Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For Apple Music, you can use this third-party search tool to query your favorite artists.
https://bendodson.com/projects/spatial-audio-finder/
Tidal has fewer exclusive tracks/albums than Apple Music, plus many of the Sony/Columbia artists have their spatial audio catalog in the 360 Reality Audio format vs Dolby Atmos.
oh yeah! 😅 there's that! 🤩 another thing i totally forgot about! 🤦‍♀️

funnily enough, my Brother's been using it to find Atmos tracks on Apple Music and has found it useful, even though he says he can't find that much music mixed in Atmos he actually likes! 🤷🏻‍♀️😫

Thank you for the help! The Spatial Audio Finder seems to work like a charm.
As a prog fan it is an embarrassment of riches what is already available in physical media. Most of what survived as multitracks or quadraphonic mixes has already been released. The upcoming Camel box is a dream come true for me, as it was the latest Zappa and VdGG releases.
My concern is a possible shift to streaming.
Suppose that the already mixed Interview and The missing piece by Gentle Giant will never come out as bluray?
Supposedly Leftoverture was mixed for a 5.1 SACD release like 20 years ago. I know through Kansas fans that the multitracks for the classic period (think up to Point of know return) has survived and didn't perish in the Universal fire. Partial proof is the release of some multitracks for the RockBand game.
If those and others are released instead as streaming, then I would have no choice than subscribing.
you're welcome! 🙂 sorry for forgetting about the Music Helper App and for also forgetting that last Kansas album came out in 5.1 on Blu-ray! 🤦‍♀️ to be honest, it's not normally a good sign when i completely forget about something i've bought and listened to in Surround! 'nuff said! 🤐🤣

re: Leftoverture, even though it was slated for MultiCh SACD pre-order and appeared in a Sony catalogue circa 2002/2003 as coming soon on the SACD format, i have a recollection Jeff Glixman said at one time that if there was a 5.1 mix then he was neither involved nor consulted so while it's possible there's a mix created by someone else gathering dust (in the wind! 😅🤣 ) it's somewhat unlikely, especially as Jeff mixed various albums in 5.1 around that time for other artists.

on the subject of the multitracks, i would imagine they were most likely held by Sony for the longest time, in which case i feel fairly confident they will have been well looked after since their archives are said to be well curated, unlike UMG.. anyway let's hope so, it's a masterpiece of a record that more than deserves the Atmos treatment! 🤞

Haven’t gotten around to watching it yet, but there’s a new Muppet show on Disney+, focused on Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem as they finally record their first album.

The soundtrack doubles as their album, and it’s in Atmos
bizarre but at least we get some wonderful songs in Atmos, such as Bridge Over Troubled Water, True Colors & Have A Little Faith In Me.. albeit cover versions by The Muppets rather than the originals! 🤦‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤣😅🥳

Mike Mettler seems to have given up on reviewing outstanding streaming tracks in his "Spatial Audio File" column at Sound and Vision--which makes me all the more grateful for @sjcorne picking up the slack at IAA. Last week, he dropped his third annual (so far--maybe he could be convinced to go monthly or bi-monthly?) set of picks for Best Immersive Singles. I've made a personal playlist out of his choices, and while I'll probably only return to half the 25 he's singled out so far, I've still enjoyed listening to all of them while reading his short descriptions of what's notable about them.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/apple-musics-spatial-audio-singles-5-winners-4-duds/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/the-top-10-immersive-singles-on-apple-music-round-2/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/the-top-10-immersive-singles-on-apple-music-round-3/

Mike Mettler seems to have given up on reviewing outstanding streaming tracks in his "Spatial Audio File" column at Sound and Vision--which makes me all the more grateful for @sjcorne picking up the slack at IAA. Last week, he dropped his third annual (so far--maybe he could be convinced to go monthly or bi-monthly?) set of picks for Best Immersive Singles. I've made a personal playlist out of his choices, and while I'll probably only return to half the 25 he's singled out so far, I've still enjoyed listening to all of them while reading his short descriptions of what's notable about them.
https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/apple-musics-spatial-audio-singles-5-winners-4-duds/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/the-top-10-immersive-singles-on-apple-music-round-2/https://immersiveaudioalbum.com/the-top-10-immersive-singles-on-apple-music-round-3/
Linkin' Park in the dud list? I love that atmos mix so much, and I find it a great improvement over the original stereo mix. I bet it sounds wonderful in a lossless format. Who wrote this list?

Linkin' Park in the dud list? I love that atmos mix so much, and I find it a great improvement over the original stereo mix. I bet it sounds wonderful in a lossless format. Who wrote this list?
I'd love to re-evaluate (I was only running a 5.1.2 system at the time the article was written and now I've got 7.1.4), but it seems the Atmos mix has been pulled from Apple Music. In any case, most of my childhood listening to Hybrid Theory was done with an iPod classic and a pair of first-generation wired Apple earbuds. I remember that bridge section (when he sings "I've put my trust...") in "In The End" used to slam when the guitars came in and it sounded weak to me in the Atmos mix, even if it that is technically a 'better' presentation in terms of dynamics and overall clarity.

Is there any way to get a list of ATMOS releases in Apple, Tidal or Amazon? I cannot find any. It seems it is a matter of jumping in and seeing what is available. Tidal offers a generous trial before subscribing, but before trying it I'd like to know if there is anything for me. I am interested in seeing if there is anything that I don't have in physical media that I am missing, primarily interested in prog. Kansas for instance would be a good reason for me to explore
Wrong band, ignore me, having a blonde moment, sorry

I'd love to re-evaluate (I was only running a 5.1.2 system at the time the article was written and now I've got 7.1.4), but it seems the Atmos mix has been pulled from Apple Music. In any case, most of my childhood listening to Hybrid Theory was done with an iPod classic and a pair of first-generation wired Apple earbuds. I remember that bridge section (when he sings "I've put my trust...") in "In The End" used to slam when the guitars came in and it sounded weak to me in the Atmos mix, even if it that is technically a 'better' presentation in terms of dynamics and overall clarity.
Was it you? o_O I didn't know.

I'm also listening on a 5.1.2 system. It's funny that I think the mix is great precisely for the reasons you wrote it wasn't :LOL:. The original stereo mix is quite compressed in comparison, and I truly enjoyed being able to hear the drums and guitars breathing a bit more. The entire surround field is used, with many discrete elements in the height speakers, which is unusual. I don't disagree on the lack of punch, but I am wondering how much the lossy encoder has to do with that, or maybe the difficulty of using compressors when mixing in atmos? Don't know.

Last edited:
For anyone feeling hungover by a front- heavy , bland Atmos album I prescribe 20 mins of this full blown effects laden, saccharine-sweet medicine:

Dr Woody 💉💊🩺
The mix is good with lots in the heights, but nothing in SB, so basically a 5.1.4 mix. The music was not my style though, so I went for this weeks Favourite mix from Apple Music to find something for my taste. ;)

Was listening to the Dolby Audio Apple Music stream of the unreleased Surrealistic Pillow quad mixes, and was reminded that the other day I got recommended this fantastic cover of White Rabbit on youtube.

Looked to see if it was on Apple Music and not only is it, it’s in Atmos!

only one track available but its in atmos as well!

I couldn’t get away fast enough from Poison Arrow when it was on MTV all the time. But just listened to that song and the mix is very enjoyable. Got this bookmarked to listen to all the way through later.
Not available on Amazon HD in the States at least. One of my favorite records from the 80s.

Back