About multichannel playback with a server and files

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albert logan

To answer as best I can to fellow member quicksrt query, I've decided to open this thread, this way I won't hijack the thread where he asked the question.

I wanna know more about multichannel playback with a server and files. Three two chan DACs might be the way to go for now. Can someone post a link to a thread on that subject. I saw nothing while looking at the a as forum on this.

I don't know if I'm interpreting this right, but I'll take a shot at it. If I'm mistaken, please don't shoot me down too harshly...;)

Your question seems two-fold; 1st, how to decode multi-channel, and 2nd how to do with with a server.

1st: Any multi-channel receiver can do the job, but if your budget allows for it, you can use any combination of power amps, pre-amp, pre-processors (DACs) and or receiver you fancy.

Potential solutions for playback:

Source player connected to storage, Multi-channel receiver, speakers

Source player connected to storage, Multi-channel Pre-amp, power amplifier stage, speakers

Source player connected to storage, DAC, pre-amp, power amplifier stage, speakers

Note for SACD quality playback: To avoid having to use down-conversion to PCM when using a receiver, DAC or Pre-amp without DSD bitstream decoding, one has to choose an amplification option with 6 or 8 channel analog pre-amp inputs, in combination with a decoding-capable player, such as a HK DVD47, or Oppo BDP-103 or BDP-105, all of which have onboard DACs with analog pre-amp outputs.

---------------

2nd: File severs come in many shapes and sizes, from external, networked hard-drive with onboard files sharing utilities like WD myCloud to a regular PC configured for sharing certain folders or types of files, to a full-blown NAS or dedicated hi-res file server costing many thousands of dollars.

Networked content access and usage.

The two main ways to do it is using SMB type network shares (Windows shared folders) or a device running a DLNA server, which shares a read only access to certain devices and users. You can also you special software such as "Plex" to catalog and share/use stuff across the network.

----
Real-world scenario:

In my case, to avoid having to run a Microsoft server of fumble with a linux server, I bought a device called the WD TV Live Hub 1TB Media Center It had it all in one box. Unfortunately, It was expensive, and somewhat slow, which impeded it's uptake by people unfamiliar with the demands of doing what it does, and how low the price point was for a device capable of so much.

The ROKU became dominant, and now people tend to use that instead of networking, in combination with removable storage, but I digress...

The WD unit made my shared files available to anything connected to my network, and played it flawlessly on my home theater system. I backed-up all my CDs, some DVDs, picture albums etc... And mostly use the networked files now, apart for my SACDs which I still use in their original disk format. My collection is always growing, and over time, I've proceeded to acquire another WD unit, then added external hard drives to them, which never get disconnected anymore. Everything is accessed using a network connexion. I do most of the playback using my Oppo, though the Sony is sometimes used, and one of the WD units is used in the bedroom to access everything.

---

Below, is the whole picture on how my setup and the way it's all interconnected.(All, except for the turntable which has no link to the bedroom system and the HK3490's only Coax port is shared between two devices, I have to switch the cable manually between the Sony and Oppo).

Variations and possibilities are limitless; this is just to give you an idea of what can be done:

avset.jpg

Now, I hope this post was helpful and that it was in line with your questions about this stuff. You can find further reading by typing "setting up a multi-channel home theater" in Youtube or Google, and "sharing files over a network".

Nice post, albert. That should be very helpful to folks looking to delve into this side of the spectrum.

I got into media players back around '06 when they were just starting to appear on the market and had finally been manufactured with strong enough processors to do what I needed them to. I started with the 2nd gen WDTV Live box and it was pretty darn efficient at the time - albeit with some odd quirks.

Nowadays, I'm using a kdLinks HD700 and it's an amazing little box. One of the strongest processors on the market at the time of its release, it'll play just about anything you throw at it. Like most players though, it will not play a SACD iso...but that's to be expected. I use SATA docks with a USB connection and just keep a pile of SATA drives sitting around.

I toyed with the idea of a 'media server' for my home, but quickly realized that the amount of storage I'd need would be problematic. I generally back up everything I own - be it music, DVD, blu-ray, whatever.. of which I have tons (1100 CD's, 500'ish DVD, about 250 blu-rays, tons of vinyl, etc.). So I knew I needed a lot of space, and went with the SATA drive option. I currently have 12 drives totalling 20 TB's of space. Also, if my router ever croaks...I can still sit down and enjoy some music, movies, or whatever without having to go digging for the original physical media.

So, just adding my 2 cents worth here. albert has, literally, drawn a picture of how to set it all up. The components are totally up to the user.

Also, albert, if you feel the WD boxes are too slow, you should look into the kdLinks line. The menu's aren't quite as nice as the WD menu's, but the box itself is a juggernaut. You click on a 40gb blu-ray file and it plays instantly. No delays.

Nice post, albert. That should be very helpful to folks looking to delve into this side of the spectrum....

Thank you.

... albert, if you feel the WD boxes are too slow, you should look into the kdLinks line...

Well, they can be a sluggish. Using the Oppo made this a non-issue, but I'm curious... I'll look into the KdLinks. My curiosity's been poked. Now I have gizmo shopper's itch...:cool:

Back