New Magnetar Blu Ray player has analog outs. $2500

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW....a gorgeous player, indeed and at 34 lbs. a beast for sure and it does play SACD and DVD~A and does have Dolby Vision and HDR10+. And with the coveted analogue outputs as well as HDMI a serious contender in the UHD4K/SACD/DVD~A market.

Would LOVE to demo it and the price isn't outrageous compared to a used OPPO 205. And there are dealers in the US, Europe and Canada!

Magnetar UDP900 blu-ray player on blue background

(Image credit: Magnetar)

Last edited:
Magnetar's Official website:

https://magnetar-audio.com

Magnetar UDP900

MAGNETAR UDP900

Magnetar UDP900 – specifications​

Disc Support: UHD Blu-ray, Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD-Video, DVD Audio, AVCHD SACD, CD, Kodak Picture CD, CD-R/RW, DVD±R/RW, DVD±R DL, BD-R/RE HDR formarts HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision File Support: MKV, AVI, MP4, WAV, FLAC, APE, DSD – (USB 3.0) Outputs: Stereo analog audio: XLR balanced (1) and RCA unbalanced output (1) Multi-channel output: RCA unbalanced output (8) Optical/coaxial audio: up to 2 channels /192kHz PCM, Dolby Digital, DTS HDMI 2.0b audio: up to 7.1 channel /192kHz PCM, up to 5.1 channel DSD, Bitstream HDMI 2.0b video: UHD/ 1080p24 / 1080p / 1080I / 720p / 576p / 576I / 480p / 480I Dimensions: Weight: 34.17lbs, 15.5Kg Size: 445x321x133mm (with feet)

Last edited:
They also have a lower model, the UDP 800.
Looking at the software screen shots, they appear to be OPPO clones. But man, those prices !! The 800 ( OPPO UDP-203 equivalent) is double the price of the 203, and the 900 (OPPO UDP-205 equivalent) is double the price of the 205!

If you were uitilizing separate components, the analogue outputs would ensure PURE DSD SACD output into the pre/pro
But that would mean no room correction or EQ or bass management, correct? Most, if not all modern AVRs process analog inputs digitally, so to have a pure path regardless of funneling DSD to the Receiver or funneling analog inputs to the receiver you'd have to use whatever pure direct mode your specific receiver has.

But that would mean no room correction or EQ or bass management, correct? Most, if not all modern AVRs process analog inputs digitally, so to have a pure path regardless of funneling DSD to the Receiver or funneling analog inputs to the receiver you'd have to use whatever pure direct mode your specific receiver has.
Yes that's true. Your absolutely right. I would like to harken back to the golden age of stereo when an audiophiles goal was to reproduce exactly (or close as possible) to what was recorded. Nothing added or taken away. The proverbial straight wire with gain.

This still a good approch to surround sound. If things sound noticeably worse when playing direct mode than their are issues that need to be corrected. Instead of electronic band aids.

What's the real benefit of using a player with analog outputs vs a cheap HDMI-based player with an AVR?
1) Equipment compatibility for those who dwell in the legacy equipment space.

2) When the throwaway AVR craps out, and one is spending weeks researching a replacement, gathering funds, etc, this unit can feed analog outs to separate power amps (or spare analog amps that many of us seem to have lying around.)

I am entertaining the idea of this purchase.
1. Good Price.
2. Currently I have two units, a Blu Ray player and an SACD/DVD player, obvious, get rid of clutter and cables.
3. I wonder how advanced the internal DAC is?
4. I would likely go all HDMI out, however, I am a believer in analog out for SACD. I do not listen to SACD discs, I only rip them. Currently the ripped files go from NAS>PC>USB OUT>EXASOUND DAC>SIX ANALOG CABLES OUT>PRE PRO 7.1 IN.
My set up plays perfectly and MAYBE this would be a good BLU RAY upgrade? I think in my personal situation I like the idea of removing clutter and it doesn't cost 10 grand plus.
My very first SACD player was 8 RCA's out and that is the way I always have thought of the best sound for SACD's is the in my case 6 RCA's out for 5.1 or 4.0 or 2.0/3.0 SACD listening.
I listened to SACD discs long before I learned how to rip.

I am entertaining the idea of this purchase.
1. Good Price.
2. Currently I have two units, a Blu Ray player and an SACD/DVD player, obvious, get rid of clutter and cables.
3. I wonder how advanced the internal DAC is?
4. I would likely go all HDMI out, however, I am a believer in analog out for SACD. I do not listen to SACD discs, I only rip them. Currently the ripped files go from NAS>PC>USB OUT>EXASOUND DAC>SIX ANALOG CABLES OUT>PRE PRO 7.1 IN.
My set up plays perfectly and MAYBE this would be a good BLU RAY upgrade? I think in my personal situation I like the idea of removing clutter and it doesn't cost 10 grand plus.
My very first SACD player was 8 RCA's out and that is the way I always have thought of the best sound for SACD's is the in my case 6 RCA's out for 5.1 or 4.0 or 2.0/3.0 SACD listening.
I listened to SACD discs long before I learned how to rip.
As am I, Markie but I'd like to read some published reviews from some of the audiophile rags before taking the plunge. At 34.17 lbs it's WAAYYY heftier than the OPPOs and I love tank like built components and this looks to be a beauty, cosmetic wise! And the fact that it does come with a multi~region playback option [like my OPPO 205] makes it a natural for all those Region B BD~Vs I own.

Wish they also included a pic of the UHP900's remote control ........it seems to be absent from all published photos.

Back