5.1 Analog (6 RCA jacks) Splitter Box ???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The manual is pretty cryptic about this but I found this on Amazon as Onkyo replied to someone about it.

The HDMI SUB OUT is to have a secondary TV displaying the same content as the main zone

So my AVR has both "Sub:" & "Main + Sub" HDMI ports (pick one) connected to a TV & the AVR processes the Audio and the Video is sent back to the TV via ARC function I suppose.

Learn something new every day, as they say. Or, you can teach an old dog new tricks even if he fails to remember them. :unsure:

Kal you were indeed right to be doubtful but I'm guessing you knew I was barking up the wrong tree from the start.

I have mine (MAS7.1) in storage in case I ever need to go back to unbalanced (RCA) analog switching.:)

Same with me... In my case I am *still* using unbalanced analog components. The 7.1 is nearly impossible to find these days...and Zektor is many years out of of the analog switching field.

I know I'm repeating myself...

Balanced analog audio connections eliminate SO MANY noise and ground issues. For any folks concerned with DAC quality and such, the noise issues that come along with unbalanced connections are magnitudes beyond any DAC quality issues with even the cheapest DACs. (At least for the last 20 years since we've had 24 bit AD and DA converters.) This is where to invest your time with your system for the biggest return.

Interconnections are the number one issue and failure point.

I know I'm repeating myself...

Balanced analog audio connections eliminate SO MANY noise and ground issues. For any folks concerned with DAC quality and such, the noise issues that come along with unbalanced connections are magnitudes beyond any DAC quality issues with even the cheapest DACs. (At least for the last 20 years since we've had 24 bit AD and DA converters.) This is where to invest your time with your system for the biggest return.

Interconnections are the number one issue and failure point.

Jim, I am very sorry to have to agree with you. The balanced stereo connections from my Oppo 205 to a Parasound P7 preamp followed by balanced connections to a 2-channel power amp are dead silent. But the unbalanced 7.1 connections from the Oppo 205 to the P7 unfortunately have a low level hum when the P7 volume control is cranked to 100% (or Theater Bypass mode is selected.)

Jim, I am very sorry to have to agree with you. The balanced stereo connections from my Oppo 205 to a Parasound P7 preamp followed by balanced connections to a 2-channel power amp are dead silent. But the unbalanced 7.1 connections from the Oppo 205 to the P7 unfortunately have a low level hum when the P7 volume control is cranked to 100% (or Theater Bypass mode is selected.)
That's one reason that I finally relinquished the P7.

So I was in the market for something like a Zecktor switch box. I found this on line and bought one.
27.91US $ 30% OFF|8 Ports 2 output Composite 3 RCA Video Audio AV Switch Switcher splitter Box Selector 8in 2out 8x2 for HDTV LCD DVD|av switch|3 rcarca video - AliExpress

It's just a switch and its completely passive. capacity is 8 in and 2 out with 3 channels each. By using each output for half of a 5.1 setup you could conceivably connect up to four 5.1 devices. Nicely priced too. Ships from China.

I'm wrong on this. You would need 2 boxes to switch 5.1 audio. The two outputs are not independent

Last edited:
I think that balanced connections have become rather mythologised. From an engineering perspective balanced connections only confer one advantage over unbalanced – a reduction in induced common mode noise. If you don’t use very long cables in a noisy environment they are of no particular benefit. Indeed in most other applications they are arguably worse. All other things being equal a balanced transmission – receiver circuit will have higher self-generated noise and distortion than an unbalanced one. They have twice the number of components and are therefore twice as unreliable (and twice as expensive).

So I was in the market for something like a Zecktor switch box. I found this on line and bought one.
27.91US $ 30% OFF|8 Ports 2 output Composite 3 RCA Video Audio AV Switch Switcher splitter Box Selector 8in 2out 8x2 for HDTV LCD DVD|av switch|3 rcarca video - AliExpress

It's just a switch and its completely passive. capacity is 8 in and 2 out with 3 channels each. By using each output for half of a 5.1 setup you could conceivably connect up to four 5.1 devices. Nicely priced too. Ships from China.
I have a couple of Phillips (made in China) mechanical analog switches capable of 4x 5.1 in and 1x 5.1 out. Pretty sure I bought them at WalMart 10 or more years ago.
I use them to switch between the sound card outs on 2 pc's and an Oppo. I have had to tear them down and clean the mechanisms a few times with WD40 or electrical contact/tuner spray over the years, no big deal really.
But they continue to suit my needs.

