Suggestions for Dutton Vocalion Multichannel SACD Releases

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sure hope rhino gets to them soon, the 2 together would be great. but i would be overly happy to pay for them as stand alone brs. here's hoping.

Well, I can say that some of the upcoming titles that I've helped out on are in the pictures that @fredblue posted (he loves to get his ellpees out for the lads) ...and some of them aren't! πŸ‘€

Oh man, Dave. Adam posted a LOT of photos....I wish he had only posted Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis....and that your post still stands! :hi :censored:

some RCA, Arista and Fantasy-Prestige-Milestone Quads that i would be over the moon to see DV remaster on Surround SACD 😍✌️🌈πŸ₯³πŸ€ž

Buddy Rich "A Different Drummer", "David Clayton Thomas", "Stephen Michael Schwartz", Dolly Parton "Bubbling Over", Harry Nilsson "Nilsson Schmilsson", "Gil Evans Orchestra Plays The Music Of Jimi Hendrix", Jerry Reed "Lord, Mr. Ford", "Tony Orlando & Dawn Greatest Hits", The Brecker Brothers "Back To Back", Melissa Manchester "Better Days & Happy Endings", Barry Manilow "This One's For You" & "II", Godspell, The Outlaws "Lady In Waiting", "Eric Carmen", (i also snuck in Synergy's "Electronic Realizations For Rock Orchestra" QS! πŸ€­πŸ˜‹ ) , Jose Feliciano "Compartments" & "Feliciano!", Blackbyrds "Flying Start", Stanley Turrentine "Pieces Of Dreams".

View attachment 92929
View attachment 92930
View attachment 92931
My mom had Barry Manilow albums and through that I became a fan. Kind of ignored him for decades as my tastes changed, but if these came out from DV, they’d be an easy buy. (Along without a load of others things from your posts.)

The RCA Dolby Surround CD combines both Volume 1 and 2, and sounds excellent when decoded with the Surround Master. It has a total of 11 tracks, and is part of RCA's High Performance series. It's worth seeking out.
That CD does add some tracks from Vol. 2 to the running order on this reissued in RCA's High Performance series, but not all of the tracks from that second volume appear. I needle dropped them (missing tracks) to digital from the CD-4 LP just so I would have the complete set of knock-out performances on my music server.

Well, I can say that some of the upcoming titles that I've helped out on are in the pictures that @fredblue posted (he loves to get his ellpees out for the lads) ...and some of them aren't! πŸ‘€
What hath the Foraging Rhino wrought? It's a new era. Now we're even getting advance hints from inside the D-V fortress!

Last edited:
here's some more ol' Quad gems i'd dearly love DV to sprinkle their magic dust over! πŸ₯°πŸ™

Dave Mason "It's Like You Never Left", "Dave Mason", "Split Coconut",

View attachment 92900
View attachment 92901
Big mystery to me why the Dave Mason album "It's Like You Never Left" has not been given the DV treatment while lesser albums have. I'm going to just assume that it's like the Nilsson situation, there is an issue, and they did try for it. His most commercially successful album, a major hit, lovely production qualities, a Sony controlled title, previous audiophile reissues were granted, not a "superstar" with potentially (very) demanding management. So I wonder what could be the deal?

Oh, and it's pure DV "genre" pop material. So maybe it is on the way on a soon to be announced SACD??

Big mystery to me why the Dave Mason album "It's Like You Never Left" has not been given the DV treatment while lesser albums have. I'm going to just assume that it's like the Nilsson situation, there is an issue, and they did try for it. His most commercially successful album, a major hit, lovely production qualities, a Sony controlled title, previous audiophile reissues were granted, not a "superstar" with potentially (very) demanding management. So I wonder what could be the deal?

Oh, and it's pure DV "genre" pop material. So maybe it is on the way on a soon to be announced SACD??

D-V has to do battle with every other UK reissue label to secure the rights to albums - in the case of Dave Mason, BGO Records has had the rights to most of his catalog in the UK for nearly 10 years, on what seems to be some kind of rolling contract. Not saying this can't change - lots of D-V releases in the last few years have been for titles they've had to "wait out" the licensing period of another label on - but it's not as if they're purposely ignoring titles that are available.

