WMA 5.1 ripping....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayards

300 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
...I have a WMA 5.1 channel recording which I would like to re-record to a different 5.1 format. Anyone know how I could get the WMA file into something like Nuendo to play with each channel - thus allowing me to tinker and then run through another decoder, like a DTS one?

Tried fiddling with Nuendo and my Delta 1010 card - but *uggered if I can get all the channel all of the time....Hmmmm

H :phones

bayards said:
...I have a WMA 5.1 channel recording which I would like to re-record to a different 5.1 format. Anyone know how I could get the WMA file into something like Nuendo to play with each channel - thus allowing me to tinker and then run through another decoder, like a DTS one?

Tried fiddling with Nuendo and my Delta 1010 card - but *uggered if I can get all the channel all of the time....Hmmmm

H :phones

I have done this, first you MUST get the WMA file into a "normal" 6 channel .WAV format, use something like Awave Audio. Then you use Wav2Wav6 to split the 6 channel .WAV into separat mono wav files to do what you want with.
If you get nowhere, I can help and do this for you. If required send me a PM.

Malcolm

malcolm

many thanks for the software tip. I had been trying to get the file into 6 tracks by replaying on PC and hoping Nuendo would pick them up. I'll have a look at Awave Audio - sound like the job.

It's for the Radio 4 new series "Hitchhiker's Guide" which is available as WMA 5.1 on the BBC's replay site until next Tuesday. Sounds very good in surround!

Need to turn into DTS so I can have a listen on "big" system downstairs rather than PC.

H

bayards said:
malcolm

many thanks for the software tip. I had been trying to get the file into 6 tracks by replaying on PC and hoping Nuendo would pick them up. I'll have a look at Awave Audio - sound like the job.

It's for the Radio 4 new series "Hitchhiker's Guide" which is available as WMA 5.1 on the BBC's replay site until next Tuesday. Sounds very good in surround!

Need to turn into DTS so I can have a listen on "big" system downstairs rather than PC.

H

I have already converted this episode, if you want a copy just let me know!!

Malcolm

WMA Audio in Multichannel to 6 mono WAV files should work in Nuendo.
Have you tried importing the WMA file into a Nuendo pool?
What happened?
Another application that can definitely deal with these is Premiere Pro 1.5, and there is a 30 day tryout version on the Adobe site.
What version of Nuendo are we talking about please?

Hi thanks for the offer of a copy - but managed to use Awave.

Neil, it's version 2.2.2. build 33 of Nuendo. I had tried playing the file while recording but that isn't working - will try the import option.

Thing is I musy have done this correctly a long time ago - I had the MS 6 channel test from from MS site - and broke it down to 6 mono WAV files.

I have a full copy of Adobe Pro 1.5 - not loaded on PC though. I have a Pinnacle DC2000 unit which seems only to want to work with Premier 6 - updating to Pro 1.5 stops it from working. Adobe does mention that the DC2000 only works with 6 in any case....

Maybe i'll load up Pro anyway and give that a play with too.

Thanks guys.

H :smokin

Bayards.
2 things...first, I would go get the 2 patches for Nuendo, build 35 and then build 39 as they fix some bugs. You have to install build 35 before build 39 or it won't work.
I cannot say for sure if it will import the 5.1 WMA file with any certainty as I have never actually tried this. It does import WMA though, and Nuendo will usually ask you if you want interleaved files splitting into mono on import.

Premiere Pro 1.5 will definitely import the WMA file though - but you will have to be careful about setting up the surround correctly as it is a bit of a pig to configure accurately.

Thanks Guys...I have been searching for this answer for weeks!!!!

I Have been trying with dBpowerAMP but it seems to downmix the files before converting so the 6 channels are actually simply left and right channels...
I do not have the luxury of a 5.1 soundcard on my PC so I am yet to hear these episodes in anything but Stereo (which is great, but I imagine would be fantastic in 5.1).

I am still in somewhat of a pickle however as I was only able to download the Real Audio Streams from the Tertiary Phase (I think my old ISP may have had some restriction downloading from mms servers as I recently changed ISP and can now download the Quandry Phase in both Real and WMA formats with no alteration to my setup in Net Transport)....

I don't think it is breaking forum rules to ask if any of you might be able to make available to me the 6 WMA 5.1 files from the Tertiary phase?? (Since they were freely available at some point in time).

Alternatively if anyone knows how to convert a Multichannel Real Audio file to wav, please let me know.. I am prepared to install Real Player if that's required, although I'd prefer not to.
Thanks again
Steve

Well I haven't been as successful as first predicted....
I downloaded the trial of Audition 1.5 and Awave, but can't work out how to get Awave to do anything useful at all, and Audition only scans the first 5 mintues of the files then says there is an error... the 5.1 WMA Files both play fine in Stereo and I have successfully converted them to Stereo Wavs, so I don;t think there actually is a problem with them....
Assistance???

Did you try Premiere Pro, as I suggested?
I know PPro will import this file, but I do not know about Audition.
Audition's Surround support is very, very limited. So much as to be almost useless....

Hey Guys .. I beleive there is a converter for this with WMA Pro. I down loaded it but have not had any time to try it it's part of the WMA surround package . Got a Big Promotion at work and have been busy with new job but have been e-mailing back and forth with Neil, and latest BIG project... :banana: Can't wait for it :smokin Been wanting to check in but ..Plant Production Supervisor .. Is sucking the LIFE out of my FREE time, And May be getting RE-Married for the second AND FINAL TIME....!!!! May be moving back To the old HOME state N.J.:sun Have known HER for 25 Years..and should have married her way back... But that's a story for another time and Place.. Hope to get more time to add some input :alienrob:

I rip with VLC 0.81.
Select file > open
then browse and select the file.
Select output stream, and settings button, then it opens a new window.
Select File and type the location and file to be saved (i.e. c:\test.wav)
go down and select encapsulation method and select wav.
In transcoding options select Audio codec then select "fl32", "512" and "6".
Click "ok" in those dialog windows, and vlc will start playing fast.
As it finishes you will have a ripped wma5.1 in a 6-channel wave file.
You can open it with AA too. Remember the channel location is:
1: Lf
2: Rf
3: center
4: LFE
5: Ls
6: Rs

This method works with ac3 and dts too.

Back