Gentle Giant "The Missing Piece (Steven Wilson Remix)" CD/Blu-ray set w/ Atmos, 5.1 and stereo (2/16/2024-Alucard)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got notification from Amazon that delivery has been moved up from the 8th, to the 3rd.
Really a strange release.

Anyone in the UK got theirs yet? I pre-ordered from Burning Shed. I've seen no updates from them given on release date.

Anyone in the UK got theirs yet? I pre-ordered from Burning Shed. I've seen no updates from them given on release date.
Not yet, I did get an email a while ago from the Shed saying release delayed until the 29th March - I suspect that not enough copies were pressed by GG's label!

Before I go into outer space trying to figure out, maybe someone has gone before me.
Ripping the Blu Ray Disc.
Make MKV
MKV video files. This is what I can see so far.

There should be SW Remix in stereo, 5.1 and Atmos. Also a instrumental mix, 1977 stereo and videos for each track.
I could easily just finish each one and playback, but maybe someone has gone before me?

t00=stereo but which one?
t01=stereo but which one?
t02=5.1 OK.
t03= Video but which one?
t04=Atmos OK.
t05= video, does not have chapters.

Before I go into outer space trying to figure out, maybe someone has gone before me.
Ripping the Blu Ray Disc.
Make MKV
MKV video files. This is what I can see so far.

There should be SW Remix in stereo, 5.1 and Atmos. Also a instrumental mix, 1977 stereo and videos for each track.
I could easily just finish each one and playback, but maybe someone has gone before me?

t00=stereo but which one?
t01=stereo but which one?
t02=5.1 OK.
t03= Video but which one?
t04=Atmos OK.
t05= video, does not have chapters.
Wish I could help. I ran into the same deal, and got annoyed and impatient and went straight fot eh ATmos and 5.1 DTS HD Master.

I ripped my Missing Piece Blu-Ray last night using MakeMKV.
I identified the non-surround mkv files by playing them with the VLC media player.
I renamed each file after I sampled it, so I cannot tell you how the _t0* match up - sorry.

And, as per usual....my paid copy of DVD passkey simply cannot even open the disc at all. I get error messages. For this reason, I paid for a shiny new do it all copy of DVD Fab 13.....and I get the same error message.

Makemkv opened it with ease. I'm getting a real attitude about DVDFab stuff lately. Their support act like they have no idea what is going on.

I just got this email from Burning Shed about the GG disc,

Hi

We are sorry about the delay shipping your order.
Due to a communication breakdown between us and Chrysalis, copies of this new Steven Wilson Remix are late arriving here at Burning Shed.
We hope to have copies shortly and will ship your order as soon as they reach us.
Kind Regards

Pete

www.burningshed.com
[email protected]

My copy arrived today from Amazon (via USPS) 3 days early. Amazon never bothered to update their arrival date of Friday even though USPS tracking showed it being delivered today. Whatever...

Had to do a quick listen to the Atmos mix - it's stunningly good with tremendous directionality, depth and fidelity. And yes, Memories Of Old Days is as gorgeous as you hoped it would be. Even Two Weeks In Spain is mixed in a more interesting way than I expected. Unfortunately, the last 3 songs on side 1 (Betcha Thought We Couldn't Do It, Who Do You Think You Are?, Mountain Time) cannot be redeemed for me, even with Steven Wilson TLC. My rips won't include those, leaving a pretty short but very good album.

I got mine last Saturday from Rarewaves UK.
I emailed Burning Shed. This is what they said:-

"We are sorry about the delay shipping your order.

Due to a communication breakdown between us and Chrysalis, copies of this new Steven Wilson Remix are late arriving here at Burning Shed.

We hope to have copies shortly and will ship your order as soon as they reach us."

Whoops. Seems I have to be patient.

- Nick.

Just got and listened to mine today. I'm surprised no one else here has noticed what I have and complained about it. Is no one else having a problem with the Atmos and 5.1 mixes cutting off the beginning of every track except for "Memories of Old Days"? Stereo is fine on the Blu except for the first song where it does the same. For me, the video starts with about 1-2 seconds of silence before the music is heard. That there seems to be no dead space between most of the videos at all makes me think this should be affecting others as well (or at least the least, folks would notice there is little to no silence between songs).

Unfortunately as excited I was to get this disc, this problem is really bothersome. I've not seen this occur with any other disc, and I've played a good number.

I'm playing the disc on a recent and updated Sony Blu-ray player.

t got and listened to mine today. I'm surprised no one else here has noticed what I have and complained about it. Is no one else having a problem with the Atmos and 5.1 mixes cutting off the beginning of every track except for "Memories of Old Days"? Stereo is fine on the Blu except for the first song where it does the same. For me, the video starts with about 1-2 seconds of silence before the music is heard. That there seems to be no dead space between most of the videos at all makes me think this should be affecting others as well (or at least the least, folks would notice there is little to no silence between songs).

Unfortunately as excited I was to get this disc, this problem is really bothersome. I've not seen this occur with any other disc, and I've played a good number.

Mine plays perfectly, both physical disc and ripped disc. Multiple times. Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just got and listened to mine today. I'm surprised no one else here has noticed what I have and complained about it. Is no one else having a problem with the Atmos and 5.1 mixes cutting off the beginning of every track except for "Memories of Old Days"? Stereo is fine on the Blu except for the first song where it does the same. For me, the video starts with about 1-2 seconds of silence before the music is heard. That there seems to be no dead space between most of the videos at all makes me think this should be affecting others as well (or at least the least, folks would notice there is little to no silence between songs).

Listening now to Atmos.
Ripped Blu Ray, MakeMKV>Music Media Helper.
MKV File, 24 bit/48Khz. DR's are 12, 13's, 14's, 15's, 16.
EDIT: Just finished and found it highly enjoyable with real cool Atmos stuff happening. The graphics were so 70's with a kind of Yellow Submarine vibe in the graphics.
I am sorry to say my friend that I did not experience any cutting off of music whatsoever. Did some of the videos start a hair before the music started, yes, and I actually preferred it that way.
I hope you are able to become satisfied with your copy.

Last edited:
Back