Listening to in Dolby Atmos Streaming, via Tidal/Apple/Amazon

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 "disc" all atmos version of Shania Twain - Come On Over - though both the 'normal' and 'international' versions were already available in atmos. The 'normal' version seems to be slightly different (cause not established on my end). The 3rd album seems to be a bonus set of rarities.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/312550967
Shania Twain - Now album in atmos. Missed this; not sure how long it's been here for...
https://tidal.com/browse/album/308325371
Tim McGraw - new album Standing Room Only - his first in atmos to the best of my knowledge.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/311539494
Morgan Wade - Psychopath album - I had this recommended to me; haven't had a chance to listen to yet.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/311479899
Tidal link for the Ariana Grande 10th Anniversary release of the Yours Truly album. Not really my thing but hey, party on and all.
https://tidal.com/browse/album/312700257
I still have no luck with Jason Isbell's Weathervanes in Atmos, which annoys me!
They must have pulled Weathervanes. I grabbed it before it disappeared.

So, most of the links are from Apple Music. Is that because they're only on Apple Music? Does Apple have the most content? Are you all Mac users? Atmos is only available for Apple products on that platform, yes?

Tired Linux user feeling left out. I *think* Tidal works, but I'm not sure.

So, most of the links are from Apple Music. Is that because they're only on Apple Music? Does Apple have the most content? Are you all Mac users? Atmos is only available for Apple products on that platform, yes?

Tired Linux user feeling left out. I *think* Tidal works, but I'm not sure.
I think it’s more just that most of the users on this site ended up using Apple Music over other streamers. There’s quite a few Tidal users as well, but I was an Apple Music user long before Atmos was added for example, and I’d bet other people were as well (I was drawn to it by the ability to put any local file up in the cloud).

I don’t have exact figures in front of me, but the split for Apple/Tidal Atmos tracks is very nearly 1 to 1, with most major new Atmos mixes showing up on both same day. There have been instances in which one album doesn’t show up on the other platform, like Tidal has Max Cooper’s Emergence, while Apple Music doesn’t, and Apple Music has DJ mixes and other albums that seemingly are exclusive to Apple Music. Whether these are true exclusives or someone forgot to hit the switch, we don’t know.

For the most part, yes, right now Atmos is largely only on Apple devices, but someone in the Apple Music division of Apple must have finally realized that the reason they’re in (distant) second place to Spotify is that their non-Apple device support is… lousy at best. The PS5’s Apple Music app now supports Atmos output with the new 5.0 Beta firmware (full release unknown… probably within a month or so), Windows 10/11 is getting native desktop apps, presumably with Atmos (however the beta doesn’t have it yet, full release later this year, allegedly), and Android supporting Atmos since shortly after launch. Also one specific Mercedes Benz model.

I think it’s more just that most of the users on this site ended up using Apple Music over other streamers. There’s quite a few Tidal users as well, but I was an Apple Music user long before Atmos was added for example, and I’d bet other people were as well (I was drawn to it by the ability to put any local file up in the cloud).

I don’t have exact figures in front of me, but the split for Apple/Tidal Atmos tracks is very nearly 1 to 1, with most major new Atmos mixes showing up on both same day. There have been instances in which one album doesn’t show up on the other platform, like Tidal has Max Cooper’s Emergence, while Apple Music doesn’t, and Apple Music has DJ mixes and other albums that seemingly are exclusive to Apple Music. Whether these are true exclusives or someone forgot to hit the switch, we don’t know.

For the most part, yes, right now Atmos is largely only on Apple devices, but someone in the Apple Music division of Apple must have finally realized that the reason they’re in (distant) second place to Spotify is that their non-Apple device support is… lousy at best. The PS5’s Apple Music app now supports Atmos output with the new 5.0 Beta firmware (full release unknown… probably within a month or so), Windows 10/11 is getting native desktop apps, presumably with Atmos (however the beta doesn’t have it yet, full release later this year, allegedly), and Android supporting Atmos since shortly after launch. Also one specific Mercedes Benz model.
I also feel that Apple Music with their Spatial audio decoder tries to bring Atmos to more devices and tries to provide a better experience on headphones (with head tracking, user profile aka HRTF) than what Tidal provides.

One of my most anticipated Atoms albums was released recently, but although I get a Dolby Atmos signal, I can only hear it in stereo :(
AM even added it to their "Now in Spatial Audio" section, so it's very strange that it's not playing Atmos.
Can someone please check if this release is playing in Atmos on their system?

One of my most anticipated Atoms albums was released recently, but although I get a Dolby Atmos signal, I can only hear it in stereo :(
AM even added it to their "Now in Spatial Audio" section, so it's very strange that it's not playing Atmos.
plays in Atmos on iPhone through AirPod Pro's :phones 🤷🏻‍♀️

IMG_0915.jpeg

i'll try it in 7.1.4 speaker setup after the Bank Holiday 👍

I'm in the US, and exactly as you say....all songs on this title show Atmos on my AVR, yet they are clearly only playing in 2 channel stereo. Too bad, as I can tell it would sound amazing.

I checked, it is in atmos, I see signals in the other channels besides the left and right but it is very weak. You may hear the subwoofer on tracks like "The Sign" where it is really thumping.

It feels like they did it in "Atmos" just to get the Apple promotion.

I checked, it is in atmos, I see signals in the other channels besides the left and right but it is very weak. You may hear the subwoofer on tracks like "The Sign" where it is really thumping.

It feels like they did it in "Atmos" just to get the Apple promotion.
Thanks. I still hope that it's a technical issue.

And BTW, if someone hasn't seen the visuals on his live shows, please do yourself a favor and watch this sample below.

These visuals + Dolby Atmos = 🤯

I also feel that Apple Music with their Spatial audio decoder tries to bring Atmos to more devices and tries to provide a better experience on headphones (with head tracking, user profile aka HRTF) than what Tidal provides.
They do indeed, but only for Apple products of course.

I don't see any badge on Tidal to tell me whether a given album is Atmos encoded or not which is maddening. Also, I thought Atmos automatically converted to spatial audio when headphones were used as DTS:X does. I suppose it wouldn't know if you were using headphones or stereo speakers. Do Tidal or Amazon also have a spatial audio decoder, or is it just Apple?

They do indeed, but only for Apple products of course.

I don't see any badge on Tidal to tell me whether a given album is Atmos encoded or not which is maddening. Also, I thought Atmos automatically converted to spatial audio when headphones were used as DTS:X does. I suppose it wouldn't know if you were using headphones or stereo speakers. Do Tidal or Amazon also have a spatial audio decoder, or is it just Apple?
Where are you looking for an Atmos badge on Tidal?

In the Web Player.
I see the Atmos badge on the web and on my phone, in the App. I don't have the links now on my phone, but there is a whole web section for Atmos, but it is very incomplete. You need to use the app, search an Artist, pick any album, then select more albums from this artist. Then you can see all the albums and which ones are in Atmos. Sad that the process isn't easier.

Back