2024 SURROUND RELEASES

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marillion's manager Lucy Jordache has confirmed that a deluxe-edition with 5.1 mix of their "This Strange Engine" album is set for August this year. I thought I had already seen that one in the list but it seems to have disappeared again.
The next one will be the Marillion.com-album but that one will quite likely be 2025.

And will the new Doobie Brothers recording with Michael McDonald be recorded/mixed with ATMOS in mind?

THE DOOBIE BROTHERS AND MICHAEL MCDONALD ARE REUNITING TO RECORD THEIR FIRST STUDIO ALBUM IN 44 YEARS

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/doobie-brothers-michael-mcdonald-reunite-new-album/

Doobie Brothers Postpone 2020 Tour With Michael McDonald

Marillion's manager Lucy Jordache has confirmed that a deluxe-edition with 5.1 mix of their "This Strange Engine" album is set for August this year. I thought I had already seen that one in the list but it seems to have disappeared again.
The next one will be the Marillion.com-album but that one will quite likely be 2025.
Not a bad album, although pretty much all of the songs are completely overshadowed by the title track. Similar case with marillion.com and Interior Lulu. Unfortunate that they have not moved on to Atmos mixes, although Marillion's overall approach to immersive audio has been half-hearted at best. Like they feel they have to be doing it, without really wanting to.

Not a bad album, although pretty much all of the songs are completely overshadowed by the title track. Similar case with marillion.com and Interior Lulu. Unfortunate that they have not moved on to Atmos mixes, although Marillion's overall approach to immersive audio has been half-hearted at best. Like they feel they have to be doing it, without really wanting to.
Agreed on all points. The so-called Castle Years (TSE, Radiation and .com) have never stood out. And somehow even the mighty Steve Wilson has not been able to really hit a home run with the 5.1 mixes they commissioned to him (Misplaced Childhood and Brave). By their own admission, no one in the band cares for immersive audio. I think they are missing a trick. Putting up a selection of songs in Atmos on Apple Music might very well generate them new fans that subsequently will buy their releases. Same if they were to team up with the SDE store. Paul Sinclair does seem to like their output.

That said, spending time and resources to make Atmos mixes of the Castle years albums (with a relatively large amount of duds on them) does seem like a waste when there are albums like Marbles who would be much more suitable for a proper Atmos treatment. And the album will have it's 20th birthday this year. Seems like a missed opportunity...

Last edited:
I thought those were both pretty great?
These were fine. I think there just really wasn't much to be done with Misplaced Childhood; the stereo mix was already very good and it is a very sparse mix without many elements for surround. Brave felt like a good mix when it came out, but I find that I am not as keen on it today. It didn't fix some of the mastering and mixing issues of the original mix, namely that it is too quiet and a bit thin-sounding, and the bass is a bit muddy.

Agreed on all points. The so-called Castle Years (TSE, Radiation and .com) have never stood out. And somehow even the mighty Steve Wilson has not been able to really hit a home run with the 5.1 mixes they commissioned to him (Misplaced Childhood and Brave). By their own admission, no one in the band cares for immersive audio. I think they are missing a trick. Putting up a selection of songs in Atmos on Apple Music might very well generate them new fans that subsequently will buy their releases. Same if they were to team up with the SDE store. Paul Sinclair does seem to like their output.

That said, spending time and resources to make Atmos mixes of the Castle years albums (with a relatively large amount of duds on them) does seem like a waste when there are albums like Marbles who would be much more suitable for a proper Atmos treatment. And the album will have it's 20th birthday this year. Seems like a missed opportunity...
True... that being said, I would buy them just to hear This Strange Engine and Interior Lulu. Radiation has already been done, and it's one of their worst albums. I agree that Marbles would be a great one to tackle, but again I don't see that even if they did it would be really amazing. Michael Hunter is fine with his mixes but he is not very ambitious. Anoraknophobia is another one I could pass on. Somewhere Else is actually one that has grown on me over the years. I would pass on Happiness is the Road as well; too many stinkers on an overly stuffed double album.

What has happened here on QQ in the past 10 days in terms of new titles?

First of all a new batch from Dutton Epoch has landed, 6 SACDs of classical music are up for grabs.

Then Pet Shop Boys's first ever surround album was announced, mixed by Jan "Stan" Kybert in Atmos and due out on BD-A in April.

Hong Kong-born jazz singer Susan Wong, who remains faithful to the SACD format, will also come out with a new album Kamereon right after that.

However, the news of a 50th anniversary boxset of Robin Trower's Bridge of Sighs, mixed for the first time in both 5.1 and Atmos, has generated the biggest response in the QQ ranks.

Finally, there's only one new track on offer for download at the IAA (by Santpoort) this time around, but you can also indulge in a great new interview with Steven Wilson, who gives you the lowdown on potential new remixes from the likes of XTC, Gentle Giant, Grateful Dead or (possibly) Suede.

Also, thanks to @JoshBasswood for the heads up on Marillion and This Strange Engine album - along with other added information, you can find it all in the "Rumblings & Brewings" list.

Last edited:
This week saw these additions:

Pink Floyd’s Animals come back again, but this time mixed in Atmos.

Marillion are going to serve their last album in a concert version and Queen have restored the footage from Rock Montreal & Live Aid plus mixed the audio in 5.1 & Atmos.

A remarkably strong delivery via IAA this time - in addition to the two classical Atmos releases from Nilento Records, there’s also Fourplay’s Between the Sheets re-issue, now available also in Dolby Atmos & Auro-3D, and so is Spoon’s Lucifer On The Sofa (Atmos and U.S. only). Notably, the latter is the first in a series of downloads from Beggars Group.

Marillion are going to serve their last album in a concert version
The release that was announced this week is a retail version of the Blu Ray they released D2C last year (Part One of the Marillion 2023 weekend movie), so not really a new release. Still excellent though!
The 2nd part of the movie will be released later this year (no further specifics available yet). This will likely be through their own webshop first and followed by a retail release at a later stage.

Does anyone know which if any of the titles mentioned are being distributed by Alliance Entertainment?
I have (presumably) a disc coming Tuesday from them, but have looked at all my invoices and seen no mention of Alliance.

Does anyone know which if any of the titles mentioned are being distributed by Alliance Entertainment?
I have (presumably) a disc coming Tuesday from them, but have looked at all my invoices and seen no mention of Alliance.
I've often seen that name on shipping notifications, but I've deleted all my older emails, and honestly don't remember who that is. Something tells me it could be importCD or similar.

Back