What's the Latest QUAD TAPE Added to Your Pile? Q8, Q4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oooh, 1984, that IS rare. I believe I have it (I hope I do since I'm a Van Halen completist, its one of those things I think I have but have not seen in a while). I have Michael Jackson Bad, which is an even more rare columbia house tape.

I have a few other rarer tapes: I have to dig them out, but off the top of my head a Berlin's Love Life, Pretenders Learning to Crawl, Rick James best of, David Gilmour's About Face.

A_L

Last Q8.... a very BIG score: Lucio Battisti "Il nostro caro angelo". Here's the full graphics restored, oroginal graphics is really wrinkled and the tape has a problem in one spot... but it is real!

battisti_inca_q8_small.jpg

BTW, here's for the pictures of other two RCA Italy Q8:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?10271-Another-RCA-Italiana-quad!

Just had Cat Stevens's "Tea for the Tillerman" and "Teaser and the Firecat" Q8s delivered. I have heard some moderately bad-ish reviews on "Tillerman" and my copy needs some work. However, I was impressed with "Teaser"; nice separation and good sound - especially on "Moon Shadow".

Chicago X, Frank Sinatra (Greatest Volume 2), and a four-pack of Bridge over Troubled Water, Lynn Anderson, Edgar Winter and The Mormon Tallywhacker Choir.
I really just wanted the four pack for Edgar Winter -which I already have, but this ones' labels were in much better shape than mine.

So once I get these in and all sorted out, I'll have another bunch heading for eBay.

Recent Arrivals:

Sounds of Steam Locomotives of the American Freedom Train (Sealed on GRT!)
Railroad Sounds of the Greenboard South

Recent Wins on eBay:

Randy Newman - Good Ol' Boys
Morton Subotnik - Touch

However I think the BEST score this week was finding someone who has a 3-speed shifter ball for my Gremlin. I would've thought that would be an easy and/or common item to find! Worse yet, try finding one for a 1/2" fine-threaded stick. However, this dude came through and found me one! No more shifting the ol' Gremster and having the knob fall off!

Then again, I betcha it's been over 30 years since the last three-speed, floor-shifted car rolled out of Detroit. I can still recall in high school (around 1998) a friend buying an '80 Chevy Pickup with a 6-cylinder and three on the tree. He had to phone me so I would come help him drive the truck home! He had no idea how to drive a bolt-action shifter. Luckily, I was such a farm-boy.... :cool:

I used to be in auto recycling in the late 1970s so I can appreciate how rare some parts can be. Three speeds in cars faded by a 1974 depending on make.

Back on former topic, is love to hear the steam train quads too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me, being a life-long railroad fan, there isn't anything more exciting (in a family context :D) than to have your quad system turned up and playing the sounds of a steamer (or even a diesel) and train passing in front of you. OK, the only thing more exciting is when it happens in real life.

And I always thought the Gremlin was a neat little car. I borrowed my brother-in-law's while our car was layed up due to an accident my wife had with it in the winter of 1983-84. The choke butterfly was missing but he said just keep pumping it and it will eventually start. It was an extremely cold winter, kind of like this one, but he was right. It always started.

Doug

Well, I got back from the thrift store today with 4 Q8 tapes. America Holiday, Hearts and two "Sound value" Q8 s, both of which sound suprisingly good with halfway decent discreteness-Carol King Tapestry and the Soundtrack to Funny girl. But... they took a good part of my evening. The Hearts and Funny girl tapes played well, but the Holiday tape was tangled off the inside reel (thankfully at the beginning of the tape). I started unwinding it and a birds nest popped off the inside of the reel..the worst scenario. This is a good enough Q8 for me to take some extra pains with, so i cut the tape and began unwinding it, but more tape popped out of the middle again! I cut the tape for the 2nd time while keeping the splices in order. Well, I finally got it back together with some very good splices and put it in the player and ill be darned if I didnt put it on running the wrong direction! Back to square one, but I finally got it right and was pleased that I couldnt tell where the splices were. My next adventure was the Carol king tape. When i got it to the beginning, I pulled on the splice and couldnt pull it apart so I decided not to secure it and...you guessed it.. the splice came apart the first time it got to the capstan and then started to pick up speed. Thankfully my Akai doesnt damage the tape when this happens. I just turn the flywheel backwards and the tape unrolls right of the capstan with no damage. This little Q8 adventure took me about 2 to 3 hours..Oboy. Sometimes I forget to work smarter so I can work harder.

"Sometimes I forget to work smarter so I can work harder."

Sounds like you can handle the situation. Best of luck to you.

Yeah, sometimes I get "cocky" with 8-track repair cause I've done it so many times, this can cause me to not take precautions that lead to other disaster. Plus sometimes I panic rush cause it can take a lot of time.

Ozark.jpg
Just got this in the mail and am on track 2 already. Sounds discrete, but I was underwhelmed after expecting the big sound I used to get from the long worn single of Jackie Blue. I like it as an album, and it does have a comfortable mix that puts the vocals in the front for the most part.

View attachment 13669
Just got this in the mail and am on track 2 already. Sounds discrete, but I was underwhelmed after expecting the big sound I used to get from the long worn single of Jackie Blue. I like it as an album, and it does have a comfortable mix that puts the vocals in the front for the most part.

Yeah, never get your hopes up with an A&M title. I've got them all and can safely say only three or four are Columbia-esque, 4-corner discrete. This is actually one of the better titles with drums mostly to the rear, vocals mostly to the front and lots in phantom left and right. Not aggressive by any stretch of the imagination for sure.

Early A&M Quad titles that were Q8 ONLY or issued in the US as SQ/Q8 were more like upmixes. Most of the later A&M titles that were released in the US as CD-4/Q8 (RCA pressings) were mixed well. It'll Shine... was a later CD-4 title.

Are you sure about this being a CD-4 title Linda? I looked in the Quad Discography and only saw the Q8. If so, I will be on the hunt, if only to try to get around the hiss and occasional crosstalk I get with my player.

It'll Shine was Q8 only as I recall. As to when it was mixed into Quad, that I don't recall. It could have been one of those earlier Quad mixes.

I'll have to disagree. The early 1972 dated titles are some of the most discrete. Billy Preston, Quincy Jones (You've got it bad, girl), Joan Baez (Come from the Shadows) are among the most discrete titles. The rest are pretty lackluster and seem like derived stereo. You almost need specialized equipment to detect the separation! It gets pretty spotty too like Herb Alpert's Greatest Hits is derived from stereo whereas Whipped Cream comes from the 3-track session tapes. But even then, it's not mixed very aggressively.

Come to think of it, the three titles I mentioned above are the ONLY REALLY discrete titles. Some of the other titles are nice Quad, but mixed very delicately and not aggressive like a Columbia or RCA title.

Back