King Crimson - Heaven & Earth box set (18CD / 4 BD-A / 2 DVD-A)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still trying to get with a new discovery for me, King Crimson. I went into the polls and there are others who with the release of the 40th Anniversary issues in 5.1, mixed by Steven Wilson, that where unfamiliar with King Crimson and then after hearing the 40th anniversary became fans.
I decided to tiptoe and ordered 3 of the 40th anniversary surrounds, CD/DVD-A in order of popularity on the polls.
1. Larks' Tongues In Aspic
2. Discipline
3. In The Court Of The Crimson King
Hard to figure out all these King Crimson releases but this will be my starting point, doesn't sound like I will be dissapointed.

Still trying to get with a new discovery for me, King Crimson. I went into the polls and there are others who with the release of the 40th Anniversary issues in 5.1, mixed by Steven Wilson, that where unfamiliar with King Crimson and then after hearing the 40th anniversary became fans.
I decided to tiptoe and ordered 3 of the 40th anniversary surrounds, CD/DVD-A in order of popularity on the polls.
2. Discipline
Hard to figure out all these King Crimson releases but this will be my starting point, doesn't sound like I will be dissapointed.

KC is a tough listen for me, though, I own all the titles that Wilson worked on. I do love them all. I mean, it's not really toe tapper music...nor is it music to sing along to......I just find the "oddity" of the genre intriguing. Much of it is so over the top....I can't help but be fascinated with it. I can't imagine being without my King Crimson titles now, though I know most, if not all my friends would think it's all bizarre.

KC is a tough listen for me, though, I own all the titles that Wilson worked on. I do love them all. I mean, it's not really toe tapper music...nor is it music to sing along to......I just find the "oddity" of the genre intriguing. Much of it is so over the top....I can't help but be fascinated with it. I can't imagine being without my King Crimson titles now, though I know most, if not all my friends would think it's all bizarre.
Gene, you where one of the people in the polls that swayed me as never hearing before and then loving the surround.

Marpow, If you dig any of I would strongly suggest Red as your next purchase.
I started listening to Crim in the dark ages between their retirement and reconstitution with Discipline and the way Red (the song) builds; 3, 4, 6, 7, it doesn't matter how many are in the band; it is powerful.

2. Discipline

Those are excellent choices of very different Crimson eras. I would also recommend Red (and Starless and Bible Black, if you love Larks and Red.)

Those are excellent choices of very different Crimson eras. I would also recommend Red (and Starless and Bible Black, if you love Larks and Red.)
Good to know, before I go on a crazy KC spending spree, I'll settle in on the 3 that are coming.
I am so new to King Crimson it is hard for me to understand the huge library they have.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet Marpow, all you have to do is ask; plenty of people here love 'em and would be happy to discuss/explain the catalog.
Keep in mind, Fripp always states "an album was like a love letter, but a gig was like a hot date." (OK, likely a paraphrase but you get it.) Absent Lovers Live In Montreal, Live In Vienna, Vrooom, Vrooom Live (Mexico City/Broadway) are all, to me, great sets.

Good to know, before I go on a crazy KC spending spree, I'll settle in on the 3 that are coming.
I am so new to King Crimson it is hard for me to understand the huge library they have.

Hey Marpow, this was a good previous QQ thread about King Crimson and 5.1, explaining their catalogue to a young chap named Snood:hi .

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...-crimson-5-1-dont-laugh-8p.19333/#post-216642
My comments in that thread I have repeated below. Hope you enjoy the 3 you have coming, all superb music and surround discs.

"One unique thing about Crimson is that each era of the band is like listening to a completely different group, with Fripp there as the common factor. And I love it all :D

In the Court of the Crimson King/Poseidon
completely different from
Lizard
Islands
Larks/Starless & Bible Black/Red
Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair

If you likes your guitar, then my recommendation would be Red first. Probably the most accessible (and heavy) of the early periods. The instrumental last part of that album's closing track Starless has always been my favourite Crimson music.

They are all classics to me, but obviously In the Court of the Crimson King is another good place to start as that's where it all began. Poseidon is similar in parts to Court, and I believe there are many people who prefer it.

