Grilling, Barbeque/Asado Thread - QQ Style :)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anybody here grilled steak over open coals by temp? I'd be glad for some tips.

No thermometer here: but I've gotten pretty good just eyeballing it, based on the cut of meat & how thick it is. And how it's cooking. If it's too rare ( rarely! ) I just throw it back on for a bit.

I sear both sides good, then move it away from the hot coals & put a lid on for a while.

Dave Delski used to run the meat counter for Wierda Market. Dave was a meat guru and this little corner store would get the most incredible cuts.
Those 5.99 per pound Ribeyes were the most incredible steaks. Best ever

A little mom and pop store with a full meat counter. God I miss the 80s and the Nineties

Dave went on to local fame by opening his own meat store.
Since sold

Just Ricky reminiscing.............

I've got something like this Lodge, don't remember the make, but it can be helpful to keep some stuff from flare ups, etc.

Besides, you guys are makin' me HANGRY!!!!

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Gr...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1
Whoa! Thanks for this tip! Scored one; it arrived today and our 22-year old grill has new life!
Screenshot 2023-05-30 at 7.22.39 PM.png
1/2 pound burgers with jalapeño peppers and cheddar cheese! I served them up on fresh onion rolls that i toasted on the same grill! Ima be grilling all week long!

Last edited:
Has anybody here grilled steak over open coals by temp? I'd be glad for some tips.

You probably have already thought of these but ….

Do you create two zones on the grill?
A hot zone above the coals and a cool zone without coals underneath?
Sear both sides first over the hot zone for a couple minutes each side and then move it over to the cool side for another 10 or until the temperature hits your target.

And let it sit loosely covered in foil for 5 minutes after taking it off the grill which allows the juices to redistribute back out to the edges of the steak.

You could also try to foil the cut of beef after the sear like some cooks do for smoking brisket or ribs.

Went on a big grocery store run today; and saw some really nicely marbled Choice cut Ribeye's, they were $23 a lb. and two smallish sized steaks were $34 :rolleyes:

so I went for some Chicken Party Wings; guess I just wasn't feeling those prices... ridiculous 🐔 balk, balk, balk
Surprisingly (to me, anyway), Trader Joe’s has pretty good beef cuts at comparitively good prices.

Congrats that's a great looking set up. You must have some pretty good experience to attempt a brisket on first try.

And the back yard looks like a really nice place to hang out, from what I can see.

Thanks! It was a small cut of brisket and I boldly thought I knew what I was doing :p. It turned out just OK, but I learned some good lessons.

Your backyard looks almost exactly like my backyard except I haven't built a shed yet. I have similar trees and a similar fence. Nice looking grill outfit.

Extremely fortunate to have a nice backyard space. Especially love my fire pit. Upgrading this summer with a roof extension to give us a bit of shade from the hot, summer Georgia sun.

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), Trader Joe’s has pretty good beef cuts at comparitively good prices.
I’m due to make a trip to TJ soon, so I’ll check it out; maybe next Sunday. I hear in TJ, that it's cheap but it's not free.

I recall about 4-5 years ago I was finding $12.99 a lb Filet Mignon at Costco; now that was a hell of a deal. Aren’t those Hot Dog prices now?

You probably have already thought of these but ….

Do you create two zones on the grill?
A hot zone above the coals and a cool zone without coals underneath?
Sear both sides first over the hot zone for a couple minutes each side and then move it over to the cool side for another 10 or until the temperature hits your target.

And let it sit loosely covered in foil for 5 minutes after taking it off the grill which allows the juices to redistribute back out to the edges of the steak.

You could also try to foil the cut of beef after the sear like some cooks do for smoking brisket or ribs.
Nope, don't use 2 zone heating. Usually we try to get as much food as we can on a 22" circle. This time chicken joined the cow.

I think checking temps is a must for a giant chunk 'o meat slow smoked. But for the common 1" steak I will probably just go back to eye balling it.

I always let it sit for a time after taking inside. And the idea of wrapping in foil is intriguing. I might give that a shot.

