• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

Dolby Atmos Music on Blu-ray

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
Well, I don't want anything emanating from the ceiling (except in the rare cases where the artist/composer so specifies).
5 out of 6 albums I just reviewed had Atmos and/or Auro-3D intended from inception. An argument could be made for the 6th (Abbey Road), since the surviving members and estates must have signed off.

Kal Rubinson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
5 out of 6 albums I just reviewed had Atmos and/or Auro-3D intended from inception.
That is rare in classical music.

An argument could be made for the 6th (Abbey Road), since the surviving members and estates must have signed off.
Signing off (especially after such a long interval since the original production) does not carry quite as much weight as contemporaneous intent. I have speculated that, had these technologies been available to them at the time, the artists would have made more and more inventive use of them than did the producers of the 50th Anniversary Edition.

edisonbaggins

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Reaction score
That is rare in classical music.

Signing off (especially after such a long interval since the original production) does not carry quite as much weight as contemporaneous intent. I have speculated that, had these technologies been available to them at the time, the artists would have made more and more inventive use of them than did the producers of the 50th Anniversary Edition.
I'm mostly responding to you for the benefit of others. 2L is a great example of a label that does orchestral immersive recordings from inception, from mic placement onward.
It's cool that you have little to no interest. Just not sure why you feel the need to keep reminding us of that.

Kal Rubinson

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Reaction score
I'm mostly responding to you for the benefit of others. 2L is a great example of a label that does orchestral immersive recordings from inception, from mic placement onward.
I am not sure what you are responding to but I do like many of 2L's recordings and, in particular, I have been greatly impressed with some of his BluRay "immersive" recordings of music written and conceived by the composer to incorporate spatial elements including height. My point is that it is not what the recordist decides to do but what the creative artist specifies. In classical music, this is the composer. In other genres, it may be the composer/performer.

And I will add that I have greatly appreciated immersive classical recordings in which the height information conveys only ambience information (e.g., the BluRay Karajan/BPO Beethoven set from the '70s). This contributes greatly to the perception of actual performance space.

It's cool that you have little to no interest. Just not sure why you feel the need to keep reminding us of that.
So, I do have a great interest but it is not indiscriminate.

andi-999

Reaction score
I guess when the industry has started mixing a live concert of an Austrian Pop/Rock band in ATMOS and presenting this fact so prominently on the cover - then ATMOS has arrived at the music mainstream... ;)
This was a Black Friday purchase and I haven't checked the mix yet, I will report later.

eav.jpg