Modern player for DTS CDs, DVD-A, and SACD 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also does not play my burned DVD-Rs. And I don't think it does 3D on the video side (although I don't have anything to test this with). But just about everything else.
However it will play burned Blu-rays, and I'm pretty sure CD-Rs.

I've been out of the quad game for a while but recently started considering getting a new streaming player. I'd love something affordable that can stream BDAudio, DVD-audio, and SACD over my home network. The Nvidia unfortunately can't do it.. I started looking into the UBP-X800M2 but some of the amazon reviews are claiming it only does stereo DSD over DLNA, not surround. Any thoughts?

Also does not play my burned DVD-Rs. And I don't think it does 3D on the video side (although I don't have anything to test this with). But just about everything else.
It plays 3D discs
IMG_8146.png

I have the step down version, the 700 and although it will not play a DVD-R SACD, it will happily play the raw DSD files from USB, 2.0 and 5.1.

However it will play burned Blu-rays, and I'm pretty sure CD-Rs.
I've played burned DVDs, it's likely down to whether +/-R, authoring of the content on the disc, or just the discs themselves. There was a time where not all players supported all discs ever made. Disc makers have come a long way in quality control and consistency, and the +/-R formats became a standard function all players supported more than a decade ago. DVDs just seem to be the pickiest of the most recent burned media types.

I've played burned DVDs, it's likely down to whether +/-R, authoring of the content on the disc, or just the discs themselves. There was a time where not all players supported all discs ever made. Disc makers have come a long way in quality control and consistency, and the +/-R formats became a standard function all players supported more than a decade ago. DVDs just seem to be the pickiest of the most recent burned media types.
Because my Oppo 105 is remarkably not picky about the discs that go in it, I sent out a handful of DVD-Rs that I had made from vacation videos, and had people complain that they couldn’t play them. It took a few tries to figure it out, but using DVD+R discs solved those problems. Of course, I don’t have all the specs on everyoneks players, but it seems like the +Rs have wider acceptance, with my limited sample size.

Because my Oppo 105 is remarkably not picky about the discs that go in it, I sent out a handful of DVD-Rs that I had made from vacation videos, and had people complain that they couldn’t play them. It took a few tries to figure it out, but using DVD+R discs solved those problems. Of course, I don’t have all the specs on everyoneks players, but it seems like the +Rs have wider acceptance, with my limited sample size.
There are two different incompatible DVD recordable discs: DVD-R and DVD+R. DVD-R was less compatible ande was discontinued earlier. You had to buy the kind of disc for the recorder you have.

Sony UBP-X800M2
I just blasted through this thread. I have the Sony, and I will agree with all the positives.
1. Buy it, it is cheap.
2. Yes, it plays all your question discs.
3. Someone said it's the last one to do so that you can buy new, presumed.
4. What are you waiting for, just buy it.
5. Small negative, it is only HDMI out, except stereo analog out, no MCH analog out. Looks like no HDCD and no burned DVD-R's.
6. I rip all discs and never use mine, but there if I need it.

My Magnavox[Funai OEM] 4K/UHD Blu-ray player will play MOD DVD-Rs but not my homemade DVD-Rs made using my Magnavox/SV2000[Funai] DVD recorders, my homemade DVD-Rs play on my other Sony & Magnavox optical disc players.

My DVD recorders can record DVD+/-R & DVD+/-RW, my various Sony optical disc players (DVD & [UHD]Blu-ray) play them all.

Kirk Bayne

I just blasted through this thread. I have the Sony, and I will agree with all the positives.
1. Buy it, it is cheap.
2. Yes, it plays all your question discs.
3. Someone said it's the last one to do so that you can buy new, presumed.
4. What are you waiting for, just buy it.
5. Small negative, it is only HDMI out, except stereo analog out, no MCH analog out. Looks like no HDCD and no burned DVD-R's.
6. I rip all discs and never use mine, but there if I need it.
:) Has two HDMI outputs, one with audio only, for those that like to send the video straight to the TV. Built like a tank.

All players - I was told not to use DVD-R or CD-R if you want your player to last longer. They are tougher on the player (error correction).

There are two different incompatible DVD recordable discs: DVD-R and DVD+R. DVD-R was less compatible ande was discontinued earlier. You had to buy the kind of disc for the recorder you have.
My recorder does both, as does my Oppo player, so to me there was no difference. I could play the -Rs and the +Rs I made through my Oppo.

:) Has two HDMI outputs, one with audio only, for those that like to send the video straight to the TV. Built like a tank.

All players - I was told not to use DVD-R or CD-R if you want your player to last longer. They are tougher on the player (error correction).
They probably aren't as well manufactured so aren't quite as mechanically accurate as stamped discs, so that might 'damage' a player in the long run due to vibration etc. But what you were told doesn't seem right, the Error Correction is either done in software or in hardware, and it being actioned will not affect the longevity of a player (it will be needed even on stamped discs), the ICs are powered anyway and its in a benign environment in the home, turning the device on & off shortens the lifetime.

They probably aren't as well manufactured so aren't quite as mechanically accurate as stamped discs, so that might 'damage' a player in the long run due to vibration etc. But what you were told doesn't seem right, the Error Correction is either done in software or in hardware, and it being actioned will not affect the longevity of a player (it will be needed even on stamped discs), the ICs are powered anyway and its in a benign environment in the home, turning the device on & off shortens the lifetime.
Laser life is shorter? I was told this somewhere ?? :cautious:

Laser life is shorter? I was told this somewhere ?? :cautious:
The stamped and recordable discs use the same laser, and it is the 'pit' that is detected, so the recordable discs may not have as good a signal read back by the detector (so I expect more errors), but that won't affect the laser. The one thing is that normal recordable discs probably don't last as long as stamped (unless its Pink Floyd Blu-Rays :( ), unless they are recordable M-Discs as they should last a 1000 years!

The stamped and recordable discs use the same laser, and it is the 'pit' that is detected, so the recordable discs may not have as good a signal read back by the detector (so I expect more errors), but that won't affect the laser. The one thing is that normal recordable discs probably don't last as long as stamped (unless its Pink Floyd Blu-Rays :( ), unless they are recordable M-Discs as they should last a 1000 years!
:cool:

The memory can play tricks...:D
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/playing-cd-rs-and-laser-life-expectancy.813324/

I've never heard of any laser based format player having its laser die. I have personally seen and read accounts of motors and servos in the player dying over time, because they're the most 'mechanical' parts inside a player and of course they will eventually wear with enough spins.

IMO if anything is going to fail as a result of error correction (retries), it would be the drive motor that will have to slow and adjust speed many times a second to find a readable speed for the laser to attempt the 'correction' read, then ramp back up to optimal speed once the missing bit is read. I don't believe lasers adjust the beam intensity for reading, they either see the bit or they don't, and the only compensation is slowing the disc spin rate to allow it more time to see the bit. That's why disc drives spin up and slow down when they encounter imperfections (scratch, dirt, etc). I'm basing this on my understanding, feel free to wiki check this for accuracy I don't have the time atm. ;)

Does the player do discreet 5.1 from SACD and DVDA or only stereo? May have been answered already somewhere...but I cannot find it. Thanks!
Discrete. It has FULL SACD support.
If by discrete you mean analog rca outs, no, not discrete.
Hope I've not been indiscreet. ;)

Back