Rush "Hemispheres" (40th Anniversary Box Set with 5.1 Blu-Ray Audio!)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve Wilson, did admit in an interview that he IS experiencing hearing loss

Silly sod needs to stop playing so bloody loud then. That last tour was a killer and I stupidly went to 5 shows! So that's me fucked too...

And I hate him for not doing this (my favourite Rush, perhaps my favourite album period), so there is that.

The first stages of hearing loss are an increased sensitivity to too loud. Especially in the high mids.
"Turn that down! I have children sleeping here! I'm calling the police!"
That's where I'm at at present.

If you finally start to take it easy at this point and use protection for more brutal events, you'll be fine.
If not, you'll lose frequency response next! (And perhaps start making too bright mixes.)
The sad stories are more from drummers who finally realize what's going on far too late.

Knock it off guys or I'll delete all of this "opinion" stuff. K?

Nevermind, I just re-read them and deleted them. Please refrain from inter-member attacks and political comments. There are many other places where this can be done with great glee.

My favorite RUSH album and I really want the 5.1 but there is no way in fucking hell I am paying that price for it. These dummies need to start doing seperate 5.1 releases.

Universal tried that from 2013-2016 and it didn't work out well enough for them, hence why these releases are only in box sets.
I'm not bothered having to pay for CDs but what does bother me is bundling CDs and vinyl together.
Thankfully this is the only box being released this fall (so far) that bundles things together like this.

:)

Not SW

Sorry folks, forthcoming
@rushtheband
Hemispheres 5.1 not one of mine.

I'm OK with that.

Contrary to the impression one gets from some of his fans , SW is not the sine qua non of fine 5.1 remixes. (Including Rush -- for "Cygnus X-1", for example, I prefer Chyki's 5.1 mix to SW's)

Mike, nice seeing you there talking about Rush and agree this is BIG,BIG,BIG release.
Sure wish we had had a $92 option to buy in Canada. Shouldn't we have as its the nation Rush came from. Instead my preorder came in at $181 by the time the TAX Man adds their part in.

Most definitely I will be checking what others say about this and if there is more bad news than good and if or a upmix involved, then this will be a CANCEL.

Mike, nice seeing you there talking about Rush and agree this is BIG,BIG,BIG release.
Sure wish we had had a $92 option to buy in Canada. Shouldn't we have as its the nation Rush came from. Instead my preorder came in at $181 by the time the TAX Man adds their part in.

Most definitely I will be checking what others say about this and if there is more bad news than good and if or a upmix involved, then this will be a CANCEL.

I wonder how long that price lasted? Seemed to shoot up pretty quickly...

Thank you!
I certainly empathize with you. I'm in a similar situation with The Beatles (TWA). Too expensive right now. Mix unknown. My hope is to catch a warehouse deal some day and sell everything, except the surround disc.

https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/20...40th-anniversary-box-set-coming-November-16th

UPDATE - 10/11@1:34PM: FYI: an Ole representative informed me that Rush engineer Rich Chycki did the 5.1 mix.

564db618037695dfaf17069558b8c229.jpg

The Sum of all Spheres!

Last edited:
https://www.rushisaband.com/blog/20...40th-anniversary-box-set-coming-November-16th

UPDATE - 10/11@1:34PM: FYI: an Ole representative informed me that Rush engineer Rich Chycki did the 5.1 mix.
Ugh. No cancellation for me over this news. I just hope he got his shit together or received less meddling from the band or whatever caused the mediocre/tame mixes that came with the Sectors sets.
IMO, 2112 and MP aren't too bad, but certainly are not stellar. I see that as Richard's ability to grow. I'm hoping for good things from this mix, until I hear otherwise.
In any case, I'll enjoy the box for what it's worth, then keep it or sell it, depending on satisfaction derived.

Ugh. No cancellation for me over this news. I just hope he got his shit together or received less meddling from the band or whatever caused the mediocre/tame mixes that came with the Sectors sets.
IMO, 2112 and MP aren't too bad, but certainly are not stellar. I see that as Richard's ability to grow. I'm hoping for good things from this mix, until I hear otherwise.
In any case, I'll enjoy the box for what it's worth, then keep it or sell it, depending on satisfaction derived.

Stick to yer guns, Mike. Perhaps Chycki took some pointers from the Steve Wilson Playbook!

Stick to yer guns, Mike. Perhaps Chycki took some pointers from the Steve Wilson Playbook!
Well, this news only answers the who, not necessarily the how or when. Did Rich C. mix this back when he did FBN, AFtK & Signals? If so, why did each Sectors set only get 1 DVD-A?
Were the Hemispheres multis used? Do they still exist? If not, did he use Penteo or another similar tool to upmix? Did he mix it recently? If so, welcome back to the Rush fold, Rich!
I remain cautiously hopeful!

Since I got the 'early bird' $92 price, there's no turning back for me.
AFAIK, this is a new mix using the original multitrack tapes, and until I hear otherwise, there is no reason for me to believe otherwise, so like @edisonbaggins I remain cautiously optimistic.
At least this album is finally getting released in 5.1 surround after all these years of waiting!

:)

Back