Dvd Audio Extractor Question or 2?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snoodster, have you realized that by doing screen captures of your own QQ posts and then posting them here, you increase the "Snood Banana Fest" factor by at least 56.2%.

That's a wholelotta naners! o_O

If I may make a suggestion concerning DVD-Audio Extractor, I've bought the licence for it years ago and I've never regretted it. I truly think it's worth investing into.

Last edited:
Thanks for you input Snood and Simon. Here is where I am at.

On the first page, you can see that Extractor is seeing the core DTS sampling rate of 48kHz even though the Benefit album is 96kHz:

DVDAE-1.png

On the second page, it allows a sample rate selection of "Same as input." But the input on page one shows 48kHz:

DVDAE-2.png

Again on the second page, 96kHz is shown as an option, but is it real or does it actually revert to 48kHz in the generated file?:
[EDIT 10/19/18: LOOKING FURTHER DOWN THIS THREAD YOU WILL SEE THAT OTHERS AND I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THE GENERATED FILE IS INDEED 96KHz. The Extractor does not revert back to 48kHz. :):):)]

DVDAE-3.png

The fourth and final page shows a "Direct Stream Demux" option which yields the same DTS audio stream as on the disc. But again, is the Extractor actually seeing 96kHz or only the core DTS sampling rate of 48kHz as shown on page 1? [EDIT 10/19/18: THE OPPO 205 USB PORT DID NOT SEE THE *.dts FILE. :eek: SO I AM STICKING WITH FLAC OR WAV.]

DVDAE-4.png

Last edited:

On the first page, you can see that Extractor is seeing the core DTS sampling rate of 48kHz even though the Benefit album is 96kHz:

View attachment 36099

On the second page, it allows a sample rate selection of "Same as input." But the input on page one shows 48kHz:

View attachment 36100

Again on the second page, 96kHz is shown as an option, but is it real or does it actually revert to 48kHz in the generated file?:

View attachment 36101

The fourth and final page shows a "Direct Stream Demux" option which yields the same DTS audio stream as on the disc. But again, is the Extractor actually seeing 96kHz or only the core DTS sampling rate of 48kHz as shown on page 1?

View attachment 36102

That is really awesome, thank you, when I get home I'm going to check my settings. I am successful in all my rips, about 65 since last weekend with more to go, but you explain so well with the screen shots.

View attachment 36099

View attachment 36100

View attachment 36101

The fourth and final page shows a "Direct Stream Demux" option which yields the same DTS audio stream as on the disc. But again, is the Extractor actually seeing 96kHz or only the core DTS sampling rate of 48kHz as shown on page 1?

View attachment 36102

View attachment 36099

View attachment 36100

View attachment 36101

View attachment 36102

I do everything exactly as you have shown except I choose flac as my output; when I play the output flac, it IS at 96kHz (try it!)

Yeah what shkerbeck said....but do know u are having problems with fast forward with flac files on the Oppo 205..

Perhaps someone can jump in that has a 205 connected :rolleyes:....and double check that for ya. Would think it should....

Are you using a Usb stick or external HD?

Yeah what shkerbeck said....but do know u are having problems with fast forward with flac files on the Oppo 205..

Perhaps someone can jump in that has a 205 connected :rolleyes:....and double check that for ya. Would think it should....

Are you using a Usb stick or external HD?

For this test it is a USB stick. Now here's something interesting...I was just playing around again and all of a sudden the Oppo 205 can fast forward the FLAC files. Also, the receiver is now playing the FLAC files through S/PDIF. WTF??? When in doubt....reboot!!!

Awesome so Def do flac on the audio DVD and hopefully should come up 96khz some dad's are finicky tho....and 205 ff probably is poof so let us know about the dvdae and setting sample and kHz to our setup

Hiya,

I love DVDAE and this is great info! Just wondered about something a bit random - does anyone know what the code is so that your files are output as 01 - Song Title, 02 Song Title etc..?

By default DVDAE has %TITLE% - %CHAPTER% but all that did was put TITLE - in front of the the song name for the file. I found this link and it says....

1. (Optional) Select the option Save each chapter into an individual file (
    2-6d19a01ee9eacdfcbc526b3944fa9940.gif
    ). Otherwise everything will be saved into a single output file.
    If you enabled this option, you could enter a name format you want to use (
    3-f85e4dddf003970b319f5a95057f9691.gif
    ). Name format must contain at least one of %CHAPTER% and %INDEX%. See user manual for all the supported macros.

I could never find the user manual with a list of supported macros? At the moment I have %CHAPTER% (which gives me the song name) and have to put the track number in manually.

DVDAE %.jpg

Hope that makes some sense?! No biggy just would be cool if the filenames had 01, 02, 03 etc automatically...:cool:

Hiya,

I love DVDAE and this is great info! Just wondered about something a bit random - does anyone know what the code is so that your files are output as 01 - Song Title, 02 Song Title etc..?

By default DVDAE has %TITLE% - %CHAPTER% but all that did was put TITLE - in front of the the song name for the file. I found this link and it says....

). Name format must contain at least one of %CHAPTER% and %INDEX%. See user manual for all the supported macros.

I could never find the user manual with a list of supported macros? At the moment I have %CHAPTER% (which gives me the song name) and have to put the track number in manually.

View attachment 36104

Hope that makes some sense?! No biggy just would be cool if the filenames had 01, 02, 03 etc automatically...:cool:

Pretty sure mine come our numbered...will check settings when get home

Fun fact....Whole Lotta Nanners was the original name of the song .....you guessed it...Whole Lotta Love....the original name was penned after noticing Jimmy Page's penchant for eating a whole Lotta bananas.

