Queen Rock Montreal + Live Aid 4K Ultra HD Edition on May 10!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm aware Budapest was shot on film. Also for many years the reels left over from cutting Budapest were sat in the offices of the Hungarian production company, and they offered them to Queen several times. But that was during Queen's wilderness years after Freddie's death, and by the time there was anyone at Queen who might have taken an interest the production company were gone and so were the reels. We could have had the full concert on blu ray rather than the 90 minute cut that was originally done for VHS and LaserDisc. Such a missed opportunity. We do have the audio in surround for the full concert.

I am not convinced Montreal was shot on Camera 65 (70mm has room for 6 track magnetic sound, Camera 65 does not but the film area is the same size). Everything I've read says 35mm, and in some shots you can see some of the cameras and they don't look like 65mm to me. But I could be wrong.
You said “unlike any other Queen concert”. Just a gentle touch of pedantry on my part haha!! 😜

OK just googled the film size… shot on 35mm but blown up to 70mm for cinemas. Apologies for the ambiguity on my part. And yes: from reading Queenzone forum for years I knew about the film rushes being chucked. Great shame. But the current master comes from the interpositive (if you didn’t already know that).

Anyhow… back on topic…. Can’t wait to hear the surround mix on this!!

You said “unlike any other Queen concert”. Just a gentle touch of pedantry on my part haha!! 😜
Fair enough, my mistake.
OK just googled the film size… shot on 35mm but blown up to 70mm for cinemas. Apologies for the ambiguity on my part. And yes: from reading Queenzone forum for years I knew about the film rushes being chucked. Great shame. But the current master comes from the interpositive (if you didn’t already know that).
70mm blowups were common for a while, it gave better quality and brightness than a 35mm print and got the best from the 35mm negative.

Amazon delivered my copy today.
Not had a chance to listen and watch it yet.
Busy time of year trying to get my allotment up to speed.
We've had temps of 23⁰ degrees here which will last to Sunday.
I might get a chance on Sunday although I'm being Grandad for the two boys.

Blurb says Atmos mix by Oli Morgan at Abbey Road Studios

Amazon delivered my copy today.
Not had a chance to listen and watch it yet.
Busy time of year trying to get my allotment up to speed.
We've had temps of 23⁰ degrees here which will last to Sunday.
I might get a chance on Sunday although I'm being Grandad for the two boys.

Blurb says Atmos mix by Oli Morgan at Abbey Road Studios
That’s 73 Fahrenheit for us Americans.

Haven’t got mine but was curious for impressions and looked on blu-ray.com… sounds like some people are having issues with Disc 1 not loading to any menus, multiple players affected. Last post on this page is the start of reports. There’s a nice review of the content on page 5 as well:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=372124&page=4

Haven’t got mine but was curious for impressions and looked on blu-ray.com… sounds like some people are having issues with Disc 1 not loading to any menus, multiple players affected. Last post on this page is the start of reports. There’s a nice review of the content on page 5 as well:
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=372124&page=4
There are widespread reports of faulty discs on the 4K UHD, both on Blu-Ray.com and at the Hoffman forum, not looking good at all.

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/queen-rock-montreal-vinyl-bluray-to-be-released.1197451/

I have mine. Packaging is crap, just folded card. The 2007 original blu ray release (which I have) in a standard blu ray plastic case is much nicer packaged. Booklet is almost identical to 2007, just a handful of tweaks to the photos and the updated credits for the new release. The main problems with the 2007 release are it's only widescreen and the audio is DTS HR ie lossy. At least this new release gives the option of widescreen or as originally shot for 4:3 viewing, and lossless audio.

I took delivery of Queen at Montreal and Live Aid yesterday, and although it looks stunning, the audio is another matter.
Basically there is no bass guitar at all that I could hear on either the atmos mix or the DTS and consequently it all sounds rather tinny.

The pitiful packaging was the first thing I noticed when my copy arrived yesterday. C'mon QP! Aside from that and having been a rabid Queen fan for 50 years who has purchased every release of Montreal, I am mightily impressed by this release. I played Disc 1 all the way through in Dolby Atmos on my Sony BD player with no issues. I was working at my desk down the hall for some of it but I did watch a few numbers 'in the room'. The Atmos mix sounds just about right to me; nothing too overblown with that live arena ambience and the picture quality is stunning. I was worried about the AI glitches that folks pointed out after the screenings but I've yet to see any myself (although as I said, I've not yet sat in front of the screen for the whole show).

The pitiful packaging was the first thing I noticed when my copy arrived yesterday. C'mon QP! Aside from that and having been a rabid Queen fan for 50 years who has purchased every release of Montreal, I am mightily impressed by this release. I played Disc 1 all the way through in Dolby Atmos on my Sony BD player with no issues. I was working at my desk down the hall for some of it but I did watch a few numbers 'in the room'. The Atmos mix sounds just about right to me; nothing too overblown with that live arena ambience and the picture quality is stunning. I was worried about the AI glitches that folks pointed out after the screenings but I've yet to see any myself (although as I said, I've not yet sat in front of the screen for the whole show).
Do you have the 4K version or the Blu-Ray? Do both of your discs play OK?

And what about Disc 2? Did you able to play it on your Sony BD player? Some people reports they stuck at logo loop with no menu buttons...

I can confirm that both discs played on my Sony BD player.

Although I had a slight panic when disc 2 showed as unknown. So I took it out, gave it a magic wipe, reinstalled it and bingo, it worked

Hope this helps everyone.
Do you have the 4K or Blu-Ray edition?

Do you have the 4K or Blu-Ray edition?
I have the 4K edition.
1000010087.jpg

Me too. (Sony UBP-X800 player) 4k Edition and both discs just cycle through the intro screen; neither play nor allow any interaction due to the absence of menu items to click on. And yes: The packaging is shameful indeed. The lower slot was not die-cut properly and the disk was loose and sliding around inside the card. Anyone know anything about replacements yet?

Back