Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, finding a BBQ sauce without high fructose corn syrup has been a real challenge for me. I'd rather have a little bit of real sugar (like cane sugar) than that wretched high fructose corn syrup. Lately I've been seeing hamburger and hot dog buns where the packaging clearly states the absence of that junk. Why on earth would that even be showing up in bread products? (BTW, that's a rhetorical question.)
Indeed sugar is every where even in stuff you dont think much about. Ketchup & peanut butter. And I used to be "proud" of drinking regular sweetened soft drinks instead of those nasty tasting artificially sweetened ones. Now I pretty much don't drink either.

Several years ago a friend that worked at Subway deli was complaining they had to re-do a lot of signage & other dietary info because of changes to the bread. They were adding sugar & calories. I didn't think that much about it than a year or so ago I read a news article about Subway losing a court battle in France. The issue was tax rates on the Subway products. Seems regular bread vs pastry is taxed differently, the latter being more expensive. Seems there was so much sugar in Subway buns & breads it was ruled as pastry. Huh.

I can HiGhly recommend Bone Suckin’ BBQ Sauce. No Hi Fructose. Honey & molasses are the sweeteners 🙂 It’s the only canned sauce I’ll buy. Super great! I prefer the regular one, they also have a ‘thicker’ style.

Attachments

• 9EC97A47-30FC-4651-BFA1-A60FE5FC9D2D.png
    9EC97A47-30FC-4651-BFA1-A60FE5FC9D2D.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
  • BB69486C-B916-49C2-A2E1-6F2AF56F1B1B.png
    BB69486C-B916-49C2-A2E1-6F2AF56F1B1B.png
    4.9 MB · Views: 0
Indeed sugar is every where even in stuff you dont think much about. Ketchup & peanut butter. And I used to be "proud" of drinking regular sweetened soft drinks instead of those nasty tasting artificially sweetened ones. Now I pretty much don't drink either.

Several years ago a friend that worked at Subway deli was complaining they had to re-do a lot of signage & other dietary info because of changes to the bread. They were adding sugar & calories. I didn't think that much about it than a year or so ago I read a news article about Subway losing a court battle in France. The issue was tax rates on the Subway products. Seems regular bread vs pastry is taxed differently, the latter being more expensive. Seems there was so much sugar in Subway buns & breads it was ruled as pastry. Huh.
Smucker‘s Natural PB. It consists of just peanuts and sea salt. After using it for a short period of time, the stuff like Skippy and Jiff tastes artificial and too sweet. (But I haven’t tried using it on the grill. Perhaps the crunchy version… :giggle:)

Smucker‘s Natural PB. It consists of just peanuts and sea salt. After using it for a short period of time, the stuff like Skippy and Jiff tastes artificial and too sweet. (But I haven’t tried using it on the grill. Perhaps the crunchy version… :giggle:)
Like Kroger's Simple Truth Organic peanut butter, just peanuts and a bit of salt. Once you get it stirred up, keeping it in the fridge it won't separate out.

I'm usually very savvy about cooking stuff.....

So, I have a very simple 3 pound pork loin roast. Looked online, how to slow cook in a crock. It says, 6-8 hours, on low. Let it hit a temperature of 145 and take it off. Mine has been on low for less than 2 hours, and internal temp is 166! WTF?? Yet, when I put the temp probe in, I can tell the meat is super tough. No chance I'm taking it out.....

I'm usually very savvy about cooking stuff.....

So, I have a very simple 3 pound pork loin roast. Looked online, how to slow cook in a crock. It says, 6-8 hours, on low. Let it hit a temperature of 145 and take it off. Mine has been on low for less than 2 hours, and internal temp is 166! WTF?? Yet, when I put the temp probe in, I can tell the meat is super tough. No chance I'm taking it out.....
That doesn’t sound right to me either with a big chunk like that, believe it takes much longer to -break down (go ahead and give it to me!)

I’ve been thinking about this thread lately, need to get it going again :love:

take me through the night, it’s alright

Last edited:
Just walked down to the mailbox and some crazy neighbor is BBQing, the smells just 'bout drove me insane... bastards.
I wasn't invited - ugh!

Yes, I'm needing a good hit of that smokey luscious BBQ
1676244374243.png

- no time today, it's game time now

I did receive Alan Williams Currents BD from the Burning Shed, thing is, I thought I already had that one :rolleyes::oops:

Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Aside from the obvious & more solemn aspects of the holiday it's time for beer & grilling. Brilling!

I plan on keeping it simple just some KC strip steaks. It's decent cut of meat & I know a meat meat market (haven't been there in 10 years...) that stocked prime quality. I'd like to give that a try.

Because of @GOS suggesting a great smoker attachment for the common Weber grill I have only been smoking or cooking over indirect heat for the last couple of years. Time to refresh my experience & cook this weekend over hot coals.