I think that balanced connections have become rather mythologised. From an engineering perspective balanced connections only confer one advantage over unbalanced – a reduction in induced common mode noise. If you don’t use very long cables in a noisy environment they are of no particular benefit. Indeed in most other applications they are arguably worse. All other things being equal a balanced transmission – receiver circuit will have higher self-generated noise and distortion than an unbalanced one. They have twice the number of components and are therefore twice as unreliable (and twice as expensive).
While I agree that for home use using short connecting cables balanced connections are mostly unnecessary, they still offer a few advantages. While very expensive interconnect cable may be a waste of money the use of cheap cables will almost certainly cause hum and noise problems. The quality of the cables is of much less importance with balanced connectors. The XLR type connectors lock in place and so don't come loose like RCA's often do. If for some reason you are placing your amplifier 20 or 30 feet away from the rest of your equipment good luck using unbalanced connectors! Balanced transmission and receivers circuits using high quality Op-amps, or purpose built chips will have very low (inaudible distortion).

While I agree that for home use using short connecting cables balanced connections are mostly unnecessary, they still offer a few advantages. While very expensive interconnect cable may be a waste of money the use of cheap cables will almost certainly cause hum and noise problems. The quality of the cables is of much less importance with balanced connectors. The XLR type connectors lock in place and so don't come loose like RCA's often do.

Yes, but those are largely arguments for electrically decent cables and mechanically sound connectors not for balanced signals per se (which historically happen to use them). You could of course use XLR connectors single ended if you wanted to take advantage of their mechanical strengths. But I'm not trying to deny that for long cable runs in electrically noisy environments balanced transmission is very useful. I never like (nor need) to send line level signals more than a couple of metres and have a benign electrical / RF environment so they've never been of any use to me.

Balanced transmission and receivers circuits using high quality Op-amps, or purpose built chips will have very low (inaudible distortion).

Agreed, but I'm simply arguing that they are not inherently better than unbalanced in any other parameter than external noise rejection as some seem to claim. And the additional noise and distortion generated, however slight, will of course not be cancelled by the differential circuit since it is not common mode. I've seen people ascribe all kinds of magical music enhancing properties to balanced transmission!

Last edited:
I have tried to get a zektor swithbox here in the states but have never seen one come up on ebay...ever! anyone have an extral lying around collecting dust that they want to sell?

I have tried to get a zektor swithbox here in the states but have never seen one come up on ebay...ever! anyone have an extral lying around collecting dust that they want to sell?
Maybe try a post in the QQ Swap Meet topic. Good luck. Bought mine several years ago on Ebay & I can only imagine they've become more scarce.

Reactions: TVB
Unbalanced connections aren't automatically lo-fi or noisy. And it's true that (especially with some older high end studio gear) being snobby with a proper single ended connection can avoid a preamp stage and thus any noise or non linearity from it. Or avoid a transformer coupling. As soon as the next box is more than 18" away though all bets are usually off and the noise introduced is the elephant in the room.

But aside from all that, this has turned into a "calling card" situation. The same way that bluray is usually a calling card for proper mastering and CD is usually a calling card for volume war mastering which has nothing to do with any format limitations. Products that only have unbalanced connections and further, only rca jacks, are usually a calling card for cheapness. Professional grade audio products are just going to have a balanced option just because.

How do you arrive at that figure? What sources of noise are you considering?
I pulled it out of my ass but it's a general comment from making connections between audio gear for the last 30 years or so.

Noise sources? Mains power AC frequency and stray RF.

18" cables seems short enough that any noise problems would be unlikely, just don't use cheap cables!

With boxes sitting on top of one another or right next to, even 18" cables are too long, but hard to find shorter. Again a good reason to use Blue Jean Cables as they can be custom made to even short lengths. However, not for me... long ago I bought a future proof quantity of Monster Interlink 100 cables, used 'em for years for everything & have zero noise or connection problems. But it does look like torrent of black spaghetti behind the boxes.

My Anthem pre-pro has only unbalanced RCA inputs but 7.2 (dual LFE) balanced/unbalanced outputs. If I had Krelll monoblocks sitting by each speaker I'm sure I'd be using the balanced outputs. But if I could afford Krell's I might instead be driving a much nicer car....

Back