Chicago "Heart Of Chicago" MVI - March 11

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elmer

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From the Rhino Website;

Rhino's upgrade of the HEART OF CHICAGO as a Music Video Interactive (MVI) disc makes this decades-spanning retrospective an even harder habit to break. Originally released in 1997 as a 15-track survey of hits and fan favorites from the band's first thirty years ('67-'97), the compilation's MVI reissue now helps ring in Chicago's 40th anniversary in true 21st century style. The group's timeless music is presented in DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital and Advanced Resolution PCM Stereo mixes, and the disc is also loaded with videos, ringtones and other interactive bonus features and applications.

MVI is a DVD-based music format that, in addition to all the benefits of an audio disc, delivers higher fidelity and advanced mixes, leading-edge video and interactive extras. It also offers a one-click capability to save digital music files onto a hard drive. On HEART OF CHICAGO-the band's first title to get an MVI make-over-signature songs including “Satuday In The Park,” “You're The Inspiration” Hard Habit To Break” and the #1 hits “Look Away” and the GRAMMY®winning “If You Leave Me Now” will be richly enhanced sonic experiences.

Bonus video content to make you smile includes a new interview with Chicago, videos for “Hard Habit To Break” and “Will You Still Love Me?” plus live performances of “Make Me Smile” and “Beginnings” from A&E Live By Request.

The MVI Disc also features the URTone* ringtone application and ringtones for “25 Or 6 To 4,” “Call On Me,” “Saturday In The Park” and “Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?” (URTone only works in the U.S.). There's also a link to make your own mix of “Free” with NU-MYX, a photo gallery, buddy icons, wallpapers, Weblinks/Rom and a booklet PDF.

Formed in its namesake city in 1967, Chicago is the first American band ever to propel albums into BillboardHEART OF CHICAGO (MVI) continues Rhino's celebration of that milestone and the band's enduring popularity.

Selection # 343292

TRACK LIST
You're The Inspiration
If You Leave Me Now
Make Me Smile
Hard Habit To Break
Saturday In The Park
Wishin' You Were Here
The Only One
Colour My World
Look Away
Here In My Heart
Just You 'N' Me
Does Any Really Know What Time It Is?
Will You Still Love Me?
Beginnings
Hard To Say I'm Sorry/Get Away

At least it's DTS(y) Already have Chicago II and V on DVD A but there are some great tracks from CTA (their debut) that I would love to have in surround.

It looks like four tracks from II and V, and the two from CTA I am really excited about - Does Anybody Really... and Beginnings.

Plus, Wishing You Were Here had some of the Beach Boys doing harmony and would lend itself to 5.1 treatment.

Great news!

Oh well, at least it's in surround and it's DTS. But, oh.........................................

There is not enough Chicago in surround. I especially always dreamed of having the first album in high-resolution, so this upcoming MVI disc will be somewhat welcome, with the "somewhat" representing my disappointment in this not being DVD-A. DTS (thank you!), and "advanced-resolution" (MLP?) stereo are the MVI disc's saving graces, but would it cost Rhino that much more to release this in MLP Lossless Surround? I guess they are banking on the MVI disc's ringtones and such to increase sales? FWIW, I am an admitted fan of the 80s power pop as well and am very much looking forward to hearing those tracks in surround.

I just hope the advanced-resolution stereo and DTS mix aren't mastered like crap. :confused:

In any case, this is excellent news elmer. . .thanks for posting this! :banana:

If this is truly in 5.1 then I am all over this with high hopes of more to come!!

If it's true 5.1 then we should all get behind this release and buy it.The quad chicago stuff was great and the dvdas have been great too....we need more stuff like this to be released..

This is a pleasant and unexpected surprise. If the 5.1 DTS mixes are truly quality discrete mixes, it will be a real treat! Of course, if the mixes really suck then it's quite the letdown. I'd love to hear some more Chicago in 5.1. Those DVD-Audios of II and V have left me wanting more!

There are two "Heart of Chicago" CDs available. Is the second volume coming out on MVI, too? They both contain great music and I would find it hard to separate the two. It would have made a great 2-disc set. Maybe this is just a case of "baby steps" and it will come out at a later date. Puhleeeeeeeeze!

Vol.2 (from Amazon)

1. Dialogue (Part 1 & 2)
2. Old Days
3. All Roads Lead To You
4. Love Me Tomorrow
5. Baby, What A Big Surprise
6. You're Not Alone
7. What Kind Of Man Would I Be
8. No Tell Lover
9. Show Me A Sign
10. (I've Been) Searchin' So Long
11. Call On Me
12. I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love
13. Feelin' Stronger Everyday
14. Stay The Night
15. I'm A Man
16. 25 Or 6 To 4

Maybe this is just a case of "baby steps" and it will come out at a later date. Puhleeeeeeeeze!

It looks like it's just the 15 tracks above for now. I'm betting Rhino is thinking about releasing II and V on MVI disc similar to how Donald Fagen's DVD-As were re-released as MVI discs. Hopefully they'll take it further than that though. . .

Best,
Josh

I'll buy 'em, for sure. Heck, I got the Nightfly Trilogy just to support the format!

I hate to be a party pooper:

http://ctachicagofans.proboards21.com/index.cgi?board=talk&action=display&thread=1203466533

According to the bulletin board above the Rhino web-site has it wrong about this release. In true MVI style (sarcasm on my part) this release will not have a surround option. No DVD-A, no DTS 5.1, not even DD 5.1.
I also checked Amazon and CDUniverse and there is no mention of surround for this. I have no way to verify this but it sure likes like no surround. File this release under "why bother?". :(:mad:

Last edited:
Once again, a kick in the chops. Should I lose hope for the Black Sabbath as well?? I think I'll cancel the whole order from CDU.

Spence

P.S. Bullshit

So once again Warner doesn't use the MVI to its fullest potential. It's obvious they just don't care about those of us who want something more in our music. Tihsllub! (That's Bullshit spelled backward, pronounced "tishloob".

Back