Paul Young - "No Parlez" Blu-Ray Audio with 5.1 & Dolby Atmos mixes coming March 15 (SDE #17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree. I always prefer extended mixes. Perhaps the multis weren’t available?
I'm a big fan of 80s 12 inch mixes in general. In a number of ways, they appeal to me for the same reason that a surround remix appeals to me. So I would love to have some 12 inch mixes in surround sound. Buuut…

I'd imagine that for most cases there never were any multi-tracks of the 12-inch mix. Generally, the LP version would have been used. So it would have been re-edited to put things in a different order and extend the track as well as to remix it. Sometimes extra bits were recorded but I think quite often that can be the remix engineer just adding some keyboards/ electronic drums. There may have been interim pieces put on a third tape but not a full set of multis. So I think they were very often just working from LP multi-tracks to stereo. We all know how much work surround remixers like SW and SWT put into being able to recreate the LP mix - they have to find bits 'flown in' from elsewhere and which effects units were used, etc. So imagine how difficult that must be if a remix was handed out to a third party who just sent back a stereo master.

I'm a big fan of 80s 12 inch mixes in general. In a number of ways, they appeal to me for the same reason that a surround remix appeals to me. So I would love to have some 12 inch mixes in surround sound. Buuut…

I'd imagine that for most cases there never were any multi-tracks of the 12-inch mix. Generally, the LP version would have been used. So it would have been re-edited to put things in a different order and extend the track as well as to remix it. Sometimes extra bits were recorded but I think quite often that can be the remix engineer just adding some keyboards/ electronic drums. There may have been interim pieces put on a third tape but not a full set of multis. So I think they were very often just working from LP multi-tracks to stereo. We all know how much work surround remixers like SW and SWT put into being able to recreate the LP mix - they have to find bits 'flown in' from elsewhere and which effects units were used, etc. So imagine how difficult that must be if a remix was handed out to a third party who just sent back a stereo master.
Good point on the 'extended mixes'. They most often are probably working from the 2-track masters.

Although, in many cases, the LP versions are edited down from longer versions in order to fit the LP time restrictions.

Playing through this now; am I the only one hearing a nasty coarse edge to his vocals?
Comparing the stereo 24/192 remix , the remastered LP version and the CD version of Come Back and Stay (the CD version is the extended variant, seems a tad better).
It’s like his mic was distorting.
I think it’s the original recording that’s the problem.
Makes this a very tough listen IMHO.

Last edited:
Playing through this now; am I the only one hearing a nasty coarse edge to his vocals?
Comparing the stereo 24/192 remix , the remastered LP version and the CD version of Come Back and Stay (the CD version is the extended variant, seems a tad better).
So, all versions had this apparent vocal distortion?

To my ears, yes. On the first 2 tracks.
Maybe not so bad on the original CD version.
Will listen again later with fresh ears and dig into more tracks too.
As I have mentioned elsewhere I was privileged to hear this album in Atmos in the small theatre at Dolby HQ in London. I have to believe that the audio system there is state-of-the-art and it would be fair to say that the top end could be described as very forward, not harsh but would not have benefitted from any increase in the volume. However, played on my home system the top end sounds much smoother albeit in 5.1 as I do not have Atmos. I do not have any issue with the vocals at home or on my car 5.1 system which can be a bit bright. I do have some albums that do seem to border on harsh in the car but this isn't one of them.

Obviously we all hear sounds a little differently just as we can perceive colours slightly differently so I would not wish to disagree with you but just sharing my experience.

I'll have to check it myself. I think it'll ship with the Keane release next month, since I ordered those two together.

A second listen, all the way through, and though I still hear that edgy grittiness to his vocals (Wherever I Lay My Hat is a culprit) by backing off on the volume, and maybe relaxing a bit, I found it less aggravating this time.
Something to be said for backing off and playing it again before speaking up.
And lost in the recording quality discussion is the fact that this is a very good album.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back