Blu-Ray/HD-DVD Compromise In The Works

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Manmc said:
Unfortunately , according to Digital Bits , it seems Warners have united with Microsoft in an attempt to bury Bluray completely with regatd to home video.

http://www.digitalbits.com/#mytwocents

M

Well, no one said it would be easy - given the amount of patent royalties at stake here.

Time will tell if Warners comes to their senses on the need for one standard on this one.

bmoura said:
Time will tell if Warners comes to their senses on the need for one standard on this one.

Or indeed Sony, Brian! You and they are going to have to see sense one of these days...!

Patrick Cleasby said:
Or indeed Sony, Brian!

Well, the Blu-Ray folks have more backers in the PC and Gaming world in this next gen Video disc battle while the movie studios are evenly split.

So if the 2 sides don't agree, we could indeed have 2 standards - one for movies and a second for PC and Gaming.

As always, time will tell....

I don't know about this, I have a feeling they'll just kill the market. I wouldn't exactly consider HDTV as something that has caught on, with the TVs still so pricy and HDTV broadcasts so low. So there are few people with a HDTV set that would actually care about HD discs to begin with. Plus DVD is still relatively new enough, who the hell wants to buy yet another player. Add a format war on top of that, and the companies have just screwed themselves out of any chance for any of these formats to ever catch on. However, if I were going to predict a winner, I'd say HD-DVD would take it, it has the DVD name that everyone already associates with movie discs, plus the fact that Sony has very little luck with new formats, due to the stupidity of just about all of their decisions. The only way it could ever catch on is if it were forced in, release hd-dvd only releases that are backwards compatible, and eventually make all future dvd players hd-dvd players. I guess that would be too much to ask for, though, that would actually be a smart move, which is something the industry seems to be incapable of actually doing.

bmoura said:
So if the 2 sides don't agree, we could indeed have 2 standards - one for movies and a second for PC and Gaming.

Who cares about movies, PCs or gaming??! Let's just have MLP soundtracked Music DVDs, either with pictures or without, HD-DVD authored on a Mac, and everything is well with the world....

(Spot my bias people...)

We'll author the HD-DVD on a nice, friendly PC system Patrick.
Otherwise I am in total agreement with you.
Sony yet again are really taking the pi55 with the incessant new format mania.
(I know, I loathe Sony. So what!)

http://www.eetimes.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=161501129

More news on the supposed "merger" between the two.
The truly interesting part is the bit that states outright Blu Ray will not be compatible with existing DVD media but instead will truly be a new format altogether.
Quote:
But the Blu-ray framers, shooting for higher storage capacity and future expandability, adopted a disk structure in which the recording layer sits on a 1.1-mm thick substrate and a 0.1-mm cover layer protects the recording surface. To focus on the recording layer, Blu-ray uses an objective lens with a numerical aperture of 0.85. That establishes it as a new format, with little continuity from current DVDs.

For HD DVD, by contrast, such continuity is a selling point. The disk is similar in structure to DVDs, with two 0.6-mm-thick platters bonded together. The lens aperture is 0.65, slightly higher than DVD's 0.6. The similarities make it easier to develop a single lens-pickup head that can drive all CDs, DVDs and HD DVDs; it also facilitates disk replication. Disk replication company Memory-Tech Corp., an HD DVD supporter, has been able to demonstrate the quick conversion of disk-processing lines from DVD to HD DVD.

Lets hope the merger happens - a format war will do nobody any good at all, although with the holographic stuff just 3 short years away now, by the time merger is agreed, and the compromise format is agreed on, along with it's specifications, and then tested and put out for Authoring, the holographic stuff will be upon us.
Which really makes me wonder if either Blue Laser format will ever actually happen long term?
In short, don't throw away your current authoring equipment just yet.

Back