:rocks:rocks

And 'Yesterday' was originally Scrambled Eggs. Hungry work being a musician :cool:

Hiya,

Hello,

I'm using %TITLE% - %INDEX% - %CHAPTER% and I'm pretty sure the index is 01, 02, ...
1539969546097.png

Yeah, did a quick test:

1539969650496.png

View attachment 36099
Just a FYI in case it helps, above is showing the audio that DVDAE was able to find on the disc:
- (lossless) 96kHz 24bit 2 channel (stereo)
- (lossy) dts surround
- (lossy) ac3 / dolby surround.

Above agrees with I see is listed for the dvd as shown on the back of the package, seen here. Since it is a DVD and not a DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray, the only possible surround options for DTS are lossy: either 'normal' 48kHz or 96kHz (the latter lossy compresses more in the lower frequencies since the bit rate is the same as for 48kHz DTS) - this particular disc appears to only have the 48kHz DTS.

View attachment 36100

[EDIT 10/19/18: LOOKING FURTHER DOWN THIS THREAD YOU WILL SEE THAT OTHERS AND I HAVE CONFIRMED THAT THE GENERATED FILE IS INDEED 96KHz. The Extractor does not revert back to 48kHz. :):):)]

View attachment 36101
Actually above shows the available 'output' options that will be used for saving the extracted file. Choosing 96000 Hz for a 48000 Hz source means you are telling DVDAE to 'upmix' something that is 48kHz to be 96kHz (this results in saving the same information in twice the space, which has no benefit:) in my opinion).

I don't have this disc (yet) but given what I see in your screenshots I personally would choose DTS 48kHz in the first screen, 'Same as input' on the 2nd screen, and in the 3rd screen I use 'FLAC' as my output format since almost everything can play that format.

Last edited:
Just a FYI in case it helps, above is showing the audio that DVDAE was able to find on the disc:
- (lossless) 96kHz 24bit 2 channel (stereo)
- (lossy) dts surround
- (lossy) ac3 / dolby surround.

Above agrees with I see is listed for the dvd as shown on the back of the package, seen here. Since it is a DVD and not a DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray, the only surround options for DTS are lossy: either 'normal' 48kHz or 96kHz (the latter lossy compresses more in the lower frequencies since the bit rate is the same as for 48kHz DTS).

Actually above shows the available 'output' options that will be used for saving the extracted file. Choosing 96000 Hz for a 48000 Hz source means you are telling DVDAE to 'upmix' something that is 48kHz to be 96kHz (this results in saving the same information in twice the space, which has no benefit:) in my opinion).

I don't have this disc (yet) but given what I see in your screenshots I personally would choose DTS 48kHz in the first screen, 'Same as input' on the 2nd screen, and in the 3rd screen I use 'FLAC' as my output format since almost everything can play that format.

I agree with you totally, and I did specify the sample rate in ripping this DVD as "Same as input" rather than 96kHz as I too was concerned about stuffing the file with unusable information. With using "Same as input," the FLAC files still read as 96kHz via S/PDIF according to the receiver display.

S/PDIF introduces another variable. On a computer, the audio driver can be set to output via S/PDIF at a specific kHz (converting to it if different), or the software involved in the communication with the receiver can do so also. If you have (or get) something like the "MediaInfo" tool, you can right click the file, select MediaInfo and it will report exactly what the kHz in the flac file is.

Listening now to Bill Withers, Just As I am Dual Disc, 5.1 48Khz, ripped via DVDAE and is playing via JRiver through my rig, HDMI output from NUC to reciever at 48Khz. So it seems that is successful, disc says 48Khz, plays at 48Khz, sounds good, right?

All my past week files have been ripped to ogg, what does that mean?, good or bad, they all play in 5.1.

Just ripped Stormbringer in FLAC and first song plays fast and vocals sound like Alvin & Chipmunks, next tracks are OK, I seem to be going in the wrong direction, need help.

S/PDIF introduces another variable. On a computer, the audio driver can be set to output via S/PDIF at a specific kHz (converting to it if different), or the software involved in the communication with the receiver can do so also. If you have (or get) something like the "MediaInfo" tool, you can right click the file, select MediaInfo and it will report exactly what the kHz in the flac file is.

Thanks, Bill. Here is what MediaInfo reported for one of the Benefit tracks...clearly successfully ripped to 96/24 FLAC as shown in the lower box under "Streams":

MediaInfo.png

Audiomuxer is better. Never choose ac3 over dts. Dts cd's don't sound near as good as 24 bit / 48khz dts dvd (or 24/96 dts). We are only talking about music dvd's correct? Not dvd-audio. Hard drives are cheap, store your tunes in the origional format, don't compress.

Well I switched gears, and now ripping in FLAC instead of ogg. I did some reading and my biggest fear is that I spent a week ripping DVD-A's 5.1 in ogg but it seems like it is OK, still remains lossless, albeit the file size (bitrate) on ogg is in the 100's and the FLAC file size is in the 1000's. In hindsite I wish I had ripped all in FLAC and the tought of ripping them all over again makes me sick, about 70 DVD-A's but the drop down bar started at ogg and I never really paid attention. The good news as I am very successful with the ripping and tagging, so far I only have 5 that I couldn't rip for various reasons.
Please tell me that ogg is not real bad.

Back