HFPA Selling England by the Pound Blu-Ray

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knifeman

400 Club - QQ All-Star
I haven't found any related thread to this title on the forum (surprising, but maybe I just couldn't find it). Anyway, the disc immediately defaults to stereo and begins playing without displaying the menu and giving the chance to select the audio format. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I saw some info on a Genesis site stating that the entire Genesis catalog was to be released in the HFPA format in 2014. Evidently that hasn't happened. Any info on this anybody?

I haven't found any related thread to this title on the forum (surprising, but maybe I just couldn't find it). Anyway, the disc immediately defaults to stereo and begins playing without displaying the menu and giving the chance to select the audio format. Anyone have any experience with this? Also, I saw some info on a Genesis site stating that the entire Genesis catalog was to be released in the HFPA format in 2014. Evidently that hasn't happened. Any info on this anybody?

I'm guessing it goes to 2.0 PCM because it's the first audio option on the menu list..the 2 surround modes are number 3 and 4 on the audio list.. it does this on my Oppo 103D as well..I'm assuming you are trying to avoid using a monitor(tv) to navigate the menu....that's one thing I like about the SACD format...you don't have to mess around with a monitor...

Various forums had discussions about this topic on Dec 2013 and then it just died...the discs never surfaced...check this out

MoFi is famous for this...talking about a release that might never see the light of day...they do it all the time..

The order of the audio formats is:
1. 2.0 lpcm (default)
2. 2.0 dts-hd ma
3. 5.1 lpcm
4. 5.1 dts-hd ma

When the 2.0 starts you can press (twice on the oppo 105) the Audio button on your remote and the player will advance to the next audio format.

Of course if you have video out hooked up then you can select the format on screen.

The order of the audio formats is:
1. 2.0 lpcm (default)
2. 2.0 dts-hd ma
3. 5.1 lpcm
4. 5.1 dts-hd ma

When the 2.0 starts you can press (twice on the oppo 105) the Audio button on your remote and the player will advance to the next audio format.

Of course if you have video out hooked up then you can select the format on screen.

Yep...that's the nice thing about the Oppo...some of the discs in my rotation that I play a lot I can remember the number of spots to move to get the mix I want....I still like the SACD method better:)

See, this is why HFPA has been an absolute joke so far…no set standards on how discs should be authored, what audio options should be used and in what order they should default to on the disc itself.

Let's recap, shall we?

The best HFPA authored disc (IMO) is "Songs from the Big Chair" (authored by our very own Neil Wilkes). It defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1, which is most ideal for legacy users, but it also includes LPCM 5.1 and LPCM stereo, all of which are easily accessible with the colored buttons, and all within the same playlist.
"Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" however has THREE stereo options (LPCM, Dolby TruHD, and DTS-HD MA), yet for surround, only one option is given (DTS-HD MA 5.1) and no colored buttons for easy navigation…Plus the surround mix is in a separate playlist from the stereo mix...
"Selling England" could also be authored better as it automatically begins playing the LPCM stereo mix right as the disc begins, and once again, no colored button options for easy navigation to the proper surround stream (LPCM or DTS-HD MA) but at least stereo and surround mixes are contained in the same playlist.
Beck's "Sea Change" disc is a little bit better in that it lets you select stereo or surround before the disc begins playing and once selecting surround it defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1 which is better for legacy users.
The Bryan Adams disc also lets you select stereo or surround before the disc plays, and it does give you all three lossless options for surround (LPCM, DolbyTruHD, and DTS-HD MA), but it defaults to LPCM 5.1 which is not best for legacy users.
Plus, like "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", both "Sea Change" and "Reckless" separate the stereo and surround mixes into separate playlists. (Again, not good for easy switchability…)

And then there are the slideshow discs… "Quadrophenia" and "Legend".
Both discs default to LPCM stereo upon hitting 'Play' (BAD!) and neither one contain LPCM 5.1 surround, only DolbyTruHD and DTS-HD MA.

And then that's just the Universal HFPA discs! What about all of the other Blu-Ray Audio discs released by other record companies?!

I have always been a big proponent of Blu-Ray as the best way to experience high resolution 5.1 surround (though DVD-A has its benefits too) but there really does need to be some sort of standard set up that ALL record companies and authoring houses abide by.

And now for the release schedule and marketing…
For Universal's HFPA series, their marketing has been absolutely ATROCIOUS!
WE as a surround forum have been doing their marketing work for them!
There have not been hardly ANY updates on upcoming and currently available discs on Universal's HFPA Facebook page!

And speaking directly about the Genesis discs, there have been a lot of delays regarding other Genesis HFPA titles announced for release but it's tough to say if/when these will ever come out. Not really that big of a deal as there are always the SACD and DVD-V discs to enjoy with the exact same mixes.

Sorry if this is such a long-winded answer but I had to get it out of me! :)

For help finding old thread topics please refer to this post:
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-Threads-On-QQ&p=229821&viewfull=1#post229821

...The best HFPA authored disc (IMO) is "Songs from the Big Chair" (authored by our very own Neil Wilkes). It defaults to DTS-HD MA 5.1, which is most ideal for legacy users, but it also includes LPCM 5.1 and LPCM stereo, all of which are easily accessible with the colored buttons...
That would seem like the worst possible default since earlier players don't have HD MA and will play the disk in lossy dts instead. I'd rather not have a disk default to anything.

That would seem like the worst possible default since earlier players don't have HD MA and will play the disk in lossy dts instead. I'd rather not have a disk default to anything.

Well it has to default to something when you press play!
And plus if it defaults to LPCM 5.1 then those without the right cables, players, or receivers will either here some kind of stereo down mix or nothing...

is there any difference between this BD-A and SACD?

Main difference is that all of the great video bonus features on the DVD-V are not included, but the mix and mastering are exactly the same from SACD to Blu-Ray. Hope that helps! :)

thank rtbluray. i don't care about video at all.
in fact never watched DVDs which came with SACDs.

See, this is why HFPA has been an absolute joke so far…no set standards on how discs should be authored, what audio options should be used and in what order they should default to on the disc itself.

The joke just got funnier, or sadder. Check out the track listing on this page from Universal's new online $tore-

https://store.universalmusic.com/ud...ngland-by-the-Pound-Blu-Ray-Audio/36L203SW000

All the pages I glanced at had the same HFPA blurb rather than anything specific to the particular album, no mention of the formats included thereon, and prices higher than any other online source. Universal for the win.

Back