Quad LP/Tape Poll Kooper, Al, Mike Bloomfield, Stephen Stills - Super Session [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SQ/Q8 of Bloomfield, Kooper, Stills - Super Session

• 9 -

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8 -

• 7 -

• 6 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Originally released as a stereo LP in July 1968, Super Session was remixed and reissued on SQ matrix-encoded LP and quad 8-track in 1972 as part of CBS' initial wave of quadraphonic products.

NOTE: Super Session was also issued on Multichannel SACD by Audio Fidelity in 2014, using a new 5.1 remix by Al Kooper. This poll thread is for the original quad mix, which has yet to be re-released in a digital format.

SS front.jpeg
SS Back.jpeg
SS Disc.jpeg
Super Session Q8.jpeg

Columbia CQ 30991 [SQ LP] CAQ 30991 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: Super Session
Quadraphonic remix engineer: Don Young
Quadraphonic sound supervision: Jim Reeves

Side 1
  1. Albert's Shuffle
  2. Stop
  3. Man's Temptation
  4. His Holy Modal Majesty
  5. Really
Side 2
  1. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry
  2. Season Of The Witch
  3. You Don't Love Me
  4. Harvey's Tune

Bought nearly every version of this upon release: 2ch LP 8/68, Q8, SQ, CD, 2ch remix CD (autographed by Kooper), Japan SQ CD, and 5.1 SACD (new surround mix). Did not buy MoFi 1/2 speed or CBS Mastersound (US) Gold RBCD.

I met Kooper in the early 2000's. I asked him when the Quad mix would be released on SACD. His reply: "we finished a new 5.1 mix of Super Session, and one of Child. Sony has yet to release them." Ah, but Sony did release those new mixes on SACD through AF, albeit a few years later.

10. My first and most played version is the 2ch LP. Still, I've listened to SQ version several times. Q8 has been played over 100 times. By far, my most played surround version.

OK, music: Nothing short of spectacular, especially LP side 1 w/Bloomfield. Side 2 is same band w/Stills and warrants at least a 9.

Mostly blues jams, interspersed with some numbers. Album concept is based on Moby Grape's Grape Jam, bonus LP w/Wow, Both Kooper and Bloomfield sat in on piano on Grape Jam.

SQ/Q8 is still my favorite mix of this. I do like the 2ch and SACD multi mixes, too.

Fidelity is typical 1968 CBS studio.

GET THIS!!

One of the great Columbia SQ mixes! I also own the AF 5.1mix and was disappointed in that one. While it had sound elements that weren't noticeable in the original quad mix, it totally lacks the"punch" of the original. The SQ sounds fantastic via the S&IC! A ten!

Back