Surround headphones review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OdysseyMusik

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
:music
This is important! Opeth stops making 5.1 mix & SW and Fish decide not to make Fish first albums in 5.1 because they mean too few cares: Lots of people will never give surroundsound a chance because it’s too expensive and takes a lot of room. But some of them could get cheaper and ok surround headphones. More on Thread to publicize surround sound.

Any of you got surround headphones or have found some reviews??

In july I got Asus Strix 7.1 with 5 units in both sides:
I give them 4 out of 5 stars if you only look at the quality of them but 5 out of 5 if the price is included!
I looked after other surround headphones, but the others was said to work with dolby digital, so I guees Asus Strix 7.1 was the best to get for around 200 euro 2 month ago. I like them and have made a review here: http://www.janprintz.dk/anmeldelser/Strix7_1_review.html
Strix area.jpg
Other so called surround headphones are labeled: “ 7.1 channel surround powered by Dolby technologies” or “Immersive Dolby 7.1 surround sound” – Any knows what that mean? Simulated binaural surround sound or as Qsound?
Don’t think binaural surround fits my ears, because I’ve never really got the real surround feeling listning to binaural surround
I guess all in here have at least 4.0 speaker systems and surround headphones may not be needed. Unless you'll like to hear nice/loud surround music without any fights with flat mates or want a cheap way to get surround sound. 7.1 headphones could also be a very good start or gift for birthday/x-max and people who don't have surround systems yet!
What I could find of specifications:
Sony MDRDS6500: “7.1 channel virtual surround sound”
Sennheiser PC 363D “7.1 channel surround powered by Dolby technologies”
Sennheiser RS175 "… a more spatial and livelier stereo sound."
Panasonic RP-WF950EB-S Can’t find anything about how they handle 5.1 (they probably don’t)
Logitech G35 “7.1 channel surround powered by Dolby technologies”
Logitech G430 “Features 7.1 surround sound using Dolby technology“
Logitech Wireless Gaming Headset G930 “Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound”
SteelSeries Siberia 800 Wireless Gaming Headset with Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound
Turtle Beach - Ear Force Recon 320 Gaming Headset Dolby 7.1 Surround Sound - Dolby 7.1 Surround
Turtle Beach Ear Force XP400 Dolby Surround Sound
SADES SA922

I can find only one until now with true 7.1 surround sound:
STRIX 7.1 True 7.1 gaming headset with 10 discrete neodymium-magnet drivers and a plug-and-play USB audio station. My review on my web. Any suggestions to write that better? (English is not my best;)

Hello there OdysseyMusik,

Welcome to QuadraphonicQuad :)

A quick question if I may.. you say: "Opeth stops making 5.1 mix"

Do you mean Opeth have made a statement to the effect that they will no longer be producing any 5.1 music?

If so, where/from whom did you hear this information please?

Many thanks,
Adam

Hi Adam and thanks for the welcome!
This is a great forum!!!:)

No, I don't know anything of Opeth's future plans. I only know that the albums released few days ago was without a proper 5.1 mix:
Such a shame after they have done it a lot before!!!

But if my 5.1 / 7.1 mix of metastasia or La Grange Point of Nexus Six 5.1 mix gives some ok reviews in here, then I can offer Opeth I can make a 5.1 mix of Sorceress for FREE! - That could be fun!:)

I have these -

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-audio/razer-tiamat-71

very cool set that does a wonderful job with both quad and 5.1

That's good news!!! Very good there are more than one to choose from!
Asus Strix7.1 and Razer Tiamat 7.1 seems quite the same!
Both Driver diameter : Front : 40 mm, Subwoofer : 40 mm, Center : 30 mm, Side : 20 mm, Rear : 20 mm
Driver material : Neodymium magnet
Frequency Response (headphones) 20 ~ 20000 Hz
Price on Amazon: Asus Strix7.1 £180 and Razer Tiamat 7.1 £160

Biggest difference is that Asus Strix7.1 can run from a laptop (PC/mac) because it can run through one USB only (can use 2 USB; maybe for more power, but I use only 1 USB)
Both Asus Strix7.1 and Razer Tiamat 7.1 runs from desktop computers.
Razer Tiamat 7.1 needs a PC with 4 built-in 3.5mm audio jacks & 1 USB port for power (7.1 Surround Sound-enabled Sound Card for 7.1 Mode).

So not much difference if you have your music on a desktop PC.
But only Strix runs on a laptop...

Do you know about any music in 7.1?

Just found Tritton Pro 5.1 for only £60 with 4 neodynamic drivers in each side. But you then have to live with a decoderbox with Dolby Digital Technology...
Hard to tell about the connection. USB cable, optical cable and digital audio adaptor is mentioned.

But £60 only for 5.1 - NOT BAD for beginners!

Back