Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Japanese beer made in Canada?
Canada
Sleeman Breweries was purchased by Sapporo Brewery in 2006 for $400 million.[14] Sleeman was restarted in 1988 in Guelph, Ontario, Canada by the great grandson of John H. Sleeman, the owner of the original Sleeman brewery founded in 1834.[15] The first Sleeman brewery ceased operations by 1933, when their liquor license was revoked for bootlegging, specifically, smuggling beer into Detroit, Michigan. The company's current products are based on the family's original recipes, and recipes from Unibroue (which brewery Sleeman had previously purchased). Sleeman Breweries / Sapporo Canada currently consists of four Canadian breweries: Sleeman in Guelph, Ontario, Okanagan Spring in Vernon, British Columbia, Unibroue in Chambly, Quebec, and Wild Rose Brewery in Calgary, Alberta. As of 2017, Sleeman Breweries also owned 4.2% of The Beer Store.[16]

Canada
Sleeman Breweries was purchased by Sapporo Brewery in 2006 for $400 million.[14] Sleeman was restarted in 1988 in Guelph, Ontario, Canada by the great grandson of John H. Sleeman, the owner of the original Sleeman brewery founded in 1834.[15] The first Sleeman brewery ceased operations by 1933, when their liquor license was revoked for bootlegging, specifically, smuggling beer into Detroit, Michigan. The company's current products are based on the family's original recipes, and recipes from Unibroue (which brewery Sleeman had previously purchased). Sleeman Breweries / Sapporo Canada currently consists of four Canadian breweries: Sleeman in Guelph, Ontario, Okanagan Spring in Vernon, British Columbia, Unibroue in Chambly, Quebec, and Wild Rose Brewery in Calgary, Alberta. As of 2017, Sleeman Breweries also owned 4.2% of The Beer Store.[16]

Good details, Gene!
I know that Sapporo USA is in La Crosse WI, but that may just be distribution offices? Every bottle I've seen says Canada on the label.

And to @thebarnman, if you pick up a 6 pack of Asahi Super Dry that comes courtesy of Molson Coors in Vancouver. Kirin Ichiban (coolest Japanese beer bottle label I say) is made in California.

Killian's, Becks, Foster, Red Stripe & more you might think are imports but all are made in the USA. Now Heineken has no USA breweries but is sourced from Mexico & parts of Europe but not its home country the Netherlands.

I guess this is sorta like Smirnoff is the best Russian vodka you can buy that's made in Wisconson. .

You guys, I still don't get it. Are you saying there's a brewery in Japan that's the same company?
Well, yes. Say you happen to be the Sapporo brewing company in Hokkaido Japan & you want to cut down over seas transportation costs. Then you consider setting up a brewery in Canada, USA, wherever. Or you pay an established brewery to make the beer to your specifications.

Well, yes. Say you happen to be the Sapporo brewing company in Hokkaido Japan & you want to cut down over seas transportation costs. Then you consider setting up a brewery in Canada, USA, wherever. Or you pay an established brewery to make the beer to your specifications.

Well OK, now it makes sense. I didn't know Sapporo is a Japanese company. I don't drink and so I'm not familiar with those names or how bottlers operate.

I visit a place called Pop the Soda Shop in Phoenix and pick up soda in glass bottles all made with cane sugar. Tastes a lot better than the stuff we've been drinking for years when compared to them using corn syrup as a sweetener with their plastic bottles.

http://www.popsoda.com/soda.html
http://www.popsoda.com/

I have been very tempted by these pellet grills.

I scored an extremely lucky deal on a Pit Boss combo pellet/gas unit. My first time stepping into the pellet smoker world.

Smoked brisket on Saturday & ribs on Sunday.

The grilling surfaces aren’t huge but it will get the job done for most sized parties.

The smoker held steady all day (very impressive) but was about 25 degrees cooler than the set temperature. I guess the temperature probe is likely too close to the firebox and not above the broiler plate in the cooking area.

Cost me an hour’s cook time both days but I can adjust in the future.

