Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who knows what they’ll pull out of the bag next; I just know I’m getting itchy for more, and figure it’s about time to feed m’ Quad fix 🤤 💉
It's been on my mind as well as of late. Japan 7" series as well I wonder what will be next, More Santana? Or will they surprise us with a Jazz / Fusion title out of the blue? Will DV come up with one of the true evergreen blockbusters, those albums with a major hit or two, sonics that got MFSL on the case in the US, and a sweet quad mix. Maybe another Universal controlled title, or a Warner title would be a surprise wouldn't it be! One thing we know is that it's not all over yet for physical media.

Animals, Santana III, and TYA A Space in Time have held me over. Free-For-All was another killer. I gotta count my blessings as a classic rock fan. It's been pretty darn good lately.

Last edited:
Any Harry Nilsson. 🥃 🥃
I wonder if there is a problem with the quad master tape? So many chances to get this out on disc and no one does it. MFSL has done the stereo in both gold CD and SACD I believe. There have been two other reissues with different bonus tracks. There was one song on the AF "The Collection An Adventure In Sound" in quad "Without You" from the big album.

So there is licensing available, the tapes appear to be there, and we've been close, oh so close but no.

How could such a classic killer album with a quad mix just be passed on over and over again? Just like Edgar Winter's big hit album being passed on. We get a Judy Collins, or a Mac Davis instead.

I wonder if there is a problem with the quad master tape? So many chances to get this out on disc and no one does it. MFSL has done the stereo in both gold CD and SACD I believe. There have been two other reissues with different bonus tracks. There was one song on the AF "The Collection An Adventure In Sound" in quad "Without You" from the big album.

So there is licensing available, the tapes appear to be there, and we've been close, oh so close but no.

How could such a classic killer album with a quad mix just be passed on over and over again? Just like Edgar Winter's big hit album being passed on. We get a Judy Collins, or a Mac Davis instead.
I've also been waiting for Edgar Winter's "They only come out at Night" forever. Also Janis Joplin's Pearl, and Morman Tabernacle Choir's "Messiah Highlights" (great for Christmas!).

Is Jefferson Airplane possible rights wise? Volunteers or Worst of... would be a dream come true. Speaking of which, did either Sunfighter or Blows Against the Empire get mixed into quad back then? Any Hot Tuna in quad would sell like hot cakes.

Jefferson Airplane – Volunteers

1682008435237.png

… or a sixer of Coke at least 😄

Here’s a classical title I’d love for them to take on -

https://www.discogs.com/release/261...ne-OrmandyPhiladelphia-Orchestra-Scheherazade
I'm a big fan of this RCA one, just incredible sound quality. BMG did issue this album in a dolby digital surround CD which I own but have not played back decoded yet.

Eugene Ormandy - The Fantastic Philadelphians, Vol. 1 - Sheer Sonic Sorcery
RCA Red Seal – ERQ1-0002-QF
Reel-To-Reel, 7 ½ ips, ¼", Quadraphonic, 7"
US 1972

1 Espana Rhapsody
Composed By – Chabrier
2 The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Composed By – Dukas
3 Danse Macabre
Composed By – Saint-Saens
4 A Night On Bald Mountain
Composed By – Moussorgsky

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 0
  • reel.jpg
    reel.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
I'm a big fan of this RCA one, just incredible sound quality. BMG did issue this album in a dolby digital surround CD which I own but have not played back decoded yet.

Eugene Ormandy - The Fantastic Philadelphians, Vol. 1 - Sheer Sonic Sorcery
RCA Red Seal – ERQ1-0002-QF
Reel-To-Reel, 7 ½ ips, ¼", Quadraphonic, 7"
US 1972

1 Espana Rhapsody
Composed By – Chabrier
2 The Sorcerer's Apprentice
Composed By – Dukas
3 Danse Macabre
Composed By – Saint-Saens
4 A Night On Bald Mountain
Composed By – Moussorgsky
The RCA Dolby Surround CD combines both Volume 1 and 2, and sounds excellent when decoded with the Surround Master. It has a total of 11 tracks, and is part of RCA's High Performance series. It's worth seeking out.

