Another RCA Italiana quad! Patty Pravo "Pazza Idea"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winopener

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Just got today something that seemed incredible... a second RCA Italiana quad release, this time in Q8 format.
Many of you knows the "Morricone - Soundtracks" CD4 LP that marked the first RCA Italiana quad known, and by a short time. On the back cover of Morricone it stated that was available also as a Q8 cart. Problem was, never seen one before and no reference whatsoever about italian quad releases.
The "new" quad find is one of the biggest hits of 1973 italian charts:
Patty Pravo "Pazza idea"
- single charted 2 in the best-sellers of the 1973
- album charted 6 in the best-sellers of the 1973
The stereo version, single and album, were released in spring 1973 and became the biggest italian hit of the summer 73 - top spot single was "Crocodile rock". You could hear "Pazza idea" everywhere, especially on the jubebox on the beaches. The single had also a release in spanish language ("Una locura") and the italian single and LP were released in many european countries.
What makes this cart intresting, aside from the quad mix - which is very nice - is that it is the first time there is any notice - at least that i know of - for a RCA quad done outside of USA/Canada/Japan - the Morricone CD4 was pressed in USA. The cart is "Made in Italy" and use a white RCA-riveted shell and the typical long-fold italian-style label.

Since many european quaddies have joined the QQ forum after the CD4 demod story... does anyone of you knows something about other RCA Italiana quads? I am 99% sure this existed in CD4 too.

And a scan of the full graphic, restored properly

Attachments

• pravo_small.jpg
    pravo_small.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 620
Hi, That Q8 scan is very interesting. I do have the RCA Italy Morricone - Soundtracks TBD1-1068 CD-4 LP in my collection. I also saw that on the back it mentions being available on Q8 tape. Unfortunately, I don't have the Q8 of the Morricone - Soundtracks album, nor do I have the CD-4 or Q8 of the new one mentioned here. I didn't know of a 2nd RCA Italy Quad release. Was the Morricone - Soundtracks a single inventory release in Italy, or was there a stereo version of it as well on LP, probably would be numbered TBL1-1068 using RCA's numbering system where L was stereo LP and D was CD-4. If it was a double inventory release, then the new title probably was also, making it even harder to find in CD-4. I would assume since the Morricone was mastered and pressed in the USA, that the new title would have been also, then bulk shipped to Italy to be put in the jacket. Thank you for posting the scan of the Q8 label, now that tape is definitely one to try and find. Nick Perugini, Reading, PA

Attached is a scan of the back cover of the Morricone CD-4, on the left roughly in the middle, is where it mentions the Q8 version and gives the number for it. (LPQ8-10611)

Attachments

• RCA TBD1-1068 Ennio Morricone-Soundtracks  Jacket Back Medium Web view.jpg
    RCA TBD1-1068 Ennio Morricone-Soundtracks Jacket Back Medium Web view.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 675
Patty Pravo was a separate release: the label on the Q8 cart says October 1973, so the quad mix came out months later the stereo version.

Well, first of all, congrats on your find! :) Always great when that happens, huh?

Second, how would you describe the music? Pop, disco(before it had a name), etc.?

ED :)

Well, first of all, congrats on your find! :) Always great when that happens, huh?

Second, how would you describe the music? Pop, disco(before it had a name), etc.?

ED :)

Thank you... it has been a real suprise. Make me wanna trash the CCR Gold Q8 i got the day before! :D
As for music... Elegant&Classy italian melodic pop.

Well, despite all odds, a Morricone Q8 showed up today.

Attachments

• morr_q8s.jpg
    morr_q8s.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 543
Informations are scarce, however i do have some of their Q8.

Back