Films (Almost Entirely Surround)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I watched A Quiet Place (2018) with Emily Blunt (not actually with her - she was in the movie) last night and while I didn't enjoy it and wanted all the characters to die, there were some decent surround moments with creature noises behind you, rustling leaves and stuff. I thought that given the concept, it might have some sort of sound aspect kinda similar to Coppola's The Conversation or De Palma's Blow Out but oh well.

There was, however, a flippin' loud waterfall and so if you've got Atmos, it would probably be worth a rent for it as I can imagine it could sound pretty awesome falling from your roof. It's mercifully short at about 85 minutes too so you won't waste too much time.

I watched Spielberg's Ready Player One last night. Might have a contender for Kong: Skull Island and mother! for the best decent surround mix of new stuff I've watched recently. Fidelity, the sounds themselves and the discreet surround mix were all awesome. Well worth a rent for the sounds. Atmos and DTS-MA 5.1 on the BD.

I finally watched my Arrow UK import [region B] of Joe Dante's cult classic THE BURBS. After suffering through untold botch jobs, Arrow has successfully remastered [from 4K] this Tom Hanks/Carrie Fisher/Bruce Dern/Corey Feldman 1988 fun fest with brilliant video and wonderful Dolby Surround 2.0 audio [Jerry Goldsmith's score is wonderful].

The colors are vibrant and the special features include a detailed making of which is required viewing.

Very Highly Recommended!

BTW, if you're reading this, AmazonUS has one of their lightning deals on the TRUE Native UHD 4K remaster of Rob Reiner's magnificent A FEW GOOD MEN for $11.99. HURRY....the deal won't last long [actually a few hours]!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/A-Few-Good-Men-4K-Blu-ray/188533/#Review [DOLBY ATMOS soundtrack, BTW].

Last edited:
Another upcoming top tier SONY 'native' UHD 4K movie to consider [with a Dolby Atmos soundtrack]. From director Sam Raimi: http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Quick-and-the-Dead-4K-Blu-ray/205105/#Review

Release date: July 17th.
Thanks for all the FYIs on 4k movies... I took advantage of the lightning deal the other day on "A Few Good Men", and "The Quick And The Dead" is a guilty favorite (I love all those 'spaghetti westerns' and Raimi did a great job paying homage!)

Speaking of Sam Raimi, anyone who liked the Evil Dead movies should check out the "Ash vs Evil Dead" series on Netflix... fantastically fun!

Thanks for all the FYIs on 4k movies... I took advantage of the lightning deal the other day on "A Few Good Men", and "The Quick And The Dead" is a guilty favorite (I love all those 'spaghetti westerns' and Raimi did a great job paying homage!)

Speaking of Sam Raimi, anyone who liked the Evil Dead movies should check out the "Ash vs Evil Dead" series on Netflix... fantastically fun!

Yep the Ash vs Evil dead is funny stuff - too bad season 3 was the last - but great fun while it lasted. :SB

Big fan of The Chin (Bruce Campbell)....don't usually like horror stuff but Ash was a fun series...also had Lucy Lawless!!!

Not really about surround movies...but movies in general HERE

Oooh! Definitely see Netflix, Amazon and Apple going for it big. Can only be good? More good movies/tv with them all competing! Disney preparing their own thing and you always get quality from HBO...

And the new Apple TV update is going to support Atmos! :phones

I must say that Netflix has won me over if only because they "rescued" one of my all time favorite series (although there are no news of a 4th season, they managed to do a 3rd one!); "El Ministerio del Tiempo"... Great stuff!!!! Still waiting for the 3rd season on BD cause I got the first two...which, btw is MultiRegion!!!

Hardly in surround but well worth noting: On November 20, 2018, Criterion is releasing 30 remastered Ingmar Bergman Classics on BD~V in a box set accompanied by a 248 page booklet and 30 hours of Special Features. If you shop their website, they are offering the 30 disc collection at a special price of $239.95 which, if you do the math, comes out to $8 per disc which is unheard of [even used] for a Criterion BD~V title [Amazon's pre~order price is $299].

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/1427-ingmar-bergman-s-cinema

Last edited:

Yes, NETFLIX is creating a unique mini empire and I just read since ATT took over Time Warner, which owns HBO, they are insisting that HBO vigorously compete with NETFLIX in upping the ante by formulating UNIQUE 7 day a week programming in lieu of just concentrating on their hit~laden Sunday night schedule. https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/HBO/AT&T/Time_Warner/atts-acquisition-of-time-warner-could-lead-to-big-changes-at-hbo/42064

Things should get VERY interesting! As it is now there is WAAAYYYY too much programming ALREADY on cable/network TV and the ole sayin' TOO MUCH OF A GOOD THING AIN'T A GOOD THING ANYMORE just MIGHT BE apropos!

Perhaps the record conglomerates will follow suit and start releasing EVERYTHING, past and present, IN SURROUND. We should be SO lucky!:ROFLMAO:and Soooooo Broke!

Last edited:
I will add that EVERYBODY SHOULD BE WATCHING Season 1 of Killing Eve on AMC/BBC. It’s must see television! So, get on with it, if you haven’t already!! You won’t be disappointed!!!

Thanks for the heads~up, Perp. As I stated, there is SO much currently on all the cable channels it's hard to keep up. Will definitely check it out.

Also required viewing: The series has ended but if you can catch repeats of TRUST on the FX channel, also an excellent, excellent series! Donald Sutherland is maniacally brilliant as John Paul Getty!

Last edited:
I'm sure this article has been around for a while but quite interesting if not seen it...

https://www.whathifi.com/features/11-best-film-scenes-to-test-surround-sound

Went to see Sicario 2, great film. Still not plucked up the courage for Hereditary yet. And now the only bookings are really late! EEEK

Mr. Smithers, if you've afraid to see the horror movie HEREDITARY alone, might I suggest a companion to accompany you: https://cms.qz.com/wp-content/uploa...1531476107577.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1600

And I assure you, he's been pouty potty trained!

Last edited:
After 3 cups of coffee and a medium:coffee: coffee milkshake, I'm going to attempt to watch the new 4K remaster of Monterey:SG Pop [The Criterion Collection/5.1]. And yes, it's 5:30 AM in New York....and pouring rain. Yawn!:sleep:

I wonder if Janis had her lungs donated to the Smithsonian? Catch the various expressions on Mama Cass' face [in:cool: sunglasses] during Janis' performance....from insecurity to exaltation!

Last edited:
Not a movie for Beatles purists but the 4K version of Julie Taymor's "Across The Universe" is stunning with a lovely ATMOS mix. I've always liked the way the Beatles' songs have been used to create the storyline while remaining relatively faithful to the originals but the new mix rally opens everything up. The Secret Machines version of "Flying" used over the end titles is a particularly trippy experience with a very involving surround mix. Well worth watching if you enjoy "Love".

Back