Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece (Steven Wilson Remix)" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1 and stereo (2/16/2024-Alucard)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started listening. I’ve never heard this album before so it’s all new to me. Only four songs in. Mix is very good.
BTW no issues or anomalies in between songs or any cutting off.

Just got and listened to mine today. I'm surprised no one else here has noticed what I have and complained about it. Is no one else having a problem with the Atmos and 5.1 mixes cutting off the beginning of every track except for "Memories of Old Days"? Stereo is fine on the Blu except for the first song where it does the same. For me, the video starts with about 1-2 seconds of silence before the music is heard. That there seems to be no dead space between most of the videos at all makes me think this should be affecting others as well (or at least the least, folks would notice there is little to no silence between songs).

Unfortunately as excited I was to get this disc, this problem is really bothersome. I've not seen this occur with any other disc, and I've played a good number.

I'm playing the disc on a recent and updated Sony Blu-ray player.
I have the same issue on this disc, but only for the first track, and in every mix including stereo. Its not happened to me before either!

Normally it is issues with the player's HDMI handshake with the receiver. Rarely is it the disc.

I thought the same, but this is the only disc I've ever had a problem with. I don't receive dropouts during Blu-ray movies, so it strongly suggests an authoring problem to me. Since an HDMI handshake takes time, the author should account for this.

Can anyone confirm? On my phone it says Apple music has this as Atmos while my Apple TV 4k is Lossless only. Which is correct?

Just got and listened to mine today. I'm surprised no one else here has noticed what I have and complained about it. Is no one else having a problem with the Atmos and 5.1 mixes cutting off the beginning of every track except for "Memories of Old Days"? Stereo is fine on the Blu except for the first song where it does the same. For me, the video starts with about 1-2 seconds of silence before the music is heard. That there seems to be no dead space between most of the videos at all makes me think this should be affecting others as well (or at least the least, folks would notice there is little to no silence between songs).

Unfortunately as excited I was to get this disc, this problem is really bothersome. I've not seen this occur with any other disc, and I've played a good number.

I'm playing the disc on a recent and updated Sony Blu-ray player.
When I play either the disc or the ripped mkv file, I usually experience a very brief cutoff at the beginning of the first song played, only. Skipping back to the beginning fixes that problem and it does not occur on any other track as the album plays through. On the rare occasion I skip around to different tracks after playing the first track, the issue does not seem to re-occur. I'm very doubtful there is a disc authoring problem - my guess is that your specific mix of equipment is having a problem with either an hdmi handshake or a delay in codec recognition. "Memories of Old Days" has a long fade in from silence and may be giving your equipment enough time to lock on to the audio properly before you can hear anything amiss. A brief cutoff of the very first track I play in a listening session is something I encounter on a fair number of discs.

If you can rip the disc to files, you could try editing them in something like Audacity and insert a second or two of silence before each track to see if that fixes the problem with your equipment. Unfortunately, that is a lot of work and shouldn't be necessary, but it might help clarify where the problem lies.

As I said in an earlier post, this is the first time I have ever heard this album. While the music is OK and the mix is fine, did the band lose their Prog membership card after they put this album out??
I mean 9 songs with a run time of 36 minutes. WTF? 😀

When I play either the disc or the ripped mkv file, I usually experience a very brief cutoff at the beginning of the first song played, only. Skipping back to the beginning fixes that problem and it does not occur on any other track as the album plays through. On the rare occasion I skip around to different tracks after playing the first track, the issue does not seem to re-occur. I'm very doubtful there is a disc authoring problem - my guess is that your specific mix of equipment is having a problem with either an hdmi handshake or a delay in codec recognition. "Memories of Old Days" has a long fade in from silence and may be giving your equipment enough time to lock on to the audio properly before you can hear anything amiss. A brief cutoff of the very first track I play in a listening session is something I encounter on a fair number of discs.

If you can rip the disc to files, you could try editing them in something like Audacity and insert a second or two of silence before each track to see if that fixes the problem with your equipment. Unfortunately, that is a lot of work and shouldn't be necessary, but it might help clarify where the problem lies.
Mebbe its why it took forever to rip here, 1hr20min

As I said in an earlier post, this is the first time I have ever heard this album. While the music is OK and the mix is fine, did the band lose their Prog membership card after they put this album out??
I mean 9 songs with a run time of 36 minutes. WTF? 😀
They reverted back towards their old 'pop' sensibilities (I remember their 1967 single Kites) as they were https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Dupree_and_the_Big_Sound which morphed into GG.

If I remember correctly from when "The Missing Piece" was released, they said they had taken the punk vibe on board and decided to go for shorter songs. I do love this album although it is rather different!

They reverted back towards their old 'pop' sensibilities (I remember their 1967 single Kites) as they were https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Dupree_and_the_Big_Sound which morphed into GG.

If I remember correctly from when "The Missing Piece" was released, they said they had taken the punk vibe on board and decided to go for shorter songs. I do love this album although it is rather different!
I like it too! What is clear, they may have altered their sound, but their musicianship is still unmistakable.

I have the same issue on this disc, but only for the first track, and in every mix including stereo. Its not happened to me before either!
I compared the times with the original CD and all of the times are different. But, specifically, Two Weeks in Spain is two seconds short and those two seconds are the silence at the beginning of the track. It feels clipped at the beginning. Not sure if it is that or just it starting so abruptly without silence first.

Does anyone know why In A Glass House was not released in surround? I wonder if this is the last Gentle Giant surround release. I have enjoyed them all.

Does anyone know why In A Glass House was not released in surround? I wonder if this is the last Gentle Giant surround release. I have enjoyed them all.
Missing multitracks 😔

Portions of Acquiring the Taste and Three Friends have suffered the same fate. But the full tapes for the debut album were eventually found and tapes have been turning up for the XTC catalogue so who knows? Only time will tell.

First listen to the album/Atmos mix last night. Side one left me cold. Very repetitious. Side 2 was what I wanted from a Giant release. I'll guess this album has slipped to the bottom of the multichannel GG release pile.

Just got mine in and ripping with MakeMKV.

I notice that there should be a song #10 winning (outtake) bonus track, but only get the first nine with bot DTS-HD MA 5.1 and the TrueHD 7.1 Atmos rips. So is that #10 just in DD?

Back