STEVE HACKETT - FOXTROT AT FIFTY + HACKETT HIGHLIGHTS: LIVE IN BRIGHTON (Blu-Ray out in September!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter

STEVE HACKETT - FOXTROT AT FIFTY + HACKETT HIGHLIGHTS: LIVE IN BRIGHTON​

RELEASE DATE: 15 September 2023

Legendary guitarist Steve Hackett presents his brand new live audio/visual extravaganza, with the release of 'Foxtrot at Fifty + Hackett Highlights: Live in Brighton', set for release on the 15th September 2023.

Filmed & recorded live on his 2022 UK tour, in the coastal city of Brighton, UK, this release documents Steve and his band celebrating the 50th anniversary of the much-loved Genesis album 'Foxtrot'. Played in full, this album features fan favourites including 'Watcher Of The Skies' and 'Supper's Ready'. The show also features a set of Hackett solo material, including 'The Devil's Cathedral' from his latest studio album 'Surrender of Silence', and the powerful 'Ace of Wands'.

Signed copies of all four editions (including the exclusive Transparent Red 4LP set) can be preordered now at:
HACKETTSONGS WEBSTORE

General order links here

Shot by long-time collaborator Paul Green, you can now watch the band perform 'Watcher of the Skies' here.

Mixed by Chris Lord-Alge & mastered by Ted Jensen at Sterling Sound, the album is now available to pre-order on Ltd 2CD+Blu-ray & Ltd 2CD+2DVD, both including bonus behind the scenes interviews, as well as 5.1 surround sound. A Ltd Deluxe 180g 4LP edition will also be available.

Steve Hackett is joined live by Roger King, Rob Townsend, Nad Sylvan, Craig Blundell & Jonas Reingold, as well as on occasion special guest Amanda Lehmann.

The full track-listing is as follows:

1. Intro / Ace Of Wands
2. The Devil's Cathedral
3. Spectral Mornings
4. Every Day
5. A Tower Struck Down
6. Basic Instincts
7. Camino Royale
8. Shadow of the Hierophant
9. Watcher of the Skies
10. Time Table
11. Get 'Em Out by Friday
12. Can Utility and the Coastliners
13. Horizons
14. Supper's Ready
15. Firth of Fifth
16. Los Endos

Foxtrot%20Live%20in%20Brighton%20live%20release.jpg

When i read the names "CHRIS LORD-ALGE" and "TEN JENSEN" on this project i felt very suprised. I mean, it's pretty unnusual for Steve Hackett Studio and Live releases have these names involved.
Chris is know for huge use of dynamic range compression in both hardware and software in his mixes. This was my first "red alert". And Ted Jensen? I can't hear anything from this guy that is not compressed/limited to hell in the last 2 decades or more. So, i assumed it's would be desastrous.

I listened to "STEVE HACKETT - Watcher Of The Skies (Live in Brighton 2022)" video concert on Youtube (video below) and the lack of compression/limiter from the Mastering point of view surprised me, good dynamics. But i checked the FLAC lossless version from the Stream services and it have compression/limiter, don't sound nice. It's really don't fit Genesis music...

1 - OPUS audio extracted from the Youtube video concert:
3MRbMUY.jpg

2 - Flac audio from Stream:
l0T2vsX.jpeg

When i read the names "CHRIS LORD-ALGE" and "TEN JENSEN" on this project i felt very suprised. I mean, it's pretty unnusual for Steve Hackett Studio and Live releases have these names involved.
Chris is know for huge use of dynamic range compression in both hardware and software in his mixes. This was my first "red alert". And Ted Jensen? I can't hear anything from this guy that is not compressed/limited to hell in the last 2 decades or more. So, i assumed it's would be desastrous.

I listened to "STEVE HACKETT - Watcher Of The Skies (Live in Brighton 2022)" video concert on Youtube (video below) and the lack of compression/limiter from the Mastering point of view surprised me, good dynamics. But i checked the FLAC lossless version from the Stream services and it have compression/limiter, don't sound nice. It's really don't fit Genesis music...

1 - OPUS audio extracted from the Youtube video concert:
3MRbMUY.jpg

2 - Flac audio from Stream:
l0T2vsX.jpeg

The You Tube clip you supplied [thanks] of WATCHER OF THE SKIES looks and Sounds wonderful so I have no doubt the finished product will be equally as fine. Steve is a perfectionist and doubtful it will in any way be compressed!

These shows are always beautifully staged and impeccably filmed - a major draw for a live video. Hearing and seeing live Watcher and Supper's Ready recorded with modern technology should be a treat; a no-brainer purchase. God, what an expensive year this is.

They should have kept Roger King did the mixes, he did a good job on the last one. What a shame.
I think the problem here is the Ted Jensen Mastering, not Chris Lord-Alge Mix. The audio from Youtube video seems to be the Mix without Mastering and sounds very nice to me.

Amazon CA doesn't list the Blu-Ray yet only DVD. It's not the first time that you have to wait for the Blu-Ray. It baffles me that people don't have a Blu-Ray player yet. Maybe some are more concerned with the audio quality than the video.

I think the problem here is the Ted Jensen Mastering, not Chris Lord-Alge Mix. The audio from Youtube video seems to be the Mix without Mastering and sounds very nice to me.
A fair amount of love for Jensen over at SHF. Are there notable titles he's done that get criticized? Jensen claims--and his defenders repeat this--that sometimes the client demands a bright and/or compressed mastering, even against his wishes and best advice.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ted-jensen-sterling-sound-apprecation-thread.350228/

A fair amount of love for Jensen over at SHF. Are there notable titles he's done that get criticized? Jensen claims--and his defenders repeat this--that sometimes the client demands a bright and/or compressed mastering, even against his wishes and best advice.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ted-jensen-sterling-sound-apprecation-thread.350228/
IMO, Ted Jensen and Sterling Sound have always enjoyed a stellar reputation in the audiophile community!

LaserCD is now accepting pre~orders for FOXTROT @ 50 ......$16 !!!!!

https://www.lasercd.com/cd/foxtrot-fifty-hackett-highlights-2cdblu-ray-preorder

Last edited:
Mixed by Chris Lord-Alge... ...5.1 surround sound.
I'm not aware of any existing CLA 5.1 mixes. I'm wondering if the 5.1 mix was completed from CLA-processed stems by a different engineer?

For that matter, I'm unaware of any Ted Jensen-mastered 5.1 mixes. Perhaps he didn't master the 5.1, either.

He's credited for half of Switchfoot's Nothing Is Sound 5.1 mix on the DualDisc (Bob Clearmountain did the other half).

View attachment 93910
That's actually not clear. The track listing is for CD stereo, and so the mixing credits pertain to the stereo mixes. There's no explicit credit for 5.1. I wouldn't be surprised if all the 5.1 mixes were by Clearmountain.

Back