DSOTM DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadralizer

LIVERPOOL UK - it's FAB'N'GEAR & 'European Capitol
are these the real deal?
are they really taken from the
1/2" 4 track master like the blub says?

Dark Side Of The Moon
From the original 1/2" Master Tapes
This is the real deal. not the usual Q8 or SQ versions with all their limitations
(limited bandwidth on the Q8, Matrixed surround on the SQ etc)
but a genuine transfer from the original master tapes.

Finally you can hear Alan Parsons mix as it was always intended to be heard in studio quality audio.

MLP Lossless at 24/96 Resolution in 4.1
DTS from 24/48 Source files
Dolby Digital from 24/48 Source files

why buy a pirate copy on ebay anyway ?
(which maybe considered unethical - or not depending
on your point of view & vested interest to maintain)
when these files are easily downloadable from several torrents sources.

OK the copys offered on ebay might be a 'frankensteined' version BUT
if the downloadable version IS genuine then surely we should be grateful
to be able to benefit from the sonic excellence of the original
1/2" 4 Track Master Tape which will probably not ever be released thu official channels
(lets hope it's NOT on Ampex 456 Like The Wall Multitracks were!)

- Wish It Would be Here - NOW officially

Attachments

• dsotm_apquadmaster_dvda4.1cover FRONT.jpg
    dsotm_apquadmaster_dvda4.1cover FRONT.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 427
  • dsotm_apquadmaster_dvda4.1cover BACK.jpg
    dsotm_apquadmaster_dvda4.1cover BACK.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 422
Last edited:
It IS the real deal!

:smokin Wonder how they were liberated & who dunnit? :confused:

someone probably sneaked them from a tape store
one dark night & made a digital clone - must have been
a studio inside job somewhere as given the vintage the master
is most likely Dolby A encoded & theres not many ethusiasts @ home
with 4 channels of Dolby A or with a 1/2" 4 track to play them on.

Please keep in mind that it is ok to write about the good and bad things about this title. It is not ok, however, to write about downloading or otherwise acquiring this title from where ever it comes from.

Thanks
Bob

Last edited:
:smokin Wonder how they were liberated & who dunnit? :confused:

someone probably sneaked them from a tape store
one dark night & made a digital clone - must have been
a studio inside job somewhere as given the vintage the master
is most likely Dolby A encoded & theres not many ethusiasts @ home
with 4 channels of Dolby A or with a 1/2" 4 track to play them on.

Don't expect anything more from this source if TOO MANY PEOPLE ASK TOO MANY QUESTIONS. Too many can be just a few.

Please keep in mind that it is ok to write about the good and bad things about this title. It is not ok, however, to write about downloading or otherwise acquiring this title from where ever it comes from.

Thanks
Bob

PLEASE NOTE:
I HAVE NOT NOR WILL POST LINKS TO DOWNLOADS ..BUT
Anyone with 1/2 a brain cell can find how to download anything - just search on google brings up a raft of links - anyone who has issues with this should address them to the chief executive of google & demand their removal.

I only posted the question to see if this was the real thing, if it is, then
can someone please tell me where can it be bought commercially & legally ?

Lets face it if it was the genuine article, but not commercially available & the only way to get a copy is to buy one off ebay for £10 or so then so what?

I'm NOT condoning some cretin selling pirate goods on ebay BUT after all this is material that was released into the public domain as copyright product many years ago in an inferior format, and should be still available but isnt.

In the circumstances of it not being available for legal purchase then a download using file share is the next best option AND the greedy pirates don't get to benefit.

If anyone has issues with this maybe they should compensate the copyright holder directly?

In this instance the copyright holder would probably be Pink Floyd Music Publishers Ltd - why not send a cheque to them or direct to Dave Gilmour & ask him to donate the proceeds to his sponsored charity? that way everybody's conscience is clear

This is bad, don't spend your money on this. I know I didn't. Something like this raises a torrent of questions. I'm sure this was never meant to be an e-bay thing. If the people who did this (I Wish they Were Here) wanted $ they have gone about it all wrong. This is just a tribute to Quad at its best, for the few who like the history of dead audio systems.

AFTER READING THIS THREAD YOUR COMPUTER WILL NOW SELF DESTRUCT

I agree with Solaris here.
If the makers intended to make money from this, they would doubtless have had the thing glass mastered properly, and replicated 20,000 or so copies & done it properly.
Lets be honest, they would have sold them with no real problems.

The fact they didn't seems to point to it being a genuine tribute to a work of art that had never been heard in this quality before. Who knows.
But the people on eBay never cease to amaze me with some of the stuff for sale there. It's countless items, and it would not surprise me if many are stolen goods as well - ebay can be great but always remember
Caveat Emptor

This was obviously a work of love by someone who cared about mastering a faithful reproduction of the original quad master tape with no thought whatsoever for commercial gain. The title is NOT available commercially and was "released" to the public for free.

We at QuadraphonicQuad do NOT have a problem with the fact that people can download the title. In fact, we encourage people to do so, instead of buying the title at rip-off prices from con artists on eBay. These sellers are massively hurting the authors' intent, which was to make this wonderful title available for free and for sharing. It sickens me to see eBay slime profiting from not only the original copyright holders work, but also from the work of whoever took pains to put this together and release it for free to the public.

And yes, Mr. Quadralizer, anyone with half a brain cell can use Google to find where to download this title. In fact, that is what we encourage people to do; use GOOGLE! There are TONS of sites that are all about downloading music. QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to talk about the music, formats, hardware and other topics related to quad. It has been our experience that as soon as discussion turns to topics related to ACQUIRING music via free distribution channels, the flavor and quality of the discussion forum takes a turn for the worse (otherwise known as "the wave of leeches".)

So, here we are talking about the very thing we were warned not to. Let us please knock it off. Discussion of the merits of this title is encouraged. Discussion of acquisition methods is not. Again, like you said, use Google. 'Nuf said.

I've downloaded it a while ago, but never listened to it because i didn't have a 4 ch. soundcard, and the dvd player with the plastic loudspeakers just doesn't sound good.
just acquired a new soundcard, hooked it up and...
-o-my-lord.... it is beautifull :D

Back