Lizard and Islands come into the acquired taste bracket. Probably the most "difficult" 2 of them all. A friend of mine who likes his difficult jazz likes these 2 the best. You probably need to give these 2 time, but they are well worth it when they get you. Lizard especially is so complex and difficult to describe. They have all benefited from 5.1, but probably Lizard most of all. It is an incredible listen in that format.

The best sounding Crimson 5.1, in my opinion, is Larks Tongues. Another essential purchase. Similar in ways to Red, but more difficult and a bit more instrumental.

The Discipline era is nothing like the 70's stuff. Similar if anything to Eno period Talking Heads. Discipline is the best from that period.

So to start, get the surround versions of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, In the Court of the Crimson King and Discipline. Then take a deep breath, turn out the lights and get Lizard!

Don't you love this forum, everyone spending your money for you!!"

Hey Marpow, this was a good previous QQ thread about King Crimson and 5.1, explaining their catalogue to a young chap named Snood:hi .

http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/for...-crimson-5-1-dont-laugh-8p.19333/#post-216642
My comments in that thread I have repeated below. Hope you enjoy the 3 you have coming, all superb music and surround discs.

"One unique thing about Crimson is that each era of the band is like listening to a completely different group, with Fripp there as the common factor. And I love it all :D

In the Court of the Crimson King/Poseidon
Lizard
Islands
Larks/Starless & Bible Black/Red
Discipline/Beat/Three of a Perfect Pair

If you likes your guitar, then my recommendation would be Red first. Probably the most accessible (and heavy) of the early periods. The instrumental last part of that album's closing track Starless has always been my favourite Crimson music.

They are all classics to me, but obviously In the Court of the Crimson King is another good place to start as that's where it all began. Poseidon is similar in parts to Court, and I believe there are many people who prefer it.

Lizard and Islands come into the acquired taste bracket. Probably the most "difficult" 2 of them all. A friend of mine who likes his difficult jazz likes these 2 the best. You probably need to give these 2 time, but they are well worth it when they get you. Lizard especially is so complex and difficult to describe. They have all benefited from 5.1, but probably Lizard most of all. It is an incredible listen in that format.

The best sounding Crimson 5.1, in my opinion, is Larks Tongues. Another essential purchase. Similar in ways to Red, but more difficult and a bit more instrumental.

The Discipline era is nothing like the 70's stuff. Similar if anything to Eno period Talking Heads. Discipline is the best from that period.

So to start, get the surround versions of Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Red, In the Court of the Crimson King and Discipline. Then take a deep breath, turn out the lights and get Lizard!

Don't you love this forum, everyone spending your money for you!!"
That is great info, thank you Colsky and Marplot. I think I am starting to get a hint of the KC thing. I have been focused on studio albums but it appears that KC has a huge live catalog that is just as important to the KC fan. Now, the Heavan and Earth box set is starting to make sense to me.
Last year Ayreon was the big hit for me, the year before XTC, maybe this year the big hit will be King Crimson.
And yes, QQ has a way of spending our money.
I should ask Snood if he ever became a convert?

That is great info, thank you Colsky and Marplot. I think I am starting to get a hint of the KC thing. I have been focused on studio albums but it appears that KC has a huge live catalog that is just as important to the KC fan. Now, the Heavan and Earth box set is starting to make sense to me.
Last year Ayreon was the big hit for me, the year before XTC, maybe this year the big hit will be King Crimson.
And yes, QQ has a way of spending our money.
I should ask Snood if he ever became a convert?
Oh, @Snood !!!

2. Discipline

I followed the Snood chronological approach and loved all the albums (except Beat & 3oaPP). Every album is its own story and i like to hear the historical / chronological development

Lucky man :SB

Love that they included a reprint of a ticket stub from Toad's Place. I was at that show. It was a real scorcher. Can't wait to get my box. But I ordered from Amazon UK, so a couple more weeks for me most likely.
Yes, I was very surprised, that they delivered it today, because I had the information that it was pushed to the 7th of june.

Back