2023 - 50th for some Albums

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have ALL of the albums in various formats but wonder if SONY Japan will ever release the QUADRAPHONIC version of Billy Joel's PIANO MAN in special 7" packaging?

R.88947950c91ba138995becac2e4a7f24

BILLY JOEL -
Piano Man. Columbia PCQ-32544 (SQ), L-72544 (Q8)

Last edited:
I guess I should mention which 4:

Innervisions (stereo LP and CD, 1st purchased right after I read about the LP mastering challenges in R/EP mag):
https://worldradiohistory.com/Archi...ng-Engineer/70s/Recording-1974-06.pdf#page=15
Dark Side of the Moon:
Stereo CD, German SQ LP and MCH SACD

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road:
1/2 speed mastered stereo LPs, stereo CDs and MCH SACDs + DVD-As

Captain and Me:
Stereo CD, DVD-A and Quadio

Kirk Bayne

In 1973, I bought my first Quad piece, Akai CR-80DSS. It was also the start of a 20 year hi-fi career!

Bought 11 of 12:

Innervisions LP, CD, MoFi Gold (promo) & Japan SHM-SACD. MoFi is great. SACD is absolutely stunning.

Houses of the Holy 2ch 8tk, CD, CD in girders box and CD in Japan 📦 Caught Page live w/Black Crowes in Milwaukee

Captain and Me Q8, CD-4, Nautilus 1/2 speed, CD, DVD-A, Quadio BD box. Caught them live a couple times and had 2020 tix (canceled - Covid)

Goodbye Yellow Brick cassette, 2 LP, Direct Disc Labs 2 LP 1/2 speed, 2 Japan CD, MoFi Gold CD, 2 SACD/DVD-V, DVD-A and Super Deluxe 📦 Caught live w/group, Red Piano & w/Billy Joel at Wrigley

Call Me only bought Greatest Hits DVD-A

Skynyrd CD

Dark Side 2 ch LP, SQ, UK SQ, MOFI 1/2 speed, Japan CD, MoFi Gold CD, Shine On CD box, Guthrie SACD, Immersion box

Piano Man SQ, CD, expanded CD, MoFi 2ch SACD Caught live several times including w/Elton

Wild, Innocent and E-St. LP, CD caught live at United Center

Brothers & Sisters LP, CD, MoFi Gold CD, MoFi 2ch SACD caught live in Tinley Park IL

Band on the Run cassette, Q8, Dutch bubblegum colored LP, CBS Mastersound 1/2 speed, CD, DTS CD, 25th Anniv 2 CD and Super Deluxe caught Macca live at Bradley in Milwaukee

In the Right Place cassette, CD
caught live at Ravinia, Highland Park IL

What is this Dark Side Of The Moon record? I've never heard of it. :rolleyes:

I don't have these five albums (although I do have most of the "hits" from one source or another):

Innvervisions
Call Me
The Wild The Innocent etc.
Brothers And Sisters
In The Right Place

Are any of them highly recommended as complete works?

Oh man, looked at these over 50 titles. I'm going to go throw up now. We're not that fn old already..are we?
it really creeps up on ya, don't it :hi

too many great titles in that year to mention here that absolutely deserve a modern digital release, and also some more of them that were Quad back in the day, that are so far only an historical blip!

Typical of most of the old farts on this forum, I know all of these acts if not all of the specific albums of 1973. At some time, I'd like to see a list of the 50 most important albums of 2023. I probably would be familiar (recognize the music) of perhaps 10 of the acts. I guess that we all live in our own times.
How true AR ...naming 50 iconic albums of recent vintage [after all 2023 is NOT over] would be a chore. The late 60's and early 70's was a renaissance indeed for rock/pop acts but whenever I currently watch late night TV and even SNL and the musical acts are announced, I have NO idea who they are and after watching a lot of these performances leaves little desire to pursue their music any further.

At quick count, I have 35 of the 50.
20 of them would make my top 50 of '73

12 in my all-time top 50 (in order of release date/Top 50 list). Q denotes a title I bought in Quad in 73 or 74, at first Quad release. I've bought all on more than one Quad format, except as noted:

Dark Side Q
Captain & Me Q
Rhymin' Simon Q
Tubular Bells Q
Countdown to Ecstasy Q
Catch a Fire (no Quad)
Over-Nite Sensation Q
Yellow Brick Road
Quadrophenia Full album Quad +earlier partial release
Piano Man only bought SQ Q
Brain Salad Surgery only bought DVD-A
Band on the Run Q

Surrounded in '73!

1973 was a big year for me - it was my last year at music college and when I first moved to live in London. I was buying a lot of the current albums, several of which have been already listed here.

There are a couple from 1973 that haven’t been mentioned yet that I have mixed in surround for 50th Anniversary box sets - it’s going to be exciting when they are announced! I am enjoying revisiting albums that I enjoyed before I started my profession in the recording business!

As I started in 1974 I am looking forward to some important anniversary connections from next year onwards too!

SWTx

The late 60s thru mid 70's were banner years. I'd say that anyone here could find a bunch more albums from 1973 that would make their list of favorites. One of mine is Abandoned Luncheonette by Hall and Oates. I bought it for She's Gone, but found that I liked the rest of the set as well. It was before they went totally pop...and got very successful. [OOPS! I see it made the list. Good choice!]

The very weird Birds Of Fire would also make my list.

I know that @J. PUPSTER loves Donovan's Cosmic Wheels.

There Goes Rhymin Simon is a solid album. [OOPS! Yet another that is indeed already on the list. I need to look at these things more carefully.]

Loggins and Messina Full Sail is a favorite quad of mine.

Mountain's greatest hits was released in 1973. I believe that it is the only quad of Mountain that we ever got.

Birds of Fire and Full Sail are among my all-time favorite and most played Quads. I bought Q8, SQ and SACD Quad of them both. They would both rank above all but a couple on my 12 of 50 listed above. Best of Mountain - bought Q8 & SQ. Would LOVE to rebuy it on Quad SACD. Hopefully soon.

A few other SPECTACULAR '73 albums in my year's top 50:
Quads:
Welcome - Santana
Love, Devotion & Surrender
I Got a Name - Jim Croce
Ship Ahoy - O'Jays
My Maria - BW Stevenson
Chapter VII - Buddy Miles
Now & Then - Carpenters
Deliver the Word - War
Still Alive & Well - Johnny Winter
Headhunters - Herbie Hancock