Graceland Article in Surround Professional

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
There's an interesting article in Surround Professional http://surroundpro.com/articles/publish/inside_surround/article_229.shtml regarding the mixing of Paul Simon's "Graceland" into surround. There's no mention of when it will be released or on which format, but it gives a good insight into the mixing of this one. Paul Simon himself had a lot of input into the mixes. We shall see if that is a good thing or not when it comes out. To quote 5.1 mixing engineer Frank Filipetti in the article's interview:

"Paul is not a big fan of throwing a lot of stuff in the rears. I’ve been working with Paul -- trying to be as adventurous as possible while at the same time maintaining integrity with the song."....... "He initially thought the surround stuff was a little too adventurous. I had put the listener in the middle of the band perspective and Paul wanted to keep a lot of the stuff in the front. On the other hand, he’s very fond of events suddenly changing perspective. So we kind of toned some things down and stayed a little more true to his vision".

Seems like a really discrete mix is now only a pipe dream. :smokin We shall see.

His first three albums were VERY discrete. He either does not like them, can't remember them, or was not involved in them (the mixes, of course).

Wish we would have gotten HiRez DVD-A's of those "first three", even if they were just 4.0 re-releases of the original quad mix. :(

At any rate, the recent CD set of his album remasters would have been sweet had they been DVD-A's of each album! (Yes, a lot more work, but sweet! :D )

zabble said:
There's an interesting article in Surround Professional http://surroundpro.com/articles/publish/inside_surround/article_229.shtml regarding the mixing of Paul Simon's "Graceland" into surround. There's no mention of when it will be released or on which format, but it gives a good insight into the mixing of this one. Paul Simon himself had a lot of input into the mixes. We shall see if that is a good thing or not when it comes out. To quote 5.1 mixing engineer Frank Filipetti in the article's interview:

"Paul is not a big fan of throwing a lot of stuff in the rears. I’ve been working with Paul -- trying to be as adventurous as possible while at the same time maintaining integrity with the song."....... "He initially thought the surround stuff was a little too adventurous. I had put the listener in the middle of the band perspective and Paul wanted to keep a lot of the stuff in the front. On the other hand, he’s very fond of events suddenly changing perspective. So we kind of toned some things down and stayed a little more true to his vision".

Seems like a really discrete mix is now only a pipe dream. :smokin We shall see.

That sucks cuz Frank is awesome. His work on the Meatloaf disc (he did his best to make chicken salad out of chicken crap!) and Polyphonic Spree is great.

Back