BluRay Music Video Poll Hackett, Steve - SELLING ENGLAND BY THE POUND & SPECTRAL MORNINGS: LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH [Blu-Ray]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BD of Steve Hackett - Selling England by the Pound and Spectral Mornings Live

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this 2020 Blu-Ray release from Genesis guitarist Steve Hackett entitled "Selling England by the Pound & Spectral Mornings: Live at Hammersmith".
The first half of the show features highlights from Steve's 1979 solo album "Spectral Mornings" along with select tracks from his latest solo album "At the Edge of Light" while the second half of the show includes a full performance of the 1973 Genesis album "Selling England by the Pound" and a special encore of tracks from "A Trick of the Tail".

(y) :) (n)

71D9A%2Ba2HmL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

71CnJkUIATL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

81aSCiQQjKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81CgVik8VnL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81U3Jb5DOvL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

For me, this has to be one of the best surround mixes out there for a live show.
I admit I am biased in my opinion as I have always enjoyed the albums, Selling England By The Pound by Genesis and Spectral Mornings by Steve Hackett.
Steve is in his element as he cruises with ease through the entire Genesis album ably supported by a terrific band.
So to have all of this fantastic show, brilliantly performed and expertly played , is maybe enough for some folk.
But wait ....there is an icing on the cake.
Our surround sound God and hero Steve Wilson, was asked to use his talents to mix the 5.1 element and I was left opened mouthed in utter joy, when I heard the results of his renowned skills.
To sit throughout the entire show with my head nodding along and my voice trying to sing along with Nad, is no mean feat. Sorry Nad if my crackly voice couldnt match your fantastic singing.
It will come as no surprise to my fellow QQ'rs, that my vote of 10 is awarded to this fabulous release.

Steve Hackett’s many live releases never disappoint but this is on a different level sonically with a surround mix that finally does the content justice.

Getting Steven Wilson on board was an excellent choice, as he has already done 5.1 mixes on Mr Hacketts back catalogue including Spectral Mornings which is one of the featured albums performed on this release.

it’s a very well rounded mix, plenty of use of the surrounds and perfect use of the subwoofer for the regular bass pedal sounds - something which has often been overpowering in previous live albums in these Genesis Revisited releases. Now it is powerful and clear rather than being too ‘boomy’.

Highly recommended and incredible value too at £15 for 2 CDs and the Blu Ray (Amazon UK).

Last edited:
Well I broke with concert protocol and jumped first to the Selling England portion. What a treat! This is my favorite Genesis LP and I found the performance to be just about perfect. Overall it’s quite faithful to the original with a few instrumentation alterations to maximize the talents of this killer band, plus an effective extended jam on I Know What I Like. The secret weapon is Nad Sylvan on vocals. Uncannily similar to Gabriel’s voice with impressive control of the tricky transitions to falsetto. I was unfamiliar with him. I haven’t bought any recent Hackett releases, nor was he with him for the two Hackett shows I’ve attended. He was brilliant, a total joy. And then there’s Mr. Hackett. His playing is beautiful throughout. I am grateful for his ongoing stewardship of the early Genesis catalogue.

The sound quality and surround mix are superb. I’d be hard pressed to think of a live show of equal sonic quality. The Selling England portion alone merits a 10 from me but we also get a healthy amount from Hackett’s excellent solo LP, Spectral Mornings. This is icing on the cake.

Finally a good surround 5.1 mixes of a Hackett concert. I will not vote because I only have the DVD which is only Dolby 5.1 surround and not DTS.

This is fantastic, both in terms of musical content and in terms of the performances. Any kid into music who wants to start playing an instrument but is not sure which instrument to choose, should watch a couple of tracks of this show.

Last but not least, the surround mix is the best you’ll find anywhere (live or studio). I think Steven Wilson started this remixing business of his (at least partly) to introduce new listeners to the music he grew up with and loved. I never listened to Genesis or Steve Hackett but here I am, about fourtyseven years late to the party, voting 10 for this one. Happy to have been introduced to this music through surround sound, thank you Steven :)

This is fantastic, both in terms of musical content and in terms of the performances. Any kid into music who wants to start playing an instrument but is not sure which instrument to choose, should watch a couple of tracks of this show.

Last but not least, the surround mix is the best you’ll find anywhere (live or studio). I think Steven Wilson started this remixing business of his (at least partly) to introduce new listeners to the music he grew up with and loved. I never listened to Genesis or Steve Hackett but here I am, about fourtyseven years late to the party, voting 10 for this one. Happy to have been introduced to this music through surround sound, thank you Steven :)
Get TRICK OF THE T... I think it's their BEST album....but get the DVD-A....Its awesome!!! :love: :QQlove:51QQ

Any thoughts on why a small number (from my observation) of listeners are having bass issues with this? Bass sounds fine across multiple systems for me, but some are claiming an overabundance of bass.

I thought the bass output was a little weak,usually I'm satisfied with my bass output,but I had to lift it a little on this one.