Looking forward to what others plan on doing or results afterwards. There's always some good inspiration to try in this thread.

Memorial Day weekend is almost here. Aside from the obvious & more solemn aspects of the holiday it's time for beer & grilling. Brilling!

I plan on keeping it simple just some KC strip steaks. It's decent cut of meat & I know a meat meat market (haven't been there in 10 years...) that stocked prime quality. I'd like to give that a try.

Because of @GOS suggesting a great smoker attachment for the common Weber grill I have only been smoking or cooking over indirect heat for the last couple of years. Time to refresh my experience & cook this weekend over hot coals.

Looking forward to what others plan on doing or results afterwards. There's always some good inspiration to try in this thread.
I’ve been eyeing my fav Ribeyes lately; but man the prices are insane 🥩

Let me put this in a way you’ll understand; a nice big luscious Ribeye will be as much as two DVs!!!
Replying to your own posts again, eh?
IIRC strip steak & Ribeye come from the same part of the cow but the latter has better marbling so of course it will be more $$$. Many of our grilling desicions are driven by "what's on sale."

I like you comparing the meat cost to DV releases. Remember the days when we would consider a purchase and said something like: I dunno. $20 will buy a lot of cheeseburgers.

Not gonna lie...last night I went to local grocery to look at steaks.....poor selection, and way too expensive. Then it hit me! I want some all beef hotdogs......they were even on sale! I got a pack of 8 for $5.99, grabbed some buns and fired up the Weber charcoal. Damn, those dogs were simply killer All beef are just so superior to the shit ones that have who knows what in them.....

Not gonna lie...last night I went to local grocery to look at steaks.....poor selection, and way too expensive. Then it hit me! I want some all beef hotdogs......they were even on sale! I got a pack of 8 for $5.99, grabbed some buns and fired up the Weber charcoal. Damn, those dogs were simply killer All beef are just so superior to the shit ones that have who knows what in them.....

I must agree. Sometimes nothing hits the spot like the humble hot dog! Problem is, as you mentioned, comes in packs of 8 & unless g'kids come over I'm the only one that eats 'em. I guess I could freeze some otherwise it's up to me to consume all of them.

Recently I discovered the perfect solution:

https://www.facebook.com/mortyskc/
Morty makes super delicious dogs, Italian beef sandwiches, & home made lemonade. The choice of condiments is often controversial but on a big dog or Polish sausage, I like them loaded.

Morty's food ruck is parked by Price Chopper grocery store about 3 mins from my house. A no brainer to shop for groceries & pick up lunch on the way out.

Got a favorite brand of 🌭 ?

Costco had a brand called A&H which we liked a lot. Yesterday they either didn't have them or are not carrying them anymore.
We also like Hebrew National (we answer to a higher authority :ROFLMAO: ) or Nathan's. We also like veal sausage and brats.

There is a local big grocery chain here in St. Louis that used to have an excellent butcher dept. But for the last several years I buy all our beef at Costco. The sometimes have flats of "cap steaks" which are the best part of the ribeye (the fat cap) And they sell the eye separately too.
So everyone gets what they prefer. My younger son and I get fatty greasy delicious caps and the older son and the Mrs. get a regular rib eye not quite so greasy. Grilled to perfection by yours truly on a grill I bought about fifty years ago. I am about to buy a Weber Kettle to replace it.
Open to suggestions.

https://abeles-heymann.com/products/a-h-all-beef-kosher-hot-dogscostco sku 1288051

https://www.seriouseats.com/meet-the-ribeye-cap-the-tastiest-cut-on-the-cow
https://www.hebrewnational.com/Hebrew National now part of "ConAgra brands" :rolleyes: :oops:

https://nathansfamous.com/https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan's_Famous
https://www.facebook.com/Woofieshotdogs/https://www.viennabeef.com/woofieshttps://www.viennabeef.com/

Last edited:
Costco had a brand called A&H which we liked a lot. Yesterday they either didn't have them or are not carrying them anymore.
We also like Hebrew National (we answer to a higher authority :ROFLMAO: ) or Nathan's. We also like veal sausage and brats.

There is a local big grocery chain here in St. Louis that used to have an excellent butcher dept. But for the last several years I buy all our beef at Costco. The sometimes have flats of "cap steaks" which are the best part of the ribeye (the fat cap) And they sell the eye separately too.
So everyone gets what they prefer. My younger son and eye get fatty greasy delicious caps and the older son and the Mrs. get a regular rib eye not quite so greasy. Grilled to perfection by yours truly on a grill I bought about fifty years ago. I am about to buy a Weber Kettle to replace it.
Open to suggestions.

https://abeles-heymann.com/products/a-h-all-beef-kosher-hot-dogscostco sku 1288051
I usually get the Hebrew National QUARTER POUND BEEF FRANKS; I feel they have a great flavor; plus, did I say they were Quarter Pound :smokin

Back