at this point, these are some (but not all 😅 ) of my most hoped-for DV MultiCh SACD releases..

from TL to BR;

Labelle "Phoenix", B.T. Express "Energy To Burn", Maynard Ferguson "Conquistador", Staple Singers "Be What You Are", Wendy Carlos " Switched-On Bach", Billy Joel "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles", West Bruce & Laing "Why Doncha" (also "Whatever Turns You On" which i couldn't find my SQ LP of 👀🤭 ).. Mountain "Avalanche", Ramsey Lewis Trio "Upendo Ni Pamoja", Charlie McCoy "The Nashville Hit Man" & "The Fastest Harp In The South", Andy Williams "You've Got A Friend", "Love Story", "Alone Again (Naturally)", "Love Theme From The Godfather", "Andy", Redbone "Message From A Drum", The Best Of Mountain, Michael Martin Murphy "Swans Against The Sun", New Riders Of The Purple Sage "The Adventures Of Panama Red", Lee Michaels "Nice Day For Something", Janis Ian "Between The Lines" & "Aftertones", Liza Minnelli "The Singer", Ray Price "For The Good Times", Johnny Mathis "Love Story, "When Will I See You Again", "I'm Coming Home", "Song Sung Blue", "Me & Mrs. Jones", "You've Got A Friend".

IMG_9335.jpeg

IMG_9336.jpeg

IMG_9326.jpeg

IMG_9325.jpeg

Last edited:
here's some more ol' Quad gems i'd dearly love DV to sprinkle their magic dust over! 🥰🙏

Barbra Streisand "Funny Girl", "The Way We Were", "Stoney End", "Barbra Joan Streisand", "Butter Fly", "Lazy Afternoon", Don Ellis "Tears Of Joy", Neil Diamond "Serenade", Edgar Winter Group "Shock Treatment", Edgar Winter Group w/Rick Derringer", "They Only Come Out At Night", Johnny Winter "John Dawson Winter III", "Saints & Sinners", "Still Alive & Well", The Byrds "Byrdmaniax", Dave Mason "It's Like You Never Left", "Dave Mason", "Split Coconut", Bob Dylan "Nashville Skyline", "Desire", Redbone "Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes", David Essex "Rock On", Wild Cherry "Electrified Funk", Minnie Riperton "Perfect Angel" & "Adventures In Paradise", M.F.S.B. "Love Is The Message", Johnny Nash "My Merry Go Round", Loggins & Messina "Native Sons", Janis Joplin "Pearl", The Manhattans "It Feels So Good".

IMG_9328.jpeg

IMG_9331.jpeg

IMG_9332.jpeg

IMG_9333.jpeg

Last edited:
now we're getting into wildest dreams territory.. 🤞💘 🙏 💎

Phoebe Snow "Second Childhood", Aerosmith "Rocks", "Toys In The Attic", "Get Your Wings", Simon & Garfunkel "Bridge Over Troubled Water", Paul Simon "Still Crazy After All These Years", "Paul Simon", "There Goes Rhymin' Simon", The Isley Brothers "Harvest For The World", "Live It Up" & "Go For Your Guns", Sly Stone "Small Talk" & High On You", The O'Jays "Live In London" & "Message In The Music", Dan Fogelberg "Captured Angel", "Introducing Larry Coryell & The Eleventh House", Issac Hayes "Tough Guys", "Truck Turner", "Shaft", "Joy" & "Live At The Sahara Tahoe".

IMG_9327.jpeg

IMG_9334.jpeg

IMG_9329.jpeg

Last edited:
some RCA, Arista and Fantasy-Prestige-Milestone Quads that i would be over the moon to see DV remaster on Surround SACD 😍✌️🌈🥳🤞

Buddy Rich "A Different Drummer", "David Clayton Thomas", "Stephen Michael Schwartz", Dolly Parton "Bubbling Over", Harry Nilsson "Nilsson Schmilsson", "Gil Evans Orchestra Plays The Music Of Jimi Hendrix", Jerry Reed "Lord, Mr. Ford", "Tony Orlando & Dawn Greatest Hits", The Brecker Brothers "Back To Back", Melissa Manchester "Better Days & Happy Endings", Barry Manilow "This One's For You" & "II", Godspell, The Outlaws "Lady In Waiting", "Eric Carmen", (i also snuck in Synergy's "Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra" QS! 🤭😋 ) , Jose Feliciano "Compartments" & "Feliciano!", Blackbyrds "Flying Start", Stanley Turrentine "Pieces Of Dreams".