Attachments

• IMG_0133.jpeg
    IMG_0133.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Well OK, now it makes sense. I didn't know Sapporo is a Japanese company. I don't drink and so I'm not familiar with those names or how bottlers operate.

I visit a place called Pop the Soda Shop in Phoenix and pick up soda in glass bottles all made with cane sugar. Tastes a lot better than the stuff we've been drinking for years when compared to them using corn syrup as a sweetener with their plastic bottles.

That soda shop looks very cool. I got thirsty just looking at the pics.

Phoenix, eh? My grandparents retired there & it was a family vacay every other year. Other than seeing my family best part was a required pilgrimage to the long gone Tower Records. Oh & since we've mentioned Japan, did you know Tower Records is alive & well in Japan?

I scored an extremely lucky deal on a Pit Boss combo pellet/gas unit. My first time stepping into the pellet smoker world.

The grilling surfaces aren’t huge but it will get the job done for most sized parties.

The smoker held steady all day (very impressive) but was about 25 degrees cooler than the set temperature. I guess the temperature probe is likely too close to the firebox and not above the broiler plate in the cooking area.

Congrats that's a great looking set up. You must have some pretty good experience to attempt a brisket on first try.

And the back yard looks like a really nice place to hang out, from what I can see.

What a great store!

Your backyard looks almost exactly like my backyard except I haven't built a shed yet. I have similar trees and a similar fence. Nice looking grill outfit.

That soda shop looks very cool. I got thirsty just looking at the pics.

Phoenix, eh? My grandparents retired there & it was a family vacay every other year. Other than seeing my family best part was a required pilgrimage to the long gone Tower Records. Oh & since we've mentioned Japan, did you know Tower Records is alive & well in Japan?
Yes, actually I do know that as I have the documentary "All Things Must Pass" (2015) on Blu-ray which is the story about Tower Records. I also like going to the Glendale Nine Drive-in (has nine screens) for movies every week. I'll buy the soda from Pop the Soda shop and put that into my cooler and drink them while watching the movies from my car. I live in North Scottsdale so it's a drive to get to from the East side of town to the West side, but I love doing that and I feel quite fortunate that I'm within fairly easy driving distance to the only Drive-in in the state of Arizona.

I remember going to a Tower Records at around 40th St and Thomas Road (or so) probably I think in the very early 90s.

Went on a big grocery store run today; and saw some really nicely marbled Choice cut Ribeye's, they were $23 a lb. and two smallish sized steaks were $34 :rolleyes:

so I went for some Chicken Party Wings; guess I just wasn't feeling those prices... ridiculous 🐔 balk, balk, balk

Same here Jeff, I'm thoroughly discouraged by the price of beef these days. Tonight, I'm fixing some pretty hefty chicken legs, and they were like 6 legs (fat ones!) for around $6 total. Browned them in the Ninja Crock Pot, then simmered them with some thick soy sauce. Fresh asparagus is the vegetable. Big fat spears. :)

Went on a big grocery store run today; and saw some really nicely marbled Choice cut Ribeye's, they were $23 a lb. and two smallish sized steaks were $34 :rolleyes:

so I went for some Chicken Party Wings; guess I just wasn't feeling those prices... ridiculous 🐔 balk, balk, balk
I guess I'm 180 deg out of phase with you & Gene. I splurged on those 2 USDA Prime strip steaks for about $70. I was flying solo so my wife was not there to disagree. . And I fell in love with the marbling.

First time I cooked a steak by int temp. It was looking a lot more done than what the thermometer suggested. If I had trusted it it would have been too overdone. So I pulled it off. I guess I'd call mine med well & I prefer rare medium. My wife likes her meat looking like it burned to death in a car crash. So, that was easy.

Has anybody here grilled steak over open coals by temp? I'd be glad for some tips.

Edit: Outside of Ruth's Chris this was one of the most flavorful & tasty steaks I've ever had. Only downside is it's never as tender as I expect. I want steak I can cut with a fork. The noble quest continues.

Last edited:
Back