A "Must Read" for reel owners

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html

This would seem to be a really fine solution for the problems caused by old tapes.
And baking will often need to be redone.
Best thing to do when they have been baked is to transfer immediately to digital at the highest resolution you can manage, by all accounts.
Next question is, if I pay the bill - will anyone in the US get me one of these & ship it over to me???
Please???

Then I can start going round finding old UK Reels.....now I have a lovely old TEAC A3340-S.
:sun

This seems like a somewhat more scientific solution than the one used by my old band's engineer: "Yeah, I left the tapes out in the (California) sun for a few hours, and they played great!!" Whatever works, I guess...

Neil, feel free to PM me if you haven't found anyone to send you one of these units yet.

neil wilkes said:
Apparently, EMI did.
Intresting... any idea of *what* has been released on QR by EMI (The Gramaphone Company) HAYES - MIDDLESEX - ENGLAND???

I wouldn't recommend baking a tape unless you really need to, and are ready to transfer it to something else right afterwards. While tape baking does a good job of bringing old tapes back to life, it's only temporary.

Heating the tape up speeds up the aging process of the tape. While the immediate results are good, the long term results are not. In fact, I've seen tapes that eventually ended up in a much worse condition (a few weeks) after being baked.

Just something to keep in mind.

Back