Quad Resurrected: Your 10 Fave Quad titles, Reissued/Remixed on Modern Multi

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Another argument starter from the SQueaky wheel. What are your 10 favorite Quad titles, reissued on digital? The title could be a new mix or old, but this should be your preferred version. Later, in a separate post, you can list list your 10 favorite digital multi titles that were not previously released in Quad. Have fun, Linda. Here's mine:

1- Chicago Transit Authority DTS (Quadio) "Only the beginning of what I want to feel forever." My vote for the best song EVER! I still don't know what time it is, nor do I care. It's the Quad mix, on DVD-V with a square Quadradisc (CD-4) logo. Where once was SQ & Q8, there is Quasi-Quadradisc. I've always loved this mix. It highlights the horns well and sounds very "discrete," even in SQ. Questions 67 & 68, I'm a Man. "We've all spent years preparin,' before this group was born." Truly, you did!

2- Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd DVD-A Perhaps this would become my #1 when we get Immersion. I like the 5.1 mix, but there is a special charm about the Parsons mix. Oscillations swirling around you. There was a guy I worked with that had black lights and quad in his bedroom... This a great demo album. Crank up those JBL's. Those damn clocks. The essence of an era. Nuff said.

3- Chicago II DVD-A First time this one didn't sound overly compressed and muddy. Even the SQ sounds a bit that way. I've owned five copies of this. Fantastic material. I've fallen in love with this one now more than ever. Color My World, 25 or 6 to 4, Wake Up Sunshine, Fancy Colours. Too bad the DVD-A of Chicago X was never released. Chicago 16 would be a great surround candidate.

4- Band on the Run-Paul McCartney & Wings DTS When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Arguably his magnum opus, Paul had tapes stolen and the band quit. Great recipe for a successful album. I'm used to this on Q8 and wonder how SQ would have decoded. Ths Quad mix is a joy. Synthesizer runs in the rears. Just a nice discrete Quad mix. Jet, 1985, Bluebird. It was as close to Quad Beatles as we got back then. Let me roll it to you.

5- Abraxas-Santana DTS CD The old Quad mix. This is the way I'm used to hearing it. Have owned 12 copies of this, spent the most time with the Q8. There is some dizzy panning on this one, but I like it. It was in the first batch of SQ's. Oye Como Va, Black Magic Woman, Samba Pa Ti, all classics. I like Santana III better, but have had to settle for SQ/Q8 of that.

6- Tapestry-Carole King SACD single layer This is not your Mother's Tapestry. Instead of being painfully reverberant like the Q8, this one is in real surround. Stereo was intimate, "Quad lite" was too cavernous, the 5.1 is just right. Perhaps those lamented anomalies were because her previous two (the City and Writer) were stiffs and didn't sell. Perhaps Lou Adler didn't want to spend money on a fix.

7- Fly Like an Eagle-Steve Miller Band DTS Some gimmicky Quad effects here and there. Got the Q8 the first day it was out and popped it in the Q8 in the '76 Regal. Slippin, slippin, slippin down the road with my girlfriend Sue. We fantasized about takin' the money and running. Stylin'! Nice mix, catchy tunes. Steve & co laid this down at his home studio when he was laid up from a 'cycle accident.

8- Ship Ahoy-O' Jays SACD single layer A bass run that moves to each speaker. Money, the root of all evil. Human cargo years before Roots on ABC. Three guys with pipes. That Philly soul thing. A great SQ/Q8 becomes a great 5.1 SACD. This is what it's about.

9- To Our Children's Children's Children. Q8/QR title on SACD hybrid. Includes a CD of bonus tracks. There should be more releases with a surround mix and CD bonus tracks. The state of the music business makes me feel "left without a hope of coming home."

10- Mysterious Traveller-Weather Report SACD single layer Airto was gone, Jaco hadn't arrived. Miroslav's last album with them. This percolates. I dig the mix, it sounds very discrete. Never heard this in SQ, only Q8 & SACD. Jazz fusion is what I most revered in the early/mid '70's.

This is my 200th post in the two months I've been on QQ. I love it here. Most of you are as crazy as I am! The aforementioned 10 best modern multi releases will be my 300th post. Stay tuned, Quadropheliacs.

Linda

Well, let me see...top ten reissues? Well, the Moodies' deluxe packages are out for me, the sound was futzed with too much, unlike the more natural dynamics of the original mixes (which these ALMOST are, but not quite). Still, if the approach was wrong, the idea was sound, still is.

Here are ten, but in no order:

Weather Report, Mysterious Traveller: Always dug this one, stereo or quad, but what a fine choice for a reissue! Although there are those who prefer either the earlier WR or the later one, I thought they finally got together here, in an atmospheric journey that owed a lot to Miles while at the same time pushing the boundaries of the sound begun with IN A SILENT WAY and (perfected with?) BITCHES BREW.

Pink Floyd: DSOTM. As an album, I'm more a fan of WISH YOU WERE HERE, but no denying that Parsons' mix, if imperfect, was nonetheless very elaborate and took advantage of quad potential.

Santana Abraxas: Great quad, and a good DTS transfer (unlike BOTR, which originally had the first song's intro clipped, AND a tad too much NR for my taste, though it's not excessively employed). Nice demo disc.

Moody Blues, Seventh Sojourn: Actually pretty solid, and to my ears, not much if any NR used on what always sounded like a very well done recording in any mix. "Isn't Life Strange" is very impressive.

Al Green, Greatest Hits: New mixes, some aspects to quibble about, but still a very strong entry, and with many more tracks than the original Q8 (if not all the tracks that were on the Q8, one of the quibbles).

Ohio Players, Honey: for "Love Rollercoaster" alone, this one is lotsa fun.

Allman Brothers Band, Eat A Peach. Unedited "Mountain Jam" and more.

PM & Wings, BOTR. Corrected edition, natch. "Jet" is a treat, but "Nineteen Hundred And Eighty Five" brings the roof down.

Carole King, Tapesty: Everything wrong about the Q8 is right here, and what's fun is hearing the nuances and exceptional clarity of the recording.

Deep Purple, Machine Head (SACD): Some decent, some mediocre material, all of it benefiting from the original quad mix.

ED :)

Stay tuned for my upcoming "Miles and Protegees" in Quad/Surround thread. Still preparing that one.

We had 5 titles in common, Ed. Great minds think alike. On both Q8 and DTS-CD, Love Rollercoater IS worth the price of admission! So is Al Greens' Let's Stay Together.

Linda
Why some people break up and turn around and make up, I just can't see.

Another quibble about Al's DVD-A is that it uses the 45/Lp length "Let's Stay Together" rather than the extended version used for the original Greatest Hits Q8 and stereo Lp/tape editions. But then I have to remind myself that while the later reissue may look like the old album, new content was added, a few things deleted for the digital age.

ED :)

Back