do with your claim of degrated sound quality claimed in the first post?
You lost me?

Remember when they used to say "but digital does not lose anything ever because it's digital" LOL!
As true today as ever.

I answered you perfectly directly above.
You didn't answer me.
NO you did not answer. Are you being presumptuous? Yes you are.

I do not listen to 96 or 192 during most of my listening sessions, so your point in moot.

The intended direction is no one will own hard copies of music, movies ect. you will only
rent and stream.
I wouldn't leave out downloads, I think there will be a demand for "owning" going
on for some time.
But that could be just a reflection on my personal feelings. (y)

I have two important questions about this new unit. I don't know if anyone here can give an answer. I have been calling a few places to fine out but with no luck.
1. Does this play MCH SACD to the analog output? (I am assuming it does.)
2. If I feed my pc audio from foobar into the USB in on the back of this unit, will it output my MCH files out through the analog 7.1 channels? If it does not, I won't be buying this unit. Big deal breaker for me. Thanks for anyone who may know the answer, especially to the second question.

I have two important questions about this new unit. I don't know if anyone here can give an answer. I have been calling a few places to fine out but with no luck.
1. Does this play MCH SACD to the analog output? (I am assuming it does.)
2. If I feed my pc audio from foobar into the USB in on the back of this unit, will it output my MCH files out through the analog 7.1 channels? If it does not, I won't be buying this unit. Big deal breaker for me. Thanks for anyone who may know the answer, especially to the second question.
I don't know this exact player. But I do know that HDMI output (over USB) from PC is where things get really good with multichannel.

I don't know this exact player. But I do know that HDMI output (over USB) from PC is where things get really good with multichannel.
Why USB? HDMI has much high speed/bandwidth.
Magnetar UDP-800 unboxing/review
Without multich analog output, what makes it worth any more than the Sony 800?
He talks about the Oppo's value being HDMI IN, that is a side-track.
The Oppo's real value was in its 7.1 analog outputs and it's Dual Sabre Pro Dacs which
Amir at ASR measured as the best DAC's he had ever measured at the time. Without this
the HDMI IN holds little value.
In the current world of Atmos, most of these considerations are basically obsolete.
Yes, it looks to have top shelf build quality.

The Oppo's real value was in its 7.1 analog outputs and it's Dual Sabre Pro Dacs which
Amir at ASR measured as the best DAC's he had ever measured at the time. Without this
In the current world of Atmos, most of these considerations are basically obsolete.
Yup. Dead in the water for me without the multichannel analog outputs. 😥

Magnetar UDP-800 unboxing/review

I was mildly excited for this until I got to the bit where it's mentioned that MKV chapters and subtitles still don't work when other media players have got it licked.

Here's some code for Magnetar management to pass on to their devs to correct this:

fixitoryou'renotgettingpaid/

That oughta do the trick. Should be done by lunchtime.

Them Magnetar menus look pretty horrible too. VERY similar to the el cheapo Laser BD players (I have one and it's actually fit for purpose) so I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same crowd producing both boxes with as little additional software development as humanly possible.

That is what I am saying, HDMI is to be used over (meaning above and beyond) USB.

Not at all sure Atmos is going to take off with music listeners in a big way.

There's been (to my knowledge) two attempts now (Reavon, Magnetar) at "trying" (?) to fill the audio chasm left by the erstwhile Oppo 205. Both have clearly failed to match or improve on it, and with the apparent trend towards replacing discs with streaming for surround sound, it will be rather tragic if nobody else is willing to do so. :(

Back