Need help with a puzzler?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spenceo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
Well I've been playing with my new technology that makes DVD-A's and I've have good success. I'm getting a handle on editing techniques and have even figured out how to make a LFE wav for 4.1 DVD-A track. This is where I have a puzzling question that I just can't figure out. So here's what I got going on:

I record an LP using Audacity and my Maya 44 card all set for 96k/24 and all goes well making the 4 wavs. I make a composite wav of all four track and edit it for LFE. Then I cut and paste it with the four original wavs to achieve all 5 wave forms. This goes fine as well. Then I save all five wavs as mono wavs and prepare them for the DVD-A Solo software. Here's were I get stumped. When I load the wavs in DVD-A solo, it accepts the first four wavs but when I set the fifth wave I get an error stating that mono set group exceeds the DVD-A specs of 9.6Mbps. If I only load in the wavs for a 4.0, it works fine. If I use the above procedure but do the initial record with a 48k/24 format, no problem getting all five channels to burn. I find it hard to believe I can't get five channels in 96k/24 format to fit the DVD-A specs. I hope I stated this clearly and someone here can clear up my confusion. I do like my conversions I've done in the 4.1, 48/24 format, but I hope I can get it up to 96/24.

Thanks in advance for any help, Spence

I think you need an MLP encoder to do 5 or 6 channel 24/96. Neil has said that it is possible, but it's not "in the spec".

However, I think you are up against a limitation of the Solo software.

The same thing happens in Wavlab as well. 5 or more tracks at 96/24 is too much bandwith without MLP.

AAAHHHH, the MLP Encoder. I knew I was missing a piece of the puzzle. Thanks guys for the help.

Spence

And neither DVD-Audio solo or WaveLab support importing MLP files.
There are but 3 applications that will (So Far. I do know Cirlinca are looking into this)
discWelder Chrome
Sonic DVD-Audio Creator LE
Sonic DVD-Audio Creator.
Cirlinca have an older build of their application (And this is available on their website) that will allow 5.1 at 24/96, but you are creating a disc that will (probably) play off a PC, but is almost guaranteed not to on a DVD-A player. Some will, most will not - bitrate of 5.1 at 24/96 is 13.8 instead of the limit of 9.6.
Why 9.6?
I have absolutely no idea at all.

Back