Normally, I would NEVER, ever vote after listening to only 25% of a title. But holy shit. This is absolutely spectacular! Just a powerful, audio feast. Whoa.....
Those who have commented on bass. OK, I had to turn down my sub a couple notches. It was thumping. But, after doing so, it just sounded amazing. Love, love, love it.

Buy this!

A CLASS ACT ....ALL THE WAY! Rarely do I watch 2+ hour concerts all the way through but this was certainly the exception. Every instrument came through with astounding clarity and thanks to a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix, Hammersmith was awash in 1970's Genesis nostaglia as the band respectfully soared through Selling England By The Pound and recent tracks from Hackett's solo albums.

Of course Steve WAS the star but his bandmates deserve equal praise.

IMO, adding this stunning SONY BD~V to your collection is a no brainer....in fact, if you have any love for Hackett and Genesis.....A MUST PURCHASE!

In the interview on the disc, Hackett mentioned his next concert will include the entirety of Genesis' SECONDS OUT and hopefully, when this pandemic subsides, we will be treated to another milestone in Steve Hackett's illustrious career.

A 10!

See the source image

A CLASS ACT ....ALL THE WAY! Rarely do I watch 2+ hour concerts all the way through but this was certainly the exception. Every instrument came through with astounding clarity and thanks to a Steve Wilson 5.1 remix, Hammersmith was awash in 1970's Genesis nostaglia as the band respectfully soared through Selling England By The Pound and recent tracks from Hackett's solo albums.

Of course Steve WAS the star but his bandmates deserve equal praise.

IMO, adding this stunning SONY BD~V to your collection is a no brainer....in fact, if you have any love for Hackett and Genesis.....A MUST PURCHASE!

In the interview on the disc, Hackett mentioned his next concert will include the entirety of Genesis' SECONDS OUT and hopefully, when this pandemic subsides, we will be treated to another milestone in Steve Hackett's illustrious career.

A 10!

See the source image
Ok Ok.....now I MUST GET THIS!!!

I'm more of a fair weather fan. Loved Voyage and half of PDT. Didn't like that whole adult contemporary vocal music stuff after. Picked up the vibe again with a couple of his most recent albums. (Still hitting the skip button with the vocal pieces though.)

Buy this one! It delivers!

The band is just insanely tough! Everyone is put on blast with this material and everyone delivers. The Genesis vocals should have been the deal breaker. This guy sounds like a weird cross between Peter Gabriel and Aurthur Brown and really delivers. Really strong stuff and well played. A few sleepers in the first set (the Spectral Mornings tracks). Dance on a Volcano is hot! And a strange and cool "what if" as though Gabriel was the original singer kind of take on it.

It's a good mix. Better than the usual budget mixes that often accompany video-centric productions. I thought the guitar was low in spots. There's a little bit of an overall freeze dried effect from overall compression. (Again, as often found in sound for video productions.) That's the worst I can say.

Heh. The keyboardist has a little message for you. You'll see. :)

Last edited:
Going with an "8". I ordered this based on the strength of the reviews here, despite being a neophyte when it comes to Gabriel-era Genesis and Hackett’s solo work. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. In terms of content, I definitely prefer the Genesis material to the solo material (though there are some songs I enjoyed in the first half as well). As others have said, Nad Sylvan’s incredible vocals are definitely a highlight.

Steven Wilson’s 5.1 mix is really good. It’s not the most adventurous surround mix I’ve heard of live material, but he’s struck a nice balance between capturing the venue’s atmosphere and breaking with acoustic reality by placing instrumentation in the rear channels. It’s a solid compromise between the ‘in-the-audience’ and ‘on-stage’ perspectives.

There are some sparse moments with very little in the back aside from some light percussion or low-level organ/keyboard, but during the denser sections--depending on the song--the rear channels will fill up elements such as backing vocals, acoustic guitar, keyboard, sax, and tom rolls.
Craig Blundell’s drum solo in “Clocks/The Angel Of Mons” engages all four corners to great effect. On some of the Spectral Mornings songs where there’s two flute players, they’re usually split between front left and rear right. I particularly like when Rob Townshend’s soprano sax pops up in the rears--it’s especially effective when he’s playing in unison with Hackett’s guitar in “After The Ordeal”.

I agree with the comments about there being too much low-end. It seems to come more from the kick drum than the bass guitar to my ears. This is mostly fixable with tone controls, but there aren’t many discs in my collection that require that kind of adjustment. My only other gripe is that Hackett’s electric guitar frequently seems a bit buried in the mix. It’s especially aggravating when the camera zooms in on him (such as when he plays the eerie sound effects at the beginning of “I Know What I Like”) and the guitar sounds like it’s in the background. Curiously enough, I don’t hear the aggressive bass and somewhat-veiled guitar in the stereo version.

Agree with sjcorne about his view on the 5.1 mix. Now I just have to focus on the way the instruments have been mix. It's not uncommon on live release to have instruments burried on the mix.

Back