Amazon CD Quality and HD Quality Music streaming

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks CPR. Of course Amazon will need high-res source material to take advantage of the capability. Makes one wonder how they will get hold of this material.

New Atmos surround music with eventual sprouting off to more "Old School / Vintage" surround. O.K. @chucky3042, here's your chance; can you fit a decoder into a USB stick - IOT? Or, better yet have it built into an AVR via networking. Amazon has deep pockets and the clout to convince the labels to open up the vaults; and talk about exposure to surround, it'd all just come down to marketing in an intelligent fashion :unsure: - uh maybe I'm getting ahead of things here :oops:

Can this audio be captured? If so, and they stream 5.1, would the labels get behind it and release the backlog of their former Quad, DVD-A and SACD surround libraries to them?

Lots of possibilities but probably a lot of disappointments as well.

:unsure: thinking mainly 16/44 CD quality:unsure: Snood have prime music and have all my cds burned up to it, but just raaaaaaaaaaaaaaarely ever stream music.

Just hate the crappy connections, lag and skipping/stopping that occurs. Just a hassle at times. Know it always there, but just not be use it. :giggle:

Looks like a few classifications:
Standard "SD" - compressed, currently used in Amazon Music and Unlimited
"HD" - 16-bit, 44.1 kHz (CD-quality)
"Ultra HD" - 24-bit, 44.1; 24-bit 96 kHz

I'd love to see them move into delivering surround but doubt they would offer that before they get it off the ground.

Brief update; after downloading close to 1,000 HD songs last night, I noticed that I used up more than 40GB's of space, on my new IPhone XR
I have 128GB, but now there's only 10GB's remaining
The quality is yet to be determined; after tonight, I'll report back
Just remember HD means massive files, & lots of space on your phone
If you only have 64GB, let the buyer beware!

From my point of view, 16 bit/44.1 khz is what I call "Standard definition audio." I did read they were going to eventually be providing flac up to 24 bit/192 kHz on some music for Prime Music subscribers; perhaps from the same source as HDtracks?
Here's what's listed on discogs for one example:
https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Mystery-To-Me/release/12253390

Brief update: My brand new IPhone XR/128GB, keeps freezing, during HD playback
Obviously buggy; for SD playback, 3,500 songs, works great
This morning I deleted all the HD downloads, till Amazon has a fix
Wonder if anything will improve, after installing IOS 13 later today

Brief update: My brand new IPhone XR/128GB, keeps freezing, during HD playback
Obviously buggy; for SD playback, 3,500 songs, works great
This morning I deleted all the HD downloads, till Amazon has a fix
Wonder if anything will improve, after installing IOS 13 later today
Probably 5G will help also. If it’s real deal Hi-Def it’s gonna need a lot of pipe.

Can this audio be captured? If so, and they stream 5.1, would the labels get behind it and release the backlog of their former Quad, DVD-A and SACD surround libraries to them?

Lots of possibilities but probably a lot of disappointments as well.

Any audio can be captured in some way. Can be kinda tricky on a smartphone, but on a hdmi-enabled device you can convert to toslink 2 channel or analog 7.1 without hassles and tinkering on the hardware side.

Will try this for the 90 days, but deal breaker might be - no app for ATV4k and desktop app has no ability to stream to receiver. At least with Qobuz I can stream to my receiver and get up to 192/24.

Will try this for the 90 days, but deal breaker might be - no app for ATV4k and desktop app has no ability to stream to receiver. At least with Qobuz I can stream to my receiver and get up to 192/24.
What about connnecting a usb2toslink to the phone and stream to the receiver that way?

Back