The Elliot Scheiner Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tlake6659

300 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
He is probably my favorite surround mixer. Have a lot of his mixes on DVD, DVD-Audio & SACD. Here is a list of what I have that I believe he mixed (correct any that I am wrong about). What do you have that you like mixed by him and what am I missing.

Eagles - Hotel California
Steely Dan - Gaucho
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DVD-Audio)
Steely Dan - Two Against Nature (DVD)
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Donald Fagen - Nightfly
Donald Fagen - Kamakiriad
Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
REM - Document
REM - Green
REM - Out of Time
REM - Automatic for the People
REM - Monster
REM - New Adventures in Hi Fi
REM - Up
REM - Reveal
REM - In Time (Best of)
REM - Around the Sun
Porcupine Tree - In Absentina
Foo Fighters - In Your Honor
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones
NIN - Beside You In Time
Eagles - Hell Freezes Over
Beck - Sea Change

On DVD-V (all excellent, live concert discrete mixes)

ELO - Zoom
Loggins & Messina - Sittin In Again
Eagles - Farewell Tour Live In Melbourne
Crossroads (Eric Clapton and guests) - Live in Chicago
Steely Dan - Steely Dan's Plush TV Party in Sensuous Surround

I'm sure there are a few more that escape me at the moment - most if not all of these should still be available.

I thought that Steven Wilson mixed Deadwing. Did Elliot help him with this one as well?

No, you are correct Elliot did mix Deadwing as well.

Another that I have that I forgot to include is Nirvana Unplugged

Anyone know who mixed the DTS CDs of Sting's Ten Summoner's Tales and Nothing Like the Sun?

Don't forget:

Doobie Brothers - Captain & Me
America - Homecoming
Toy Matinee
Toto IV
Fleetwood Mac - The Dance
Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=65735&page=8

Queen A Night At The Opera XXX (a tough challenge conquered in surround sound) - with no doubt here in Toronto, the 2005 dts has better sound than the 2002 dts and the DVD-A disc. The back to front pans on the new disc are similar and the placement of sounds is similar but hold the horses, 'not quite' the sound of the bass is more solid on the side walls traveling between front and back speakers, the bass is the most noticeable difference here, and the overall recording has a feel of a more balanced presentation
My wife and I compared both discs, and I totally agreed with my wife, when she said "Goodbye to that awful bright DVD-A disc."

A "must" buy for Queen fans!

Also-I'm pleased with the nice sound on the CD.

Sound&Vision Feb./March 2006
Queen's two-disc A Night At The Opera 30th
Indeed includes a third stab at a multichannel version, Brian May says "some improvements" were made to the last mix (which was done by Baker, May, and Elliot Scheiner); a Hollywood Records rep told ICE that Kris Fredriksson "tweaked throughout." But I was hard-pressed to notice anything other than at times, less dramatic bass-and-drum support in the center channel. And any multichannel Opera will remain merely good until the choral vocals surround you, instead of being relegated mostly to the rear.
The other disc here does provide the best-yet remastering of the stereo album on CD.
But the DVD's extras are underwhelming, with rarely song-specific commentary by May and Roger Taylor (plus tapes of Freddie Mercury and John Deacon) and 10 "new videos" that are just awkward edits of old footage and photos. And a "restored" version of the real "Bohemian Rhapsody" clip is more shimmery than the one on DTS's DVD-Audio disc. It's also the wrong cut. (Check out the dumb flames!)-Ken Richardson

Pioneer 563 - analog to Harman Kardon with no bass management used in the receiver.

I'm not challenging the DVD-A's reproduction of the bass overall, I'm stating for the record here that the DVD-A is noticeably brighter than the latest dts release. and the side wall sound of the 2005-dts seems to be fuller, warmer.

I'll stick my neck out and sum it up like this: "The 'new' disc is 'gold standard' while the DVD-A now sounds like an awful bright remastering of a standard issue, with all the benefits of hi-rez of course."

The vocals are improved on the XXX release, better texture?
XXX is superb, and that's what my wife and I now prefer! Thank you very much, Brian May and Bob Ludwig!

Also Steve Lukather's Candyman.

And wasn't he deeply invovled into the Dream Theater Score DVD ?

Back