2 Speakers are better than 5.1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief. Something else to worry about.
Archive HDD's packed up on the shelf . No! Got to use them once in a while!!
Three disc players packed up in the closet. No! Got to dig them out and use them!!

Jeez Louise.
Someone give me a coherant provable explanation for either, please? Not being argumentative, give me facts.

en replacing with others? As I have said...again.. streaming is RENTAL.. it costs monthly and zero choice in format.
FYI, I can download songs all day long from Apple Music. Not sure if that defines ownership, but it's in my control and possession.

Not certain exactly what is meant by format in this case, but downloaded songs can be played and listened to....lossless for stereo if you enjoy using a Surround Master or similar piece to upmix with. And discrete lossy 5 1 with 5.1 pre/pro or Atmos if you have the Atmos equipment

It's an incredible source of listening pleasure....if your music hobby is ultimately about that. If it's more about the technology, delivery type or equipment...understandable that it may not be valuable in that case.

I get nostalgic at times like everyone. But in the big picture for music lovers and high fidelity enthusiasts, these are absolutely "the good times". The very best we've ever enjoyed!

For me, it's all good and they all have their good and bad points.
I use streaming for quick access to the new and old stuff I want to hear and don't own. For many reasons I would never ever consider streaming as my main source of music. But at around $10 a month, it offers a huge high quality option I never would have believed possible only a few short decades back.

My computer holds approx 4,000 albums in 2, 4, 5.1, and Atmos files of the music I most love.
The space in my under 1k sqft is very limited so holding onto a large number of hard media is
difficult. Also for me, I found the speed and convenience of PC file access very appealing so I
only hold onto a very limited number of discs now.

I'm 73yo and been a "audiophile" most of my life. I'm absolutely thrilled over the world of music options we live in today !!! :51QQ

Not so much so for the rest of things in the world. :cry:
73? You old f... oh, wait. lol. :ROFLMAO:

Someone give me a coherant provable explanation for either, please? Not being argumentative, give me facts.
I believe it is electrolytic capacitors that are the problem, again. They age faster when they're never charged. I don't know the details but I'm all ears for anyone that does.

Lithium and indeed other rechargeable batteries also have problems. They slowly self discharge through internal resistance even if not connected to anything. But you don't want to let them go completely flat as that damages the chemistry, in different ways depending on the type of batteries (Lithium, nimh, etc). So anything with a rechargeable backup battery needs to be turned on often enough to keep the battery reasonably charged.

Find side tasks to keep your backup gear active. Have redundant ability with the most important parts and then the redundant items have bonus duties.

You need two of anything involving a computer or computerized device needed for timely gigs!
Computers have two modes: 1. Computer 2. Paperweight
A paperweight is not very useful at a gig you need a computer for and there usually isn't enough time to try to turn a paperweight into a working computer.

I believe it is electrolytic capacitors that are the problem, again. They age faster when they're never charged. I don't know the details but I'm all ears for anyone that does.

Lithium and indeed other rechargeable batteries also have problems. They slowly self discharge through internal resistance even if not connected to anything. But you don't want to let them go completely flat as that damages the chemistry, in different ways depending on the type of batteries (Lithium, nimh, etc). So anything with a rechargeable backup battery needs to be turned on often enough to keep the battery reasonably charged.
Makes sense.
I know about battery chemistry, I worked on NiMh battery alloys for years.

Find side tasks to keep your backup gear active. Have redundant ability with the most important parts and then the redundant items have bonus duties.

You need two of anything involving a computer or computerized device needed for timely gigs!
Computers have two modes: 1. Computer 2. Paperweight
A paperweight is not very useful at a gig you need a computer for and there usually isn't enough time to try to turn a paperweight into a working computer.
Yep. I always have two. lol. Well you can see the big one in my avatar. I also have a tall tower rig.

To sort of get back on track here, I have never understood, and never will, why some think stereo is superior to surround.
I mean if you're happy with stereo, that's great. But there are people that will go to great lengths to tell you why stereo is superior, and others that will rail against Atmos on e.g. YouTube.
I guess for some of these folks, making some dollars on YouTube or other media is easier with outlandish claims, get more followers, etc. Maybe their convictions are sincere, but I doubt that's always the case. I'll leave that right there without further comment.

In the early 70's I had, in 1970's dollars, a pretty expensive quad setup, at least expensive for me. I thought then as I do know, that surround music was the future. Well we all know what happened with Quad. But I have been energized by all the surround releases this year.

To sort of get back on track here, I have never understood, and never will, why some think stereo is superior to surround.
I mean if you're happy with stereo, that's great. But there are people that will go to great lengths to tell you why stereo is superior, and others that will rail against Atmos on e.g. YouTube.
I guess for some of these folks, making some dollars on YouTube or other media is easier with outlandish claims, get more followers, etc. Maybe their convictions are sincere, but I doubt that's always the case. I'll leave that right there without further comment.

In the early 70's I had, in 1970's dollars, a pretty expensive quad setup, at least expensive for me. I thought then as I do know, that surround music was the future. Well we all know what happened with Quad. But I have been energized by all the surround releases this year.
To some ears, mono is how music should be released to the public. Brian Wilson (the Beach Boys one) once said he preferred mono because it was “finished” and people couldn’t mess with it. Of course, he has been essentially deaf in one ear since before the Beach Boys existed.

