Ten Years After "A Space In Time" (limited-run SDE Blu-Ray with Dolby Atmos, 5.1, and Quad shipping 3/17)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why does it not completely null?

Well, it is at least a trip back to the original transfer from the quad analog to digital, and not a rip from that DVD. This would explain the better cleaner sound quality.
I've seen many cases in which the same mix/master was used but the files were not completely cancelling each other. If the "difference" between the two files is at -60/-70dB, then it's clear that the files are the same and some filters make the difference. In this particular case, the quad mix is the lossy files from the DVD, 100%, which is fine, but it's good to know where this quad comes from.

For those who don't believe this, just rip the disc and check yourself in Audacity.

I've seen many cases in which the same mix/master was used but the files were not completely cancelling each other. If the "difference" between the two files is at -60/-70dB, then it's clear that the files are the same and some filters make the difference. In this particular case, the quad mix is the lossy files from the DVD, 100%, which is fine, but it's good to know where this quad comes from.

For those who don't believe this, just rip the disc and check yourself in Audacity.
How do we know this? That the BD is mastered from files ripped from the DVD? And that they both do not actually use the same files that were created from the master tape? I mean that is it possible that they used the DVD to master from. But I'd like to know how you can be certain of this. The null tests does reveal a same capture from the tapes, but I gather it does not rule out that the BD uses the original fresh capture before the mastering to the DTS DVD.

And is it fine if the BD comes 100% from the DVD? The reason I suspect that the original capture was used for the BD (same one as the DVD used) is that the BR sounds clearer, cleaner and might be better. Clarity is not something I expect from DTS remastered. I am suggesting a lower generation file used for BD, and not a new fresh capture. Your statements do not make your case for lossy DVD used to make the BD. But I think you can make your case with more info if you have it.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.

Last edited:
And is it fine if the BD comes 100% from the DVD? The reason I suspect that the original capture was used for the BD (same one as the DVD used) is that the BR sounds clearer, cleaner and might be better. Clarity is not something I expect from DTS remastered. I am suggesting a lower generation file used for BD, and not a new fresh capture. Your statements do not make your case for lossy DVD used to make the BD. But I think you can make your case with more info if you have it.

That was also my opinion: That the blu-ray of the quad mix sounded cleaner than that on the DVD (channel placement corrected)...for whatever reason.

How do we know this? That the BD is mastered from files ripped from the DVD? And that they both do not actually use the same files that were created from the master tape? I mean that is it possible that they used the DVD to master from. But I'd like to know how you can be certain of this. The null tests does reveal a same capture from the tapes, but I gather it does not rule out that the BD uses the original fresh capture before the mastering to the DTS DVD.

Looking forward to your thoughts on this.
There is only one way to know, which is ripping the discs and comparing the files with a null test and by looking at the spectrograms. That’s what I did and I also posted screenshots in previous posts. The conclusion doesn’t leave too much room for interpretation.

Trying to verify this by listening to the discs will not lead to any conclusive result. It’s easier to check the files with software. There is no way our ears can do better.

I don’t understand why people keep negating the evidence. I posted screenshots and conclusions. If you don’t believe me just rip the disc and try it yourself. This is what I do when I have doubts about posts from others ;)

Last edited:

It still indicates "limited to 1000 units worldwide", so I would guess another 1000.

1704496992136.png

If that's the case it will be interesting to see how long it takes to sell the second 1000 compared to the first.

If another 1000 discs are being pressed I'm surprised there hasn't been a formal announcement ;)

Note: SDE originally announced this disc on: Fri 20 Jan 2023. And it was released on: Fri 17 Mar 2023 ;)

Last edited:
Back