Keane - Hopes and Fears 20 (SDE BluRay #21 w/David Kosten Atmos Mix May 20th, 2024)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This flat out does not make sense.
Neither the new stereo mix nor the 5.1 mix have anything to do with the old mixes on the SACD. Frank Arkwright at Abbey Road has created a warm, detailed and dynamic hi-res stereo remaster from the original unmastered mixes of the album and the 5.1 mix is brand new, derived from the Atmos Mix.
Where is this separate stereo mix? From how it's describing what Frank Arkwright is doing, the mix should be the same as the original mix, unless those "unmastered mixes" are different from the officially-released mixes.

Notice here in this part how it specifically describes the Atmos and 5.1 mixes as "new", but doesn't say the same for the stereo mix:
The SDE blu-ray features a brand new Dolby Atmos Mix by David Kosten (David produced Keane's last studio album Cause and Effect, and created the Atmos Mixes for Tubular Bells and No Parlez) as well as a brand new 5.1 mix and a 96/24 stereo mix.
There's this weird ambiguity in how it's worded that makes it hard to derive what they actually mean regarding if the stereo mix is new or not.

Edit: Just emailed SDE customer service about this. I'll let you all know if I get a response.

Last edited:
Edit: Just emailed SDE customer service about this. I'll let you all know if I get a response.
The stereo mix is the original mix, not a new mix.
1000005628.png

So now the question is; will the remastered original stereo mix be sufficiently improved to justify the purchase (for those of us who listen in 2 channel, likely a minority here).
That’s the kicker, we have to buy in advance and hope our fears are unfounded.

This flat out does not make sense.

Where is this separate stereo mix? From how it's describing what Frank Arkwright is doing, the mix should be the same as the original mix, unless those "unmastered mixes" are different from the officially-released mixes.

Notice here in this part how it specifically describes the Atmos and 5.1 mixes as "new", but doesn't say the same for the stereo mix:

There's this weird ambiguity in how it's worded that makes it hard to derive what they actually mean regarding if the stereo mix is new or not.

Probably a copy-paste error.

But the description does suggest that the stereo mastering on the BD might be different than what's on the CD and download version... though not anywhere as obvious as it was in the case of Paul Young.

That’s the kicker, we have to buy in advance and hope our fears are unfounded.
This will almost always be the kicker, won't it? Also for the immersive audio fans. Some of the releases (like the Trevor Horn one) end up being a bit of a dud. A teaser for these releases would be nice. Sometimes we get one (e.g. for the Mark Knopfler album) and sometime we don't. But you must have Apple Music or Tidal to be able to listen to Atmos teasers.

Back