Some people feel that two speakers for two ears is how things “ought to be.” Keep it simple, or something like that. The orchestra or band is on the stage, the stage is in front of you, and that’s the way it ought to be.

Of course, early quad systems were loaded with artifacts that were annoying to some. Those things you can’t unhear, like the really gross cough in that one release of “Wendy” (different topic).

Like armpits, everyone has a couple of opinions, and most of them smell bad.

FYI, I can download songs all day long from Apple Music. Not sure if that defines ownership, but it's in my control and possession.

Not certain exactly what is meant by format in this case, but downloaded songs can be played and listened to....lossless for stereo if you enjoy using a Surround Master or similar piece to upmix with. And discrete lossy 5 1 with 5.1 pre/pro or Atmos if you have the Atmos equipment

It's an incredible source of listening pleasure....if your music hobby is ultimately about that. If it's more about the technology, delivery type or equipment...understandable that it may not be valuable in that case.
re read what I typed.. Some of us do not live in the city ( thank God for that!) Some cannot believe how piss poor ( and expensive) internet can be in certain areas of the country. Even this site bogs our connection way down due to adds/pop-ups etc. And we do not trust APPLE or any of the others on the 'net' Good post LB-V (y)

re read what I typed.. Some of us do not live in the city ( thank God for that!) Some cannot believe how piss poor ( and expensive) internet can be in certain areas of the country. Even this site bogs our connection way down due to adds/pop-ups etc. And we do not trust APPLE or any of the others on the 'net' Good post LB-V (y)
Speaking about internet...I hear you. I don't know if you're on a dialup or satellite, but I've suffered through both for years. Finally they upgraded the backbone to fiber so I at least have ADSL. By the time the State adds their taxes it adds about a third to the bill.

But, the local power co-op is stringing fiber on their poles in our area. They own the poles, got some grants...well I'm waiting. Supposedly 1 gig up/down on the top tier plan. I'm waiting...waiting.

Speaking about internet...I hear you. I don't know if you're on a dialup or satellite, but I've suffered through both for years. Finally they upgraded the backbone to fiber so I at least have ADSL. By the time the State adds their taxes it adds about a third to the bill.

But, the local power co-op is stringing fiber on their poles in our area. They own the poles, got some grants...well I'm waiting. Supposedly 1 gig up/down on the top tier plan. I'm waiting...waiting.
Then you'll be in business for sure! It's slowly working it's way into Montana..pathetically slow...prices NEED to drop when it does arrive in those and our areas. We had satellite for years. Oh man! And weather was a huge factor for it to even work at all sometimes, and for a several days in a row. We just did get some dsl here, but it is patch worked in and is so intermittent too! Fiber has worked it's way into the town next to us, so shouldn't be too long..maybe? Dirt roads should make it easy I would think? Hope you're well! All good here! 🤝

Last edited:
Brian Wilson (the Beach Boys one) once said he preferred mono because it was “finished” and people couldn’t mess with it. Of course, he has been essentially deaf in one ear since before the Beach Boys existed.
That statement is very true. A mono mix is finished, you can't really do anything to muck it up. I like listening to mono through multiple speakers though!

I like to mess with stereo releases turning them into quad. Messed up stereo releases like the early Beatles albums with the vocals on one side are so much fun!

I think TV makers (and soundbar makers) are missing the boat - they should build in an FM transmitter based system to transmit the Hafler/DynaQuad difference signal to an active speaker (built in amp and FM receiver).

This speaker/amp system just needs to be connected to an AC outlet and, based on my experience with the placement of a surround sound speaker driven by the difference signal, can be placed somewhere in back of the listening area, no specific location required.

This would be an inexpensive way to demonstrate the benefit of surround sound.

Kirk Bayne

I think TV makers (and soundbar makers) are missing the boat - they should build in an FM transmitter based system to transmit the Hafler/DynaQuad difference signal to an active speaker (built in amp and FM receiver).

This speaker/amp system just needs to be connected to an AC outlet and, based on my experience with the placement of a surround sound speaker driven by the difference signal, can be placed somewhere in back of the listening area, no specific location required.

This would be an inexpensive way to demonstrate the benefit of surround sound.

Kirk Bayne
I don't think TV makers have ever had much interest in sound quality. Even less so today. Plus of course the profit margin on TVs has plummeted over the last few years to the point that there are very few manufacturers left in the game. So the last thing any of them wants to do is to add a single penny to the cost of production.....

Last edited:

I want to hear each surround piece in the surround system it was recorded for.

I do not want a generic upmixer. I want the correct decoder for the recording I have.

I want to hear each surround piece in the surround system it was recorded for.

I do not want a generic upmixer. I want the correct decoder for the recording I have.
Yep, understand! I intended to say if you enjoy using a Surround Master or similar, Apple offers lossless stereo to run it through them for a very nice Stereo 2 Surround experience. But you can certainly just keep her in the intended two channel stereo instead!!

Well then...Shit Howdy!!

Have a good Thanksgiving!!

Back