Modern player for DTS CDs, DVD-A, and SACD 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm.... How about letting people know what gear you have by creating a signature?
I'm constantly switching out things between two systems, one main one in my living room and my older "backups" for (very rare) bedroom use.

Since I've upgraded from 7.2 to 7.2.4 Dolby Atmos I have two Denon AVRs (currently using the X8500HA in the living room with an X4400H sitting unused in
the bedroom), an older Denon DBT-1713UD player, also neglected, and an Oppo 103, as I look upon the older units as something to switch out temporarily if the main system fails when a unit goes bad. As you pointed out earlier, some features are going away permanently, so it's good to have compatible backups.

You'll be glad to know I now actually have checked the Sony player's manual -- my Sony BRAVIA XR A80K 4K HDR OLED tv has Bravia controls that would synch -- and the plus side is the 4k UHD, which I don't currently have, but the downside is lack of HDCD. Some of the HDCD discs are just awesome sounding, but that seems to generally be missing in newer players, which is why I'm reluctant to switch out the older Oppo (and why I went for the 103 and not the 203 IIRC).

A combo of the Sony and the Oppo sounds cool, though! And expensive: not for the new player, but for 4k UHD discs :rolleyes: . I do streaming
mostly for movies, though, and the tv suffices for that; in fact, I upgraded recently to finally get a Sony tv that handles eARC for Atmos streaming.

If I can get to the end of the year without the new Dolby Atmos blu ray music releases not bankrupting me, I may go for the UBP-X800M2 to
parallel with the Oppo on my main system, and to save wear on the latter as a future backup.

Again, this forum robs my wallet ;) .

Last edited:
I can certainly relate to that!

In my opinion, the UBP-X800M2 is a bargain. Best Buy sells them for around $300 (new) and if you go their website, you can often find open-box models for very attractive discounts.
Found a new one on Amazon for $278, hmm, so what if I don't get the latest Chipmunks deluxe box in Dolby Atmos with ceramic peanuts, it's free shipping with Prime. Sold!

The next new one is 328, though, Guess I got a bargain. . . .

In my opinion, the UBP-X800M2 is a bargain. Best Buy sells them for around $300 (new) and if you go their website, you can often find open-box models for very attractive discounts.
What are the X800M2 capabilities for USB playback? I'm looking for gapless playback of FLACs in stereo, 4.0 (correctly output) and 5.1 to PCM over HDMI. Also I'd like to play MP3s though I have other options there.

Found a new one on Amazon for $278, hmm, so what if I don't get the latest Chipmunks deluxe box in Dolby Atmos with ceramic peanuts, it's free shipping with Prime. Sold!

The next new one is 328, though, Guess I got a bargain. . . .
X800M2 - Just plugged in. $257.93US.

If I can get to the end of the year without the new Dolby Atmos blu ray music releases not bankrupting me, I may go for the UBP-X800M2 to
parallel with the Oppo on my main system, and to save wear on the latter as a future backup.
This is what I do. Older hmdi based Oppo for ancient formats, like HDCD, picky burned discs, or surround dolby CDs, and the Sony player for the 99% of the remaining discs.

Last edited:
This is what I do. Older hmdi based Oppo for ancient formats, like HDCD or surround dolby CDs, and the Sony player for the 99% of the remaining discs.
:) Posting at the same time, the Sony 800 fills most needs. I use a Yamaha for HDCD.:)

The ultimate disc drive​

Want to dance around to your Super Audio CD collection No problem. If it's a disc, the UBP-X800M2 will almost certainly be able to play it.
Was $348 Canadian.
https://www.visions.ca/product-deta...d_hybrid_log_gamma?categoryId=0&sku=UBPX800M2
7AC9C25E4190D3ED9925B890786964BF26DA92C8_CEE2F18354085B8464B68B64D26FC77BFMTJPEGSCL1_i_400_featurtn.jpg

Hi all, trying to determine if there are any current disc players out there that are compatible with the DTS CDs from the early 2000s? Would prefer to be able to buy something new, but also open to being pointed in the direction of good secondhand options.

And if possible, I figure while I’m at it, I may as well try to find something that can also play the DVD-A layer of DVD-Audio discs, and multichannel SACDs. Compatibility with all three formats would be fantastic, but the DTS CD is my first priority, followed by DVD-A, and SACD last.

Forgot to mention, my current setup is a smart TV plus a 5.1 soundbar system (with satellite speakers) which seems to be compatible with just about every format out there (Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby, etc), so I’d like something that won’t necessitate a separate A/V receiver.
Played a DTS CD. (Venus & Mars) Sony UBP-X800M2

Back