QRX9001 and Fosgate Tate II 101A together

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkdog

Hi,

I have a QRX9001 as my main system and recently found a Tate II and was wondering how I can integrate these 2 units. I assume I would use the tape loop into the QRX and the main out from the Tate.

Is this the way to go? Any other ideas?

Thx,
Dave

That is the normal way to do it. You could also connect it to the quad aux inputs, however, you would need a preamp or a CD-4 demodulator to connect it to the turntable. The tape loop is the best way. It allows other sources to be demodulated. I can't recall, it seems like that Sansui put the QS demodulator past the tape loops in the signal chain, so you will have to turn it off. Or maybe it was before, I can't remember, but it was different from the way everybody else did it. Just connect the SQ inputs to the front outputs on the monitor loop.

The Quadfather

Ok I have everything hooked up and doing its quad thing. My next questions are for the owners of the Tate II:
The balance light signifies what?
The minimum level light signifies what? (I assume this is picking up signal that can be separated?? or is this the balance light?)
I know what the clipping light is for, so at least I have that going for me.

My guess is I want to see the Minimum Level light on most of the time and the balance light going on and off like crazy for max quad sound.

Thanks,
Dave

I was never really able to figure out how to set the input balance optimally just by ear.
Then I got the MoFi Test CD (with Alan Parsons on cover) with track 4 that has a fairly long in-phase and
out of phase test white noise signal. When in-phase is playing, you can adjust the input balance on the 101a
so that nothing comes from the rear channels(very close to nothing). When in out of phase signal
is playing, adjust to hear nothing coming from the front channels. The in-phase and out of phase
adjustment should be the same if all is working well.
The adjustment is usually very close to 12 o'clock position.
That is just my method, not sure if it is correct or not.

vinylguy4

Thanks Vinylguy4 that gives me an idea... I have a Nakamichi 610 Control Pre-amp I can hook up. This units generates white/pink noise signal which you can then use the phase inverter on (at least think that should work).

Question.. Maybe a dumb one... If you use a tape loop, you what would you do to use a Q8 deck with the system? I don't know much about separate decoders. I'm a discrete guy myself, but I love QS synth

The usual solution, get a pair of dbx 200 or dbx 400 switch boxes and hook them to the tape loop.
Then you can put your decoders and Q8 and Quad reel machines on the dbx boxes.
The Sansui receivers are a bit different (the 7001 and 6001 for sure), they don't output the QS decoded (4 channel)
signal to the tape outs. The 9001/8001 only has a single 4 channel tape loop, makes it difficult to get everything hooked up.

vinylguy4

Back