Doc told me my cholesterol is too high, so today it's plant-based "brats"! Aside from missing the bite of the natural casing, they were tasty! The foil has some onions i fried on the griddle side! You can see just how funky our old Weber is after all those years! It sure feels like summer with a lunch of brats and cold, juicy watermelon! Just enough time for a nap before a high school baseball game–first round of sectional playoffs! Go Evanston Wildkits!
Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 2.01.36 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 2.02.19 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-05-31 at 2.02.43 PM.png

Doc told me my cholesterol is too high, so today it's plant-based "brats"! Aside from missing the bite of the natural casing, they were tasty! The foil has some onions i fried on the griddle side! You can see just how funky our old Weber is after all those years! It sure feels like summer with a lunch of brats and cold, juicy watermelon! Just enough time for a nap before a high school baseball game–first round of sectional playoffs! Go Evanston Wildkits!
View attachment 92198

View attachment 92199View attachment 92200
Very nice!

I've got an old Weber gas grill (maybe 18-20 years now- yes I'm needing a new one, some day) that I've actually rebuilt the burner manifolds with new parts a couple of times, saved me a bunch of $$$ as these grills ain't cheap.

Very nice!

I've got an old Weber gas grill (maybe 18-20 years now- yes I'm needing a new one, some day) that I've actually rebuilt the burner manifolds with new parts a couple of times, saved me a bunch of $$$ as these grills ain't cheap.
My Weber kettle is over 20 years old, maybe 30. It’s holding up well, but for some reason one of the legs doesn’t fit all the way, so it sits slightly askew and some of the fat from the meat drains on the side of the kettle. Winter project - clean it up and get the legs straight. It promises to be a messy job, perhaps with some potent chemicals that will require hours of burning off.

View attachment 92198

View attachment 92199View attachment 92200
if you don't mind me asking, what brand of brats were those? I can't eat regular sausages either: I sure do miss the bratwurst & sauerkraut smothered in mustard etc!

• Wow
Reactions: GOS
Unlike others in my family I enjoy plant based protein as an alternative to meat. Tempeh & Edamame noodles are my frequent go to's. As for Beyond Meat & others I am quite curious... and then I look at the sodium content & think, it's not that healthy. Two of those brats (who can eat just one?) pack a whole gram 'o sodium. Ain't no way my beta bl;ocker is gonna block that.

Unlike others in my family I enjoy plant based protein as an alternative to meat. Tempeh & Edamame noodles are my frequent go to's. As for Beyond Meat & others I am quite curious... and then I look at the sodium content & think, it's not that healthy. Two of those brats (who can eat just one?) pack a whole gram 'o sodium. Ain't no way my beta bl;ocker is gonna block that.
No wonder they were so tasty! I need to start reading those packages!! My heart thanks you for the heads-up!!!

I wonder if they have any less salt than regular brats? Processed meats usually do have a lot of salt in them.
Excellent point, Mr. Gumma. Because of you I just learned a regular Johnsonville brat has 730mg sodium. This makes the Beyond Meat selection preferable in this respect. Now comparing brats to burgers, a medium size patty of ground beef has only 378mg sodium.

Really, balancing fat, sodium, sugar, and calories in general is indeed a tough balancing act. I know I eat a lot healthier than I did in my 20's>30's but sometimes ya just gotta not worry & grill something tasty.

Excellent point, Mr. Gumma. Because of you I just learned a regular Johnsonville brat has 730mg sodium. This makes the Beyond Meat selection preferable in this respect. Now comparing brats to burgers, a medium size patty of ground beef has only 378mg sodium.

Really, balancing fat, sodium, sugar, and calories in general is indeed a tough balancing act. I know I eat a lot healthier than I did in my 20's>30's but sometimes ya just gotta not worry & grill something tasty.
Lord help us, but I sometimes use a half a Johnsonville Polska Kielbasa split open and grilled instead of a Hot Dog, on a big bun 😋
Hey, it's GLUTEN FREE! Balance it out with some nice high fiber beans on the side.

No wonder they were so tasty! I need to start reading those packages!! My heart thanks you for the heads-up!!!

Welcome all to:

The QuadraphonicQuad Health Network!

By definition brats, wursts, hot dogs etc are not supposed to be healthy.

Back