Can anybody recommend a 5.1 switcher?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radiodaddy

Glad my DVD-A player also spins video. Can anyone recommend a good 6-channel analog switcher (so I can go between my current DVD-A and an SACD)? Serious question!

peace,
yrd.

The search feature is your friend. Click on "Search" then enter "switcher". You will find gobs of great info on the subject.

radiodaddy said:
Can anyone recommend a good 6-channel analog switcher (so I can go between my current DVD-A and an SACD)?

I'd suggest taking a look/listen to the EMM Labs Meitner Switchman unit. A very fine 6 channel analog switcher - used by many recording engineers and studios as well as audiophiles. See http://www.emmlabs.com/products/switchman.htm for more info.

Gosh, it's gorgeous; but I'm willing to bet it costs much more than an entry-level universal DVD-A/SACD player, right? So what is the price?

You can take a European vacation for the cost of the EMM Labs Switchman. I'd sure like to have one though! It's much more than a switcher. It's a supreme multi-channel passive pre-amp is what it is.

Thanks, Cai.

Search produced a 'doh' moment - Three RS A/B switches. It may not be an elegant, pure audiophile solution, but it should get the job done, and I'll have the $$$ left for that European vacation.

peace,
yrd

The Meitner Switchman is not a passive preamp, it's active. It has up to 10dB of gain available. Ed is supposed to be working on a "consumer friendly" version, which has inputs and outputs on the back, and 8 channels of I/O.

It is one of the finest analog preamps you can buy, regardless of price.

Regards,

John Kotches said:
The Meitner Switchman is not a passive preamp, it's active. It has up to 10dB of gain available.

Thanks for the clarification, John. I had a friend who auditioned one and the rep who brought it over said it was passive. My friend is big on passive pre-amps, so if he knew it was active, he wouldn't have auditioned it at all. He ended up not buying it anyway since he isn't doing multi-channel yet.

Every one of these boxes go for $200.00 to $400.00. A 2 channel A/V switch retails from $10.00 to $35.00 if you want one with a remote. Those extra channels are really costly. :confused:

Sandy,

In the case of the Meitner, you aren't buying a switchbox, you're buying a 6 channel analog preamplifier that competes with the best available analog stereo preamps.

In the case of Shawn's product, you are paying for a very solid product that becomes hands off once it's installed. Shawn even has a remote control option as well if you need one.

In the case of the Zektor, you are paying for the convenience of remote control, and the 3 sets of inputs, plus the typical profit for an equipment manufacturer.

If you aren't willing to pay the price for the very clean solutions that are offered, no one is forcing you to :)

Cheers,

I'm not deriding these wonderful high tech solutions to the switching problem, just hoping that a low cost alternative eventually appears. For the cost of these units a decent multi DVD-A/SACD player could be had, thus no need for the switcher. Just engaging in some parsimonius pettifoggery. :sun

ress4278 said:
Does anyone have experience w/ this switchbox?
Lance

I am using Shawn's switcher..

I am able to make use of triggers on my preamp which means I do not have to toggle between A/B on the switch to alternate between players. The switch stays out of sight behind the rack..

I'm very happy with it..

John the Depot Dude said:
I am using Shawn's switcher..

I am able to make use of triggers on my preamp which means I do not have to toggle between A/B on the switch to alternate between players. The switch stays out of sight behind the rack..

I'm very happy with it..

Ditto. My SACD changer and my DVD-Audio changer go into Shawn's switchbox, and, with the trigger simply assigned correctly on the MC-12, it switches automatically. If you put an Outlaw ICBM between the preamp and the switchbox, you get bass management for both SACD and DVD-A.

Nick

I wonder if those are Multi-track switchers????

:ugham:

Back