Oh man, Dave. Adam posted a LOT of photos....I wish he had only posted Andy Williams and Johnny Mathis....and that your post still stands! :hi :censored:
well i had the day off before i dragged my carcass to terminal 2 ✈️πŸ₯³ so thought "why doncha" πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ and dropped the motherload of my DV most desired, which smoked out a smokescreened tidbit of info from their main man on the inside! 😎 now we wait with baited breath 😷🀞

My mom had Barry Manilow albums and through that I became a fan. Kind of ignored him for decades as my tastes changed, but if these came out from DV, they’d be an easy buy. (Along without a load of others things from your posts.)
there's real Quad treasures in Sony's vault aside from the main event of the myriad CBS delights DV haven't remastered already! 🀩

hopefully DV can secure at least some of these because not only are they fab mixes but also musically they deserve a new lease on life πŸ’“

Completely agree - I think the two Minnie Riperton quads would've been done and dusted by D-V by now if they were still with Sony, but they're under the control of UMG because her lawyer somehow negotiated her back catalog moving to Capitol when she signed with the label in the late '70s.

I'd also love to hear Introducing The Eleventh House, which is one of the great underrated fusion albums of all time. This one, being on Vanguard, is controlled by Concord (who also own the Stax and Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone catalogs amongst other things) so it's another big hurdle to overcome. D-V have no pre-existing relationship with them, but they have licensed out some stuff in the past to US labels for SACD reissue, including some of the Prestige and Milestone jazz titles to AP. There are at least three other Coryell quad mixes, Offering, Live at the Village Gate and the unreleased The Real Great Escape which would make for a nice multi-disc set or a couple of two-fers alongside Introducing The Eleventh House.

Mike and I have spoken about both of these artists over the years so I know he's well aware of the existence of their quad masters - I'm not sure what roadblocks exist currently but I can only think the more chatter there is about them (or any quad titles) the more likely he is to think it's worth putting in the time toward making them happen.

Completely agree - I think the two Minnie Riperton quads would've been done and dusted by D-V by now if they were still with Sony, but they're under the control of UMG because her lawyer somehow negotiated her back catalog moving to Capitol when she signed with the label in the late '70s.

I'd also love to hear Introducing The Eleventh House, which is one of the great underrated fusion albums of all time. This one, being on Vanguard, is controlled by Concord (who also own the Stax and Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone catalogs amongst other things) so it's another big hurdle to overcome. D-V have no pre-existing relationship with them, but they have licensed out some stuff in the past to US labels for SACD reissue, including some of the Prestige and Milestone jazz titles to AP. There are at least three other Coryell quad mixes, Offering, Live at the Village Gate and the unreleased The Real Great Escape which would make for a nice multi-disc set or a couple of two-fers alongside Introducing The Eleventh House.

Mike and I have spoken about both of these artists over the years so I know he's well aware of the existence of their quad masters - I'm not sure what roadblocks exist currently but I can only think the more chatter there is about them (or any quad titles) the more likely he is to think it's worth putting in the time toward making them happen.
There was one quad by CCR that, I think, would be a great seller.

There was one quad by CCR that, I think, would be a great seller.

It's Creedence Gold the 1973 greatest hits comp, and yes I completely agree (even though a handful of the tracks are stereo upmixes) given that the CD-4 LP consistently sells for over $100 ebay, and the Q8 usually goes for double that.

I posted some (what I think is) interesting information in a thread about the Fantasy quad mixes a few years ago, but the nutshell version is that Fantasy's studios were quad equipped from 1971 and they didn't release Creedence Gold in quad until 1975, so to me the possibility exists that the tracks on that album (given their varying mixing styles) were culled from (unreleased) quad mixes of the individual albums, rather than newly prepared for the compilation. Having a quad-equipped studio for 4 years and only doing a half-dozen quad album mixes seems somewhat unlikely to me. Maybe someday D-V will be able to get into Concord's vault and look at the Fantasy/Prestige/Milestone archives to find out for sure, if we're lucky.

Back