IMG_9338.jpeg

IMG_9337.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

Last edited:
here's some more ol' Quad gems i'd dearly love DV to sprinkle their magic dust over! 🥰🙏

Barbra Streisand "Funny Girl", "The Way We Were", "Stoney End", "Barbra Joan Streisand", "Butter Fly", "Lazy Afternoon", Don Ellis "Tears Of Joy", Neil Diamond "Serenade", Edgar Winter Group "Shock Treatment", Edgar Winter Group w/Rick Derringer", "They Only Come Out At Night", Johnny Winter "John Dawson Winter III", "Saints & Sinners", "Still Alive & Well", The Byrds "Byrdmaniax", Dave Mason "It's Like You Never Left", "Dave Mason", "Split Coconut", Bob Dylan "Nashville Skyline", "Desire", Redbone "Beaded Dreams Through Turquoise Eyes", David Essex "Rock On", Wild Cherry "Electrified Funk", Minnie Riperton "Perfect Angel" & "Adventures In Paradise", M.F.S.B. "Love Is The Message", Johnny Nash "My Merry Go Round", Loggins & Messina "Native Sons", Janis Joplin "Pearl", The Manhattans "It Feels So Good".

View attachment 92899
View attachment 92900
View attachment 92901
at this point, these are some (but not all 😅 ) of my most hoped-for DV MultiCh SACD releases..

from TL to BR;

Labelle "Phoenix", B.T. Express "Energy To Burn", Maynard Ferguson "Conquistador", Staple Singers "Be What You Are", Wendy Carlos " Switched-On Bach", Billy Joel "Piano Man" & "Turnstiles", West Bruce & Laing "Why Doncha" (also "Whatever Turns You On" which i couldn't find my SQ LP of 👀🤭 ).. Mountain "Avalanche", Ramsey Lewis Trio "Upendo Ni Pamoja", Charlie McCoy "The Nashville Hit Man" & "The Fastest Harp In The South", Andy Williams "You've Got A Friend", "Love Story", "Alone Again (Naturally)", "Love Theme From The Godfather", "Andy", Redbone "Message From A Drum", The Best Of Mountain, Michael Martin Murphy "Swans Against The Sun", New Riders Of The Purple Sage "The Adventures Of Panama Red", Lee Michaels "Nice Day For Something", Janis Ian "Between The Lines" & "Aftertones", Liza Minnelli "The Singer", Ray Price "For The Good Times", Johnny Mathis "Love Story, "When Will I See You Again", "I'm Coming Home", "Song Sung Blue", "Me & Mrs. Jones", "You've Got A Friend".

View attachment 92891
View attachment 92890
View attachment 92889
View attachment 92888
some RCA, Arista and Fantasy-Prestige-Milestone Quads that i would be over the moon to see DV remaster on Surround SACD 😍✌️🌈🥳🤞

Buddy Rich "A Different Drummer", "David Clayton Thomas", "Stephen Michael Schwartz", Dolly Parton "Bubbling Over", Harry Nilsson "Nilsson Schmilsson", "Gil Evans Orchestra Plays The Music Of Jimi Hendrix", Jerry Reed "Lord, Mr. Ford", "Tony Orlando & Dawn Greatest Hits", The Brecker Brothers "Back To Back", Melissa Manchester "Better Days & Happy Endings", Barry Manilow "This One's For You" & "II", Godspell, The Outlaws "Lady In Waiting", "Eric Carmen", (i also snuck in Synergy's "Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra" QS! 🤭😋 ) , Jose Feliciano "Compartments" & "Feliciano!", Blackbyrds "Flying Start", Stanley Turrentine "Pieces Of Dreams".

View attachment 92929
View attachment 92930
View attachment 92931
I'm IN for ALL of them, ADAM.

Who do I make the check out to?

Amazing collection Mr. Buckley!

Back