Paul Young - "No Parlez" Blu-Ray Audio with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming March 15 (SDE #17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dammit! This is a tough one to swallow for me. Like, really tough. I've vaguely heard of him, sounds like he has several hits on this album. Went to youtube, immediately remember Come Back and Stay. That song I remember in the US in a big way. The other 2 "hits", never heard them. Majority of this album I simply do not like. Ughhhhh. What to do.

Dammit! This is a tough one to swallow for me. Like, really tough. I've vaguely heard of him, sounds like he has several hits on this album. Went to youtube, immediately remember Come Back and Stay. That song I remember in the US in a big way. The other 2 "hits", never heard them. Majority of this album I simply do not like. Ughhhhh. What to do.
Just got to buy it Gene for the completist in you.....Or is that me:unsure::D

Well, this was a quicker than instant decision for me! I have owned this album almost from the day it was released and Paul Young is something of a local hero here in Luton. If you like the songs - I note your indecision GOS - I think the new capturing of the original multitracks should make it a stand out demo disc. Roll on 15th March!

Another skip for me 😢
Let's get back to the eclectic variety of the first dozen releases, and away from 80s has-beens
You know, I find my self liking the "pop" version of the 80s right now in my life, but many of these being released are way to fringe for me. I just don't think they were universally liked here in the US. Of course, that's just me talking...small data set. lol

Now, here are some 80's I'd love...

Cyndi Lauper
Men At Work
Eurythmics
Hall/Oates
Huey Lewis
Culture Club
Air Supply
Starship

And yes, I did order this Paul Young.....not going to deal with a gap in my collection. I'll think of it like the shirt I bought that I never wear.

To put this in perspective, back in the mid 80's in central Illinois.....if I were at a party and someone put on a Paul Young album....let's just say someone would have been killed. lol
I suspect on the college circuit in bigger cities, this sort of music was being played all the time. I didn't stay on campus, so would not have known....

You know, I find my self liking the "pop" version of the 80s right now in my life, but many of these being released are way to fringe for me. I just don't think they were universally liked here in the US. Of course, that's just me talking...small data set. lol

Cyndi Lauper
Men At Work
Eurythmics
Hall/Oates
Huey Lewis
Culture Club
Air Supply
Starship

And yes, I did order this Paul Young.....not going to deal with a gap in my collection. I'll think of it like the shirt I bought that I never wear.
Like you I have all of the SDE releases some of which I bought for the number on the slip cover! However, I have been really surprised how many of these have been much more appealing than I had thought because of the blend of mix, sound quality and my tastes changing/maturing over time. I hope that you find that No Parlez is a pleasant surprise rather than just a gap filler but we all enjoy different music and the only person's opinion that counts for you is yours!

I enjoy a very large breadth of music so the SDE releases on top of the Quadio and the Sony SACDs are all welcome - although I do not buy everything - and hearing albums I didn't buy on initial release is just wonderful. By the way I am completely with you on the list of singers/bands for possible releases! (y)

Cyndi Lauper
Men At Work
Eurythmics
Hall/Oates
Huey Lewis
Culture Club
Air Supply
Starship

I agree. I was just about to leave a similar comment saying, it would be nice to have a couple of releases for artists that were successful on both sides of the Atlantic. I get that SDE is a UK company and therefore a lot of the legal wranglings necessary to bring these to market are easier to accomplish for acts based in the UK, but I can't talk myself into buying the majority of them.

Well, this was a quicker than instant decision for me! I have owned this album almost from the day it was released and Paul Young is something of a local hero here in Luton. If you like the songs - I note your indecision GOS - I think the new capturing of the original multitracks should make it a stand out demo disc. Roll on 15th March!
I was going to say something similar, as a teenager I lived in Leighton Buzzard, then I moved to Houghton Regis and worked for 30 years in Dunstable, and as you say he was a bit of a local hero.

I'm likewise torn. Did not like Soft Cell much either. But I'll probably still buy it.

Well I'm sitting in Laranaca Airport waiting to catch my flight back to the UK ( not looking forward to the drive home, probably get home around 2:30am), and so browsing emails and saw this.
So I'll get it, only Paul Young album I own. I think it was released '78-ish as I remember seeing friends playing in his backing band on TV! In the mid-70s he and his first band (Streetband) had a Friday night residency in the Horn Of Plenty in St. Albans my usual 'watering hole' back then.

So that was easy. Preordered.
Wonderful album--primarily because I love Pino Palladino's fretless bass playing on it. In terms of albums from that era, I wouldn't rate it as highly as ABC or Soft Cell, but it's still really nice and have some fond memories of it.
But I do think there's a dearth, still, of essential '80s albums that have been released on multichannel (as opposed to the '70s)

LOL... I checked out CB&S after reading your post. I don't have any recollection of the song at all. I am guessing you saw it on MTV. It wasn't a terrible song but it wasn't worth buying the album for either.

Back