• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!
  • Or, the forum for the old vinyl and quad 8's and reels. It's far from complete--there are many hundreds of non-classical titles yet to post--but a few hundred are here with more to come; I pretty much add 'em when I'm in the mood, or one of you good folks PM me with a request to add something. The best way to use this forum is to go to the bottom of the page and look for something alphabetically by title. The last name of an artist is first where applicable, as in Simon, Paul. The Guess Who are listed as Guess Who, The, to facilitate finding them easily. Soundtracks, Original Cast, and Various Artists are listed as such first, then the album title. A few classical titles are here, with Classical as a header (or will be if I ever weed them in). The idea is to be able to alphabetize and then click, page by page, an A-Z (forward or backward) of what it up at the moment. To do this effectively, remember to click 'Beginning' in the left box, 'Thread title' to its right, so that all titles will list. No titles are ever removed, and all are accessible, and nothing (to date) has been lost in the ether. Just as vinyl lasts a lot longer than its creators could have imagined, so has this board, so far. We're small but we ain't goin' anywhere! FWIW, most of these mixes are long out of print, and only available digitally through like-minded audiophiles--some easy to find, some tough, some perhaps impossible at this time due to rarity or someone just hasn't gotten around to making a transfer from the original sources. That's too bad, but the record companies in the new millennium have no interest in reissuing these even as DTS titles. The exceptions are the QS albums, which if you have the equipment, should decode on CD as they did on vinyl, since for most only a QS master was made. Some SQ titles do exist on CD as well, but not a lot, and less of those were SQ only. As for CD-4 discrete, some titles have made their way onto DVD-Audio, DVD or SACD formats and some OOP DTS titles, but the majority are still commercially unavailable, alas. Only vintage albums are spotlighted here, although there is nothing wrong with discussing the alternate 5.1 or quad mixes that have come along since the 1971-76 'golden age' of quadraphonic sound which, thanks to the three major competing formats (CD-4, SQ, QS), inferior decoding equipment, and consumer confusion and misunderstanding and major label incompetence, rendered the format all but dead by the end of '76. Anyone curious about what quad titles from this time frame exist should click here for Mark Anderson's discography listings. Final note: If there is a title you want to see here that I haven't gotten to as yet, shoot me a PM and I'll see what I can do. There are still many hundreds left to go, and we're here to stay.... ED

Quad LP/Tape Poll Creedence Clearwater Revival: Creedence Gold [CD-4/Q8]

Rate 'Creedence Gold'

• Total voters

EMB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Fantasy FPM-4001, from 1975.

Vinyl track listing:

Side 1:

Proud Mary
Down on the Corner
Bad Moon Rising
I Heard it Through the Grapevine

Side 2:

The Midnight Special
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Born on the Bayou
Susie Q

Q8 track listing:

Program 1:

Bad Moon Rising
The Midnight Special
Born on the Bayou
Susie Q

Program 2:

Proud Mary
Down on the Corner
I Heard it Through the Grapevine
Have You Ever Seen the Rain

ED :)

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
Very conservative mixing considering most of these come from 16 track. (From what I've read, the boys used to record the basic tracks at Cosmo's Factory onto 8-track, then John would take that tape to a 16 track studio, dub the 8 onto a 16 and proceed to do his overdubs. That was until somebody pointed out to him that he's losing a tape generation in the dubbing process and why not just get 16-track equipment at the factory? That's why some of the early CCR tracks have that muddy, sort of "CCR" sound.)

Anyway, very conservative mixing I can only assume was to keep distortion down on the CD-4 side of things but to also blend the 8 and 16 track songs seamlessly.
I wish more Quad CCR had come, mixed more aggressively.

Pretty mediocre for such a high profile title.

EMB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
But as we know, Mr. Fogerty was very quirky about his mixing approach. While most of the material in the CCR catalog has fairly wide and decent stereo seperation, it's curious that *certain* single sides--"Proud Mary," "Bad Moon Rising," "Lodi" and "Sweet Hitchhiker"--were in a dreadful 'nearly mono' mode, for no logical reason. One wonders why he just didn't mix them in more normal fashion for the albums, while mixing to mono for the Fantasy 45's, all of which through 1972 were released in mono anyway (albeit as fold downs of the stereo mixes, apparently). By the time of WILLY & THE POORBOYS (late '69) that problem was more or less gone, but on the first three Creedence albums, the mix/separation disparities are obvious, and frankly, absurd: wide separation one one track, then the next has almost none or a much tighter mix. Fogerty was apparently working with limited if any actual supervision, which is great for artistic freedom but frustrating for anyone wanting a more balanced sound throughout an album that was not a compilation, where you might expect such disparities.

ED :)

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
That’s too bad that there is nothing exciting going on here in the quad mix of the big CCR golden hits.

The CD-4 LP plays back so nicely in stereo with many differences in compared to the standard album mixes. All kinds of parts jumping out at you, very 3D and very hi-fi sq. I got someone’s 16/44.1 LP drop, but it sounds so nice I should do my own drop at 24/96 now that I trust ClickRepair to do some cleaning up w/o doing too much damage in the process.

Anyway this is said to be a fairly rare CD-4. It is quite a great set of songs start to finish. Recommended listening just for the tunes and a special sounding stereo ride.

Last edited:

lennon fan

Reaction score
I have the Q8 of this and find it rather satisfying and discrete. Track list sucks but it is what it is. 9

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I have the Q8 of this and find it rather satisfying and discrete. Track list sucks but it is what it is. 9
Other feel the mix is unconvincing but track list is fine. You like the mix but not the tracks.

It does contain the biggest hits from first half of career, and tosses in a couple of FM radio played deep tracks.

I fine the program satisfying I’d stereo, a 3D soundstage with a hot track list and running order.

PS I know I’m repeating myself, but oh well.

lennon fan

Reaction score
Other feel the mix is unconvincing but track list is fine. You like the mix but not the tracks.

It does contain the biggest hits from first half of career, and tosses in a couple of FM radio played deep tracks.

I fine the program satisfying I’d stereo, a 3D soundstage with a hot track list and running order.

...hence the term 'different strokes';)
I'm not the biggest CCR fan and I can't stand Grapevine done by anyone on this planet, but I would have used that real estate for more of their singles or originals.
I also wonder if this is one of those rare quads that got more than 1 mix release, I have a couple, but there's nothing wrong with the quad mix on this IMO.

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score

First half of career? It contains at least one track from each of their first six albums and they only released seven.

I did always find it odd that they spent 11 minutes of this album on one “deep cut” from Cosmo’s Factory instead of what could have been any four of the several hit singles from that album.

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
For those with interest in seeing these CCR tracks reissued with a modern surround mix, here's a look at "Have You Ever Seen the Rain". First, from the Q8 discrete 1970's Fantasy mix, and then from the 2012 Concord 5.1 mix created for the Mercedes Benz demo DVD.

For the 5.1, the rears are basically echo, the center is JF's vocal with bass (!!), the fronts are the guitars, drums and JF.

I attached an MP3 of a few seconds of the center channel under the screen caps below

Attachments

Last edited:

lennon fan

Reaction score
For those with interest in seeing these CCR tracks reissued with a modern surround mix, here's a look at "Have You Ever Seen the Rain". First, from the Q8 discrete 1970's Fantasy mix, and then from the 2012 Concord 5.1 mix created for the Mercedes Benz demo DVD.

For the 5.1, the rears are basically echo, the center is JF's vocal with bass (!!), the fronts are the guitars, drums and JF.

I attached an MP3 of a few seconds of the center channel under the screen caps below

View attachment 40267

View attachment 40268
I find that 5.1 graph uuugggggggggggggllllllllyyyyy;(

now I realize I'm a special case....huge fronts w/32" woofers and I'm a quad guy, nice surround 5 ways...but...my center channel is a very regular bookshelf speaker that sounds absolutely amazing w/voice frequencies but deep bass? no. exclusive bass in the center channel of a mix? I want to strangle.

Last edited:

JonUrban

Administrator
Staff member
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I find that 5.1 graph uuugggggggggggggllllllllyyyyy;(

now I realize I'm a special case....huge fronts w/32" woofers and I'm a quad guy, nice surround 5 ways...but...my center channel is a very regular bookshelf speaker that sounds absolutely amazing w/voice frequencies but deep bass? no. exclusive bass in the center channel of a mix? I want to strangle.
Yeah, it's really a 3.1 mix. I too don't like it when the mixing folks but the bass or bass guitar in the center speaker. It just doesn't seem right. Sounds odd for sure.

lennon fan

Reaction score
Yeah, it's really a 3.1 mix. I too don't like it when the mixing folks but the bass or bass guitar in the center speaker. It just doesn't seem right. Sounds odd for sure.
I totally agree and would add I don't like the vocal completely exclusively in the center either, it should be at least spread across the fronts with perhaps diminished volume, but it needs to be there otherwise it sounds too isolated IMO and while that's fine for many instruments in the field, the vocal should be pronounced.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
I on the otherhand like Vocals in dead center speaker, but just a bit of vocal reverb in L and R to spread out and not mixed dry in L and R. Steven Wilson does it the way I like it. Glad for that.

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Reaction score
First half of career? It contains at least one track from each of their first six albums and they only released seven.

I did always find it odd that they spent 11 minutes of this album on one “deep cut” from Cosmo’s Factory instead of what could have been any four of the several hit singles from that album.
That's what I meant first half gets more hits, short changed on Cosmo's which is getting later in the game. Why the hell would they do that you ask? So that they could do a very strong More Credence Gold follow LP - up I innocently reply. It makes such perfect sense to me. And including Born on a Bayou makes the two albums of Gold as or more interesting than Chronicle in a way.

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
That's what I meant first half gets more hits, short changed on Cosmo's which is getting later in the game. Why the hell would they do that you ask? So that they could do a very strong More Credence Gold follow LP - up I innocently reply. It makes such perfect sense to me. And including Born on a Bayou makes the two albums of Gold as or more interesting than Chronicle in a way.
Well, I don’t see any particular emphasis on “early” tracks—4 from the first 3 albums, 4 from the next 3 — and to go out of their way to save the singles for the 2nd compilation? For what purpose? Just seems random to me. But maybe you’re right.

But yes. “Chronicle” suffers by not having “Bayou”, but I guess maybe they wanted to save it for “Chronicle vol 2? :).

Last edited:

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Probably one of the worst CD-4 quad (mixes?) I ever heard .

Only two tracks seemed to have some sort of front to back .....Suzie Q and Grapevine.

My quadradisc lp was a good pressing btw .
Ended up selling it off after running it through an SQ encoder to tape. My Fosgate Tate SQ decoder makes it sound a bit better.

Did not have a problem with the limited song selection , but really wished they would have made more studio albums available in quad.....oh well.