A NAS ty Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All you guys with NAS should form a cloud based library collective and sell subscription

Hopefully an official streaming service will do this with licensed surround content one day. There’s probably not enough users to make this viable commercially though, so probably not going to happen.

Are there only special drives that can be installed in Nas?

There are drives that are sold for multi drive NAS and servers with vibration stabilisation. Western Digital RED or RED Pro (faster than RED with 5yr warranty) are examples. Red are for NAS with up to 8 drives (3 yr warranty). Pro > 8 drives. Red are cheaper and perfectly ok for streaming HD MCH audio and HD/4K videos.

One thing to note is that RAID is not really backup.

Agreed. You still need external backup (fire theft or the possibility that more than one RAID drive fails - it happens). External USB drives are ok for this and come in 4TB pretty cheaply.

If someone is buying a new NAS they could reuse any existing drives as backup external drives.

If someone is buying a new NAS they could reuse any existing drives as backup external drives.

Now that you remind me, that's exactly what I did!

At one time there was a pretty hefty "NAS penalty" price-wise vs. USB. I think that's less true now for the more basic NASes like consumer-grade WD models, but I'm sure it's still very much true when you compare USB to the really nice NASes you're talking about.

At one time there was a pretty hefty "NAS penalty" price-wise vs. USB. I think that's less true now for the more basic NASes like consumer-grade WD models, but I'm sure it's still very much true when you compare USB to the really nice NASes you're talking about.

I have a 'workhorse' 1TB Zyxel (as RAID 1) which has WD discs which are still going strong, but the Zyxel uP keeps crashing! So transferring the files to a 4TB WD passport, then I'm going to stick the 1TB drives into the Synology DS216j as RAID 1 (its currently got 2x4TB which are empty!), and copy the files across to the 1TBs, which will become the 'workhorse'. Then get a Synology DS218j or DS218play and put the 2x WD Red 4TB discs into that (as RAID 1). And when I get time I'll start doing some serious disc ripping to FLAC - so just about 4.5 years until retirement! Eventually I'll get round to putting together the 20TB (RAID 1 probably) (4x 10TB WD Red Pro) Synology DS418play NAS :eek: which is still in boxes from just before Xmas!

My take on NAS based music systems:
QNAP has more powerful processors than Synology but depending on your system architecture that extra processing power is not needed nor in imo any advantage.
People put too much value on network bandwidth. 100MG is plenty for music.
Depending on your router, ISP bandwidth & placement\house structure, Wi-Fi works just fine.
Buy more capacity than you think need. Go for reliability in the HDs. WD Red are perfect.
Go with the most redundant RAID config. It may cut down on your capacity but if you've done good capacity planning redundancy is your friend.
Too many backups are not enough.
That's about it from me for the basics.
FWIW

QNAP has more powerful processors than Synology but depending on your system architecture that extra processing power is not needed nor in imo any advantage.

I mentioned cheap consumer-grade WD NASes previously because those are my primary drives and I'm very happy with them. They're inexpensive but do exactly what I need.

BUT...they're definitely limited. They don't offer the kind of fine-grained access control that you can get with a "real" Linux server and, I assume, with any higher-end NAS. And while they offer various media server options, they can't transcode or do anything else even remotely advanced.

Seems to me that one big question new/prospective users need to answer for themselves is where they need the processing power. If whatever is doing the rendering can handle any necessary additional processing, then they can probably skimp on the NAS. But if they're using a renderer with format limitations that necessitate upstream processing, then they're going to need something that can do more than just squirt out files.

If I had unlimited time and money, I'd probably build two servers running ZFS and make one the backup of the other. But that stuff interests me and goes way beyond what someone who just wants to stream music and video needs.

If I had unlimited time and money, I'd probably build two servers running ZFS and make one the backup of the other. But that stuff interests me and goes way beyond what someone who just wants to stream music and video needs.
Amen to that. My current file server is Ubuntu running zfs. One of these days I want to build another machine for back up.

Ah, now I understand, the simple availability of any technology of itself trumps morality. That's fantastic news.

Ah, now I understand, the simple availability of any technology of itself trumps morality. That's fantastic news.
Please don't confuse "morality" with legality and rules made up by the media firms and their lobbying associations. I would never for one microsecond consider them "moral". Let's consider that in thier eyes and according to their rules, all those that are even backing up their discs and or playing from a file server/hard drive for personal consumption are immoral, or at least were considered so. I am all in for justly compensating artists for their work, just to be clear, but please let's not bring morality into this.

Back