The OFFICIAL "How many times have you purchased Tubular Bells" Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
This thread was created by request. List the number of times and formats that you have purchased Tubular Bells in stereo or surround.

Lots?

Jon, if you continue with the formats used on DSOTM, you should include Cassette, 2ch LP, 2 ch 8tk and 1/2 speed mastered vinyl, which was a Columbia Mastersound release from the early 80's.

I don't believe that re-recordings should be included, as those are a different album.

I've owned the following Tubular Bells:

1- US 2ch LP
2- UK SQ (for people with four ears)
3- US CD-4
4- 1/2 speed mastered CBS Mastersound LP
5- European original CD pressing
6- US CD pressing
7- SACD 5.1
8- DVD-A

Tubular!!!!

I think they're looking for surround versions.

Jon, if you continue with the formats used on DSOTM, you should include Cassette, 2ch LP, 2 ch 8tk and 1/2 speed mastered vinyl, which was a Columbia Mastersound release from the early 80's.

I don't believe that re-recordings should be included, as those are a different album......

Just to be picky, the Tubular Bells 2003 DVD-A is a re-recording/ different album....

Let's see...one early US stereo pressing and a later one (better vinyl and sound, IMO); a stereo MFSL pressing; US Q8, UK SQ Lp; original black label import CD and a later remaster; and the SACD. Don't remember having a cassette or 8-track stereo of this one, but my memory could be foggy about that...

And to pile on more, the 45's: US stock/promo pressings of "Money" original stock "Us And Them" and a later colored vinyl reissue of same.

This is a lot of stuff, given that I've never been a stone fanatic about the album (MEDDLE, even WYWH, are more my speed, not to mention on the early Syd stuff).

ED :)

Cassette, Original CD (red lettering on silver face), Remastered CD from 2001, Boxed CD set, Original CD (Blue face), 2009 Remaster with bonus DVD, SACD.

7 copies (of which I now own two only, the SACD and the 2009 Remaster.)

Crikey...

And according to Wikipedia, "A quadrophonic version, black vinyl catalogue number QV2001. The first 40,000 copies of this are not true quadrophonic but doctored versions of the stereo issue, thereafter the subsequent copies are true quadrophonic. Unfortunately there is no indication on the record label that this substitution was made." So there are 2 UK SQ versions.

J. D.

Let's not do the poll. Everyone just list how many times you've bought it and in what formats. The polls for stuff like this are useless anyway. Especially since you can't go over 12 entries.

Go forth and list

The vinyl album was the first LP I ever bought.
Then a few years back I bought the 2003 DVD-A.

25th Anniversary Edition from 1998 (digipak, gold CD)
Deluxe Edition with DD 5.1

One of the few times that I found a DD 5.1 track on a music release to